1. jedellion

jedellion Member

Jedellion

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jedellion, Jan 17, 2013.

The forest is eerily quiet, even the birds have ceased their constant chatter. Mist hangs between the thick trunks reducing visibility to a few yards. You pause on the track, looking around uncertainly. far off, a solitary tawny owl screeches it's call but the sound is muted in the damp air losing its insistence. You tilt your head. There is a sound, far off, but getting louder; hoof beats falling on damp earth and fallen leaves. The sound is approaching. you glance ahead debating whether to leave the path for it is not unknown for travellers to be waylaid by bandits and... other things on these lonely pathways.

Suddenly the mist parts before a large back horse. The rider pulls on the reins and the horse comes to an abrupt halt, it's nostrils flaring, puffing small clouds of vapour into the chill evening air. You stand uncertainly as the rider, their face obscured by a dull metal helm, regards you for a moment. They dismount and you take a step backwards. You would judge it to be a man by the broad build. He reaches up and slowly draws off his helmet to reveal a shock of thick black hair that hangs mane like around a solid face with golden brown eyes. The face is open, and their are only feint hints of lines around the eyes and the corners of the mouth indicating a life spent with much laughter in it.

Put at ease you offer a cautious smile that is returned with interest.

"Greetings"

Good morning/afternoon/evening

Jed here. I am a UK chap. I have been writing for many years. If any of you have frequented WritersDock you might recognise the name. I have been away from online writing groups for a couple of years as I have been pursuing various other hobbies, but I have always been writing. I have recently decided to try and get back into more regular writing with a view to working on new projects, polishing up a few works I have completed and generally aiming to start to send things out there to see if I can actually get anything published.

I am a married father of two. I am from Hyde nr Manchester in the UK. (the town where Doctor Death alal Harold Shipman, committed his atrocities)

I am a college lecturer in computing, and I enjoy creating art, archery (although I have had to give this up recently due to some nerve damage in my right hand), model making and painting minaitures. I love reading (duh!) and love almost all forms of music. I enjoy sci-fi, fantasy, thriller and crime books and will dable in most other genres. I also enjoy the classics.

I look forwards to getting to know some of you, reviewing, helping if I can and getting your help in return.

regards

Jed.

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Welcome to Writing Forums, jedellion!

I hope you find what you're looking for here, whatever your interests in writing.

This forum aims to provide the best workshopping resources on the internet, and to that end we have a few rules which you should familiarise yourself with before you get stuck in. The main section of the site is the Writing Workshop, where members can post their writing in order to receive critique of their work.

However, before we allow members to post their work, they must have met some basic requirments. Firstly, you must have been a member for fourteen days, and have made twenty posts on the forum overall (please note, posts in Word Games do not count towards this). This is so that members, when they post their work, have familiarised themselves with the forums and contributed to them (as well as hopefully learned something for themselves). Secondly, members must provide two constructive reviews of other people's work for each piece of their own that they wish to post. This is because we believe that the focus of workshopping should be equally upon giving reviews as receiving them, as they allow a writer to practice and improve their editing skills, which they can then apply to their own writing.

Beyond the Writing Workshop, you will find that we have extensive forums for discussion of aspects of writing, as well as a community area for general discussion. We also run periodic short story and poetry contests, which are good for challenging yourself and expanding your skills.

If you have any questions or problems, then the moderators (myself, Cogito, Lemex and Dante Dases) should be your first port of call. Any technical problems with the site itself should be directed to Daniel, the site administrator and owner. I would recommend you have a look over the rules so that you know what to expect, and what is expected. But aside from that, I hope you enjoy your time here.

Banzai

3. jedellion

jedellion Member

Already done one critique in fantasy. Rules all read. I have been posting all over. Profile completed. Shame about not posting for two weeks as I was in the middle of writing a story for the Sunday deadline.
    Drat.

Hang on.. The rules say 14 days before creating threads, but if I post in an existing thread. Such as the weekly short story comp (well two weekly at the mo) does that count?

I really would like to complete and post my story in the competition. Waiting two weeks to actually start writing anything seems harsh. I will have half a dozen critiques and loads of posts by Sunday.

4. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

Hi and welcome to the forums.

5. empower

empower New Member

Sounds like you have a tale in the making. Small typo "their are" should be there are. And I see more form than substance. My belief is, get a good story going and then make it sound nice.