1. Darius Marley

Darius Marley Member

After 10 years, I'm ready to tell... not just sell.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Darius Marley, Jan 2, 2019.

Hello, everyone!

It's 2019 and that means I've been a full-time voice actor for 10 years... and although I've been very happy reading thousands of commercial and corporate narration scripts, I'm ready to tackle the challenge of storytelling through audiobooks.

I've also written two books, and will self-publish this year.

By the way, if any of you writers are curious about the sometimes intimidating world of audio, just ask!

Darius Marley

2. Artifacs

Artifacs Senior Member

Welcome to the forum. :)
    Have you any favourite genre you like to write about?
    I'm currently stragling with a freshly started WIP sci-fi humorous/adventure non-pretentious novel. And the humor is the hardest part.
    Hope you have fun here.

Cave Troll likes this.
  3. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Hey there! I was just recently wondering about voice acting. Never done it before but definitely interested - how did you get into it? What's the job like? I imagine it's freelance work that you look for periodically. How long does a job last on average?

Well done on having written two books! Good luck with them :) What genre are they?

4. Darius Marley

Darius Marley Member

Thank you very much for the welcome! This does look like a fun place.:D

Yes, humor is a tough genre... so much rides on little details... and sci-fi is so often all about details. You're especially brave for combining sci-fi with elements of humor!

Artifacs likes this.
  5. Hammer

Hammer Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

Hi @Darius Marley, and welcome from me too

looking forward to maybe seeing some of your work and hearing about voice-acting

the ex-lady-hammer is an actress - very good at comedy because she never smiled... I mentioned that I would like to do some voice acting and she just told me that I had the face for it. Cruel, very cruel.

Alan Aspie and Cave Troll like this.
  6. Darius Marley

Darius Marley Member

Hey there back! I'm always happy to know there are people out there who are actually interested in my bizarre line of work.:p

Yes, it is almost entirely freelance. We voice actors like to joke that "we're unemployed as soon as the current gig is finished." Of course the trick is to keep gigs coming down the pipeline, which is the hardest part of the job. I stumbled into this career while copywriting, which eventually led to writing for commercial scripts... then ultimately to a studio director telling me that he liked my voice so much, he wanted me to do the VO for a spot he was working on.

Aaannnd... I've been reading out loud in a small dark room ever since then.

As for my books: One is humorous fiction about a guy in the restaurant biz. The other one started as a treatment for a TV comedy that never got picked up, so I turned it into a book.

Thank you for the kind wishes!

7. Darius Marley

Darius Marley Member

Thanks for the welcome!

We're on the same wavelength. I've always liked to tell people that "I have the perfect look for radio." The worst bit is when people quickly agree. Haha.

I'm new on this forum, so I'll spend some time getting to know how it all works... but eventually I would love to share some stuff I've written, and hopefully get feedback and inspiration from some of the more experienced(!) self-published authors.

8. Artifacs

Artifacs Senior Member

That mix has already been done before, so I'm not entirely walking in the dark. My real nemesis is English grammar. I'm working on it.
    I guess in a couple of weeks you can read my first chapter in the Workshop. It would be great to get some feedback from you when it's ready. I'd like to read some of your work, too.
    Have fun exploring the forum.

9. Darius Marley

Darius Marley Member

I'm currently located in Asia, and I'm constantly exposed to multiple languages with various rules and structure. So... yeah. Grammar. It's not always user-friendly, is it? :eek: I've decided long ago that it doesn't really matter, though. Just write. Get your thoughts on the computer screen, and THEN worry about grammar and all that other stuff. There are plenty of talented editors out there who will gladly tuck into the nastiest piece of work.

Speaking of work, the Workshop sounds like the next spot I should check out! Of course I'd be glad to see your first chapter there. After I've figured out how to comfortably navigate this forum, I'll share a few snippets of my own as well.

Artifacs likes this.
  10. Darius Marley

Darius Marley Member

You might have noticed that I replied to you, but I neglected to use the "reply" function. See what I mean by "comfortably navigate" the forum? Apparently I have some learning to do before I can trust myself to really get going here. :D

Artifacs and David Lee like this.