1. SteveThomps557

SteveThomps557 New Member

Hi...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by SteveThomps557, Feb 19, 2019.

Hi,

I’ve tried a spot of writing in the past, but I always struggled to maintain the motivation with fiction and tended to stick to gig and music reviews. I made the decision recently to stick at it, and I’ve been more productive than I’ve ever been before. I’ve even finished a short story!

Anyway, I joined the group to seek out like-minded people, learn from their (your) writing and hopefully get some of my writing critiqued as well.

I’ve got two young kids and the little time I get to myself I write. There is a good local writing group, I just don’t the time to spare to get down to it.

I’ve written a little dark fiction (I think it’s dark…), have an idea for a novel (Social realism – working class/set in NE England), I’ve started a play (inspired by Pinter/M.McDonagh), and I’ve got an idea for a poetry project.

…and that’s it, so far…

So…Hi.

Steve

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2019
    Some Guy likes this.
  2. Somethingnew

Somethingnew Member

Hey Steve. Welcome. I'm new too.

I'm also home with two littles and my own business. I've decided to carve out time for writing even though it feels like an impossible challenge.

Do you have a Me-Time routine? I'm adding writing to my morning routine. I get up at 4:45, have some coffee, work out, do a social media post for my business depending on the day, shower, then write with anytime leftover before my kids wake up around 7.

To be honest, the "writing" part started yesterday, but I'm at 100% of my goal effective today. I'm hoping that as my confidence increases, I'll be inspired to get up earlier for more writing time.

If you want to build Me-Time routine, I'll volunteer to help. It's my specialty.

Good luck, and glad you're here.

3. SteveThomps557

Hi,

Yes, I have a loose route - I have a note book with me at all times for writing ideas and stuff down. I've tried this before and it fizzled out, but I'm doing OK at the minute.

I tend to write more with a pen and paper and get transfer to the computer once the kids are in bed, so about 8pm. I can typically last an hour before I start to feel a bit of screen fatigue. Typically after this, I'll pick up a book and have read. I work in a University so have a library near me all the time, which is incredible. I get over on a lunch hour and get a little work done then, too.

Good to hear from you!

best wishes,

Steve

4. Somethingnew

Somethingnew Member

I have to read more if I’m going to write. Right now, I listen to audiobooks to support my business, but I need to fit in reading time, too, especially since I’ve never read the genre I want to write.

I’m torn between paper and computer. My emotional connect is better on paper, and there’s research to support writing on paper; however, I get frustrated that my hands can’t keep up with my thoughts. Like you said, I also fatigue quickly on the computer. My business is online too, and I’m not a sittter. Regardless, I still like I’m wasting time when I write by hand.

I guess I’ll spend some time experimenting with both and see what works.

Have you considered a VA or transcription service?

I wish I could get the kids to bed that early. I usually see clients til 8/8:30 every night. By that time, I’m ready for bed myself. My writing time will likely stay in the morning.

I look forward to watching your ideas develop.

5. SteveThomps557

Pen/Paper i quite enjoy, I try not to worry about full punctuation and form, I just let it fall out as is, and then I can piece something together from that nonsense on the page. Some works, some doesn't - it all helps, I think.

I wouldn't use VA, no - I quite like my note pad and i bought a nice pen :D

What genre are you looking to write?

My kids are 1 & 3, so bed time is early, for now. . .

6. Somethingnew

Somethingnew Member

Bedtime should be early for us, but it’s not. My kids are soon-to-be 4 and 2. They go to bed later than they should, but the can have “late” mornings. They sleep; that’s what counts.

As for genre, I’m all over the board.

I have two ideas for children’s (0-3 range). One is writtten in my head, but I haven’t put it on paper yet. The other has a title with no idea behind it.

Second, I want to write a personal development/business book for teens. I’ve got an idea and loose outline. I’m waiting on that one until I’m established with my audience.

My secret passion is erotica, which is primarily why I’m here. That probably won’t go past this forum due to the perceived mismatch with my family&kid-based business.

What do you teach at the University level?