1. pensivefabulist

pensivefabulist New Member

Need fun scenes for medieval detective story

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by pensivefabulist, Aug 4, 2015.

Okay so, premise:

A medieval village is going to burn a girl for witchcraft. A scholar is trying to stop them by proving that magic doesn't exist. Until... he finds out the girl really is a witch- and worse still, he discovers that he's a warlock.

But then it turns out that even though the girl is a witch, she couldn't have been the killer. So he sets out to use his new powers to figure out how magic works and solve the mystery of the town, all while not being found out by the townsfolk and Inquisitor.

The problem I'm having is that I can't seem to come up with a single scene that really jumps off the page. Everything I try to write feels really drawn out and weak for some reason. Does anybody have any ideas for scenes or sequences which might feel taught and exciting?

Here are some other thoughts I had, in case they help...
    - He discovers his childhood friend has become a high-ranking church official, who would probably burn him too if he found out
    - The "Watson" is a lady knight who is the brawn to his brain
    - A montage of some kind where he analyzes a spell
    - The accused witch invokes trial by combat to stall while they find a final bit of evidence

Any and all thoughts, suggestions or ideas would be fantastic!

2. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

Does the actual killer know that there is a warlock trying to expose him?