1. kixi08

kixi08 New Member

Hello. I'm New

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kixi08, Feb 3, 2010.

I'm Kixi. I love writing...or attempting to write. I have a tendency to write down an idea try and make it work and then get bored and drop it.

So i am trying to find an idea that will push me to finishing my first novel.

I hope that this site will help me get there.

:D

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Kixi, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

Posting your own writing for people to comment on should not be among the very first things you do here. It is worth taking the time to see what other people have done to improve their writing, and see if some of it applies to your writing as well. That is part of why we require members to review other members' work before posting their own for review. On the other hand, there are no restrictions, other than content and copyright rules, on showcasing your work in your member blog.

Also, be aware that posting a piece of writing on any public site, including this one, will greatly diminish your chances of selling it for publication. Removing the writing later does not alter that fact - once posted, it is irreversibly considered published. So do not post anything more than a small excerpt of any piece you are planning to submit for publication.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize constructive critique as a vital writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). Also, please use the same thread for all revisions and additional excerpts from the same piece of writing. See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

And while you're looking around, don't forget to check out our Weekly Short Story Contest and Weekly Poetry Contest. They actually run more than one week apiece, but any member may enter, and all members are urged to vote for their favorites.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

3. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Welcome! :D

4. kixi08

kixi08 New Member

Thank you.

5. Norm

Norm New Member

Hello. What do you like to write about?

6. kixi08

kixi08 New Member

i dont have one set style. I kind of bounce all over the place. I'm fairly new to this whole writing thing. Although i've been thinking of ideas randomly for years. I finally decided that maybe i should sit down and write something. =)

7. Norm

Norm New Member

That's cool. You're pretty much in the same situation as me. Want to have a writing race? ;)

8. kixi08

kixi08 New Member

I could pretty much guarantee you'd win. Lol. I am really trying to get out of my habit of not finishing anything. I dont know if its that i get bored with the idea, or stuck, or i just find another idea i like a little more. Probably a combo off all 3. My goal is to finish my first novel...at least the first draft by the end of this year. Hopefully with this site i can do that.

What about you? What do you like to write about?

9. Norm

Norm New Member

I like to write about fantasy, philosophy, the human mind, and METAL! haha.

But like I said, I'm in the same situation as you because I also joined this site thinking it'd help me finish my first novel.

10. kixi08

kixi08 New Member

Well i guess we'll just have to work hard and use this site to our advantage. =)

11. manquaman

manquaman New Member

Congratulations, you have identified one of the most important aspects of writing - your process.

Every writer has a different process. Half the battle of writing, in my opinion, is being able to hone your process for the sole purpose of getting work completed.

I used to spend way too much time trying to write the perfect sentence and paragraph. It got so tiring that I often could not finish any idea that I had. I used to wonder if I would ever finish anything. That was when I realized (through listening to what established writers were saying in interviews) that I was going to have to produce a lot of garbage before my skills would start to improve. It was a painful realization for me because it meant that some of my best ideas would be wasted on bad writing. But as a writer I have to believe that the well of my ideas is limitless. There may also be a time when I am more accomplished and I can go back to some of my ideas and give it another try completely.

Believe me, if you have not finished something substantial, the first time you look at a completed project (mine was a screenplay) you will feel a sense of empowerment that you will want to feel again. Your process will grow. You will learn what enables you to write and be productive. Only you can decide what works for you. It isn't an easy thing to do.

In the beginning, if I couldn't produce new writing for a piece, I would do research for it, edit, or anything I could think of that kept me in the chair working toward the goal of finishing. It helped me to finish two screenplays and a first novel. My skills are not there yet - I know that because my first novel did not get much attention and no movie was ever made with "Written by (me)" attached to it, but my process is nearly complete because I am much more productive and prolific than I once was.

Of course, none of this may speak to you. You are your own writer and will figure it out someday for yourself.

Good luck

12. kixi08

kixi08 New Member

Yeah, i'm right at that spot were i have to perfect my paragraphs. I am really insecure about my work, but i am trying get over that and take what people say as just wanting to help my work improve...unless they say that it completely sucks. =(

Thank you for your advice, now i know i'm not the only one in my position.