Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larry123

Larry123 New Member

Historical characters

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Larry123, Jun 20, 2022.

I have questions about using historical characters in my screenplay.

1. Do I have to get permission from someone/organization if my screenplay involving historical characters such has the first president of United States or even the Queen of England?

2. Would it be okay if the character I came up is based on real personnel such as a police officer involved in a real criminal investigation but I renamed the character? Can that police officer file a law suit?

2. Thundair

Thundair Contributor Contributor

Change the names and add this...

All rights reserved, including the right of reproduction in whole or in part in any form.

This book is a work of fiction. Any references to historical events, real people, or real places are used fictitiously. Other names, characters, places, and events are products of the author’s imagination, and any resemblance to actual events or places or persons, living or dead, is entirely coincidental.

Larry123 likes this.
  3. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

This thread will probably be locked soon as you seem to be asking for legal advice which most on this forum aren't qualified to give, even if the advice is accurate.

Only thing I want to say is, 'it's not that simple' depending on the details in the story and whether the character is based on a living person or a person with an active estate.

Read the case about Kimerli Pring where she won a libel case but lost on appeal, 2-1. So one judge agreed with her claim.

There are ways to do what you want and minimize risk, but it's best to consult with someone who specializes in this type of law.

I wouldn't worry about writing about Henry VIII though.

Larry123 likes this.
  4. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

This doesn't do anything for the author.

5. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

What he said

In general we don't allow people to request specific legal advice because of the potential liability issues if you are badly advised...if you want definitive legal advice see a lawyer (both Alli and SOA have legal advice services for their members)

:closed:

MartinM likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.