1. Published on Amazon? If you have a book, e-book, or audiobook available on Amazon.com, we'll promote it on WritingForums.org for free. Simply add your book to our Member Publications section. Add your book here or read the full announcement.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  1. ttb112

ttb112 New Member

High school in the early 90's

Discussion in 'Research' started by ttb112, Mar 21, 2017 at 12:24 AM.

Hey I’m currently working on a novel about boys growing up in the early part of the 90’s (book takes place August 1990 and goes til June 1994). They’re in high school during this period, so I’m looking to talk with anyone who was in high school around this time about political events, general high school life, fun things you did with friends, etc. I’m looking specifically to mine the “experience” of the 90’s—something you wouldn’t get from a Wikipedia article or Buzzfeed listacle. Specific sensations and moods and personal details you remember.

I’m looking for anyone who graduated Class of 1994, but any time around there will work too. If you’re older/younger than that but recall something specific about high school youth around that time frame, feel free to post as well.

I’d like to talk with people one on one so it could be a more private discussion, so reply here or DM me if you’re interested.

Thanks!

2. OurJud

OurJud Contributing Member Contributor

I'm guessing, from your use of words like 'high school' and 'graduated', you're referring to American school life, but it may be worth making this clear as school life is going to be quite different depending on the country.

Here in the UK 'high school' would be 'seniors', and we didn't 'graduate', we... erm, 'left'.

BayView likes this.
  3. JE Loddon

JE Loddon Active Member

I left Secondary School in 1994, but in the UK, so might not have much to offer you if you're looking at the US.

4. ttb112

ttb112 New Member

Yes, I meant to say high school in the US, thanks for the catch!

5. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributing Member

Well, not high school, but I graduated from college in 1994 so maybe that's close enough?

Kurt Cobain's suicide in 1994 was the first celebrity death that really affected me. I remember crying in my dorm room and feeling like the world didn't make sense anymore. Courtney Love's reading of his suicide note at a candlelight vigil is still such a vivid memory of mine, I'll never forget it.

Woodstock '94 - I was so sad I couldn't go! Years later I am like wow that was super gross why would I have wanted to be there but at the time I really did!

I don't think it's stood the test of time for me as an adult, but I remember being super impressed with the movie Forrest Gump. I think I saw it in the theater at least 3 or
    times.

Watching the OJ Simpson chase on TV and wondering WTF was happening. I mostly knew him from the Naked Gun movies and was totally baffled.

6. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin Contributing Member

That's the first thing that jumped into my mind. I graduated high school in 1997 so I would have been about 16 or so when that happened. Kurt Cobain too. I played in a band that did a few Nirvana covers so that was definitely a WTF moment. Mainly I remember not having the internet, so if you wanted to learn something you had to go to the library or ask a smart person. And I had a car phone! A for real car phone back when nobody had cell phones yet. A doctor owned my car before I bought it (a $2000 Toyota Corolla--go figure), so that was the shit. And weed was still illegal so friends of mine were getting arrested all the time for that.