1. Kwills79

Kwills79 Member

Historical Fiction Advice

Discussion in 'Children's & Young Adult' started by Kwills79, Nov 7, 2017.

I'm working on a picture book detailing the Battle of the Sexes between Billie Jean King and Bobby Riggs. Because it's a picture book, I wanted to write it from the POV of Billie Jean as a child--as if it happened while she was a child. The main elements of the book are factual (things that influenced her to go into tennis, her athletic abilities, how she saved her own money for her first racket, the match between her and Bobby), but I have a critique partner who advised that it all be factual (as in write it the way it actually happened) or else you are essentially lying to children (in children's eyes). She recommended writing about a fictional character who uses Billie Jean as a role model when challenged to her own personal battle of the sexes. This is a good idea, but not where I wanted the book to go. Thoughts? I'm new to this sub-genre, but feel that creative license has been taken in this area before...I would love to hear other's opinions on it. Thank you!

2. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I think you are on very VERY dodgy ground here, especially as you are writing historical 'fiction?' Billie Jean King is still alive and only 73 years old. Unless you have her permission to do this, I wouldn't. You really shouldn't be taking creative license with somebody's actual life while they are still alive. Seriously. Don't. Even if you base your story on Billie Jean King and change names, etc, you really need to be careful that nobody is going to make the connection too strongly with Billie Jean King.

It's a very good idea for a story, by the way. But I'd drop your original idea and see if you can get the principle across using totally fictional characters. Either that, or contact her, tell her what you're doing, and see what she thinks. If she gives you the go-ahead, then more power to your arm. She might even agree to help you.

Shenanigator and Stormburn like this.
  3. Kwills79

Kwills79 Member

Ok, thank you, that is good advice. It definitely wasn't my intention to fictionalize her life per say, more to make her amazing story as empowering to little girls as possible. My aim was to make sure that everyone made the connection since she is such a pioneer in women's empowerment and equality in sports and deserves as much recognition as possible. But I think you're right and I will work on either getting in touch with her, or making the characters more 'generic'. Thank you.

jannert likes this.
  4. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Here's another thought. If you DID get her cooperation, and could actually market the story as non-fiction—meaning NO makey-uppy facts at all—I think you'd have no problem finding a publisher for it. And the impact of a true story is potentially greater than a piece of fiction. If a parent could tell their child that this person is real, and this really happened, then imagine the effect this will have on the child.

5. Kwills79

Kwills79 Member

Thank you jannert! I agree, I definitely think her story should be told in a way that kids can relate to, since she has done so much for women's rights. Little girls needs all the hope they can get these days : /