1. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Self-employed v. Employer

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Steerpike, Jul 29, 2011.

I've been self-employed as a patent, trademark and copyright attorney and freelance writer for some time now. Turns out, a law firm wants to bring me aboard. I've worked for law firms in the past (mostly big ones with like 1000 attorneys) and I didn't like it. I like being self-employed - last week I was working at the beach for example.

On the other hand, self-employment income fluctuates. My clients get busy, then things die down. And I don't have health benefits apart from what I buy for myself. Law firm offers a salary making more than I make now, and benefits. But they also offer set hours, a certain amount of adapting to their style and culture, etc.

So now I'm of two minds about the whole thing. Anyone else done the transition from self-employment back into the world of big business? Is it a hard one to make after you've had the freedom of working for yourself?

The stability is attractive. And there are some other lures. But I don't know...a dilemma. In this economy, of course, I'm glad to even have the dilemma with so many people out of work. But still, I'm going to need to make a decision before long in all likelihood.

2. art

art Contributor Contributor

I'm self-employed. Wouldn't have it any other way. (Save unemployed with a rich partner.;))

The employed position might not last forever. What then? Your clients will have likely gone elsewhere.

Your concern about health care insurance queers the pitch a bit but you will be making some pretty big sacrifices in respect of your freedom.

An old friend arrives, unannounced, in town... can you go see them that afternoon? Nope.
    You are having one of those days..can you just bugger off? Nope.
    A family crisis..can you attend? Probably, but not without a whole lot of rigmarole.

The only strong argument to the contrary: sometimes you can feel a little isolated self-employed. Might be nice to have a whole office to interact with. (Might be a horror show, of course.)

3. Steerpike

All good points, Art. Not going to be an easy decision. My naturally tendency is to remain self-employed :)

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i've had jobs and i've freelanced, run my own writing consultant business... and nothing on this earth could have gotten me to go back to work in an office or whatever for someone else or a company, after having the freedom to do what i wanted when i wanted and work all day in my nightgown if i felt like it!

but if you have to pay the rent and put food on the table for anyone other than yourself [spouse and/or kids] and what you're making on your own doesn't cut it, then i'd say you don't have any choice but to take the offer...

5. Steerpike

Thanks, mammamaia. Yes, I do have people other than myself to consider, which is the only reason I'm even considering it (particularly the health care, though increased pay is always nice).

If it were only me, I think I'd rather live in a tree and be self-employed than go back to the office :)