1. Daemon Wolf

Daemon Wolf Senior Member

Who inspired you to become a writer?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Daemon Wolf, Jul 27, 2015.

I was just curious as to who inspired you to become a writer and who inspires you as a writer whether said person is real or fiction.

I have been a writer for a long time but the person who truly inspired me to start actually focusing on a book would have to be Richard Castle [Fictitious character from the show Castle who is a famous writer].
    [​IMG]

He inspired me because he made writing seem so much fun. And he reminded me that life isn't about just about obligations but it's about having fun with your life and doing what you love.

So who inspired you?

2. Archnenna

Archnenna Active Member

I always liked to write stories as a little kid, then after discovering the wonderful world of books thanks to R.L. Stine's Dear Diary, I'm Dead which I picked up at 13, I decided that I wanted to write seriously. I wrote some fanfics, and in 2011 I started writing my first original book.

Daemon Wolf likes this.
  3. Masked Mole

Masked Mole Senior Member

Mainly myself, but I've always loved storytelling.
    I'm told that when I was a small child (before I was able to read), I would grab books and "read" them. In fact, I was creating my own story as I went along. I've just always had that type of mind, I guess.

4. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

When I was in grade 3 a writer ( of children's stories ) came and read her book ( it was about a cat. ) I didn't care much for the story but the woman oozed confidence and that I found attractive. The same year in school our teacher had us make books and laminated the covers and we put them in the school library. I wanted to be a writer ever since then. However, I didn't do much writing until I was about 12.

Who inspires me now? I don't know, just reading other peoples works I guess. It's like looking at people creating art on YouTube it makes me dig out my art supplies - creating is contagious.

ToDandy and Daemon Wolf like this.
  5. ToDandy

ToDandy Senior Member

I first got the idea of becoming a writer at a very young age. It was back in my elementary school days when I was reading Mary Pope Osborne's Magic Tree House series. The episodic sandbox-style adventures within each novel sparked my imagination and really made me want to create adventures of my own. It also attracted me to fantasy at a very early age.

Daemon Wolf and Masked Mole like this.
  6. Masked Mole

Magic Tree House was my brother's jam back in the day.

ToDandy and Daemon Wolf like this.
  7. Christine Ralston

Christine Ralston Active Member

I have wanted to write since I learned how to read, so I have to say that I inspired myself. :)

Daemon Wolf likes this.
  8. Sack-a-Doo!

Sack-a-Doo! Contributor Contributor

My mother inspired me. She always wanted to be a writer; sadly, she never got anywhere with it. But at the age of four, when I saw her sitting down at her typewriter, I wanted to write, too. So I did.

SolZephyr and ToDandy like this.
  9. Daemon Wolf

Nice, my parent's view is: Do something realistic with your life and go do something boring that you won't love.

IcyStar and Sack-a-Doo! like this.
  10. SwampDog

SwampDog Senior Member

Spending a long time at sea, I grew up with authors such as Alistair MacLean and Louis Lamour. But MacLean effectively caused me to put pen to paper.

Daemon Wolf likes this.
  11. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

No one in particular. Just fiction in general.

12. General Daedalus

General Daedalus Banned

Hank Moody. Has to be.

13. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I blame The Legend of Zelda for planting in my head the idea that I could actually create fictional realms and characters of my very own. I blame Harry Potter for planting in my head that I could channel it all through a book.

Cave Troll and stormjinx like this.
  14. Lyrical

Lyrical Frumious Bandersnatch

I was a storyteller as a child and from the moment I learned to write letters I began to write stories. But the first time I actually decided to write a book was when I was 11. My cousin, a year older than I was, started to write a book and I thought it was a fabulous idea. I started my own, and it unlocked this raging writing addict within me that I've never been able to put away since. (My cousin, it turns out, didn't love it and stopped after a couple chapters of her book. Turns out she's a born chef, not so much a writer.)

Also, L.M. Montgomery's Emily series profoundly resonated with me and solidified the idea that I wanted to be an author someday.

15. Sack-a-Doo!

Sack-a-Doo! Contributor Contributor

Yeah, that was my father's attitude when I said I wanted to be an actor... and that was after a lot of soul-searching and coming to the realization that acting was something I was actually good at.

And my mother wasn't really much better. I was inspired to write because she did, but she wasn't supportive, never gave me encouragement or good reviews.

I guess I phrased that wrong in my original quote.

Daemon Wolf likes this.
  16. Daemon Wolf

Originally I wanted to Direct movies whether small or big but after a while I realized I just love telling stories and that I would be a lot better at writing than directing. As for my parents my dad pretty much told me to just go out and get a job where I said I wanted to write as a job. And whilst my mother was "supportive" she always saw my writing and directing as a hobby.

Sack-a-Doo! likes this.
  17. PiP

PiP Contributor Contributor

The need to write a story that had been floating around in my head for years inspired me to write. I then joined a couple of writing forums to feed that inspiration. Fellow members were my inspiration

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
    tonguetied likes this.
  18. General Daedalus

General Daedalus Banned

This is pretty much the same with me, as far as the forums go- I check in here as often as possible to try to stay motivated. Some days I go without writing at all and then I come here and manage to get excited enough to write a couple of thousand words that day. It definitely helps out a lot.

Viridian and PiP like this.
  19. PiP

the trouble is my story is only half written. I'm convinced I'm the worlds worst procrastinator and talk more than I write! I should be working now and here I am yapping. :D instead of writing.

IcyStar likes this.
  20. General Daedalus

General Daedalus Banned

Tell me about it! I find myself here while I take breaks from writing hoping to find some inspiration but I know I'm just wasting time :p Really, I just can't seem to understand that in order to finish my novel, I need to write. I've got my novel open right now, and I've only wrote around 3000 words today :(

21. daemon

daemon Contributor Contributor

The fanfiction community of a TV series. My best friend introduced me to it and I was amazed by some of the work. He also sought my help in editing his fanfics and he kept encouraging me to write my own fanfics about the ideas I was describing to him. I never actually wrote my own fanfiction (could never find the motivation), but that whole experience is what got me to start writing the non-fanfiction I am writing today.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  22. PiP

Pleased to meet you!

To return to the OP's question I'm now trying to think if any writers inspired me. Some stories have remained with me for years so does that count? I enjoyed reading some of George Orwell's books -they had a profound effect on me, as did 50 Shades of Grey but for other reasons. :(

General Daedalus and Masked Mole like this.
  23. Masked Mole

Hey! I haven't seen you in ages on here! Good to have you back.

PiP likes this.
  24. Aaron DC

Aaron DC Contributor Contributor

I think Russell Brand did.

25. Viridian

Viridian Member Supporter

Any author who doesn't have a degree but decided to give it a go just because they had always wanted to and became successful. Very inspiring. Also my husband for having endless confidence in me.

Daemon Wolf likes this.