1. DespairAcademy

DespairAcademy Member

Hello everyone :)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by DespairAcademy, Aug 8, 2016.

I just found this section of the forum exists and I wanted to say hi. I am Despair Academy (name is from the novel I am working on). I just wanted to say hi and that I will be posting a bit of my novel for feedback on the workshop soon. Thanks for reading this and I can't wait to become apart of the community :)

2. I.A. By the Barn

I.A. By the Barn A very lost time traveller Contributor

Hello!
    What genre is your novel? The title sounds really interesting. me wanna read it!
    See you around.

3. DespairAcademy

DespairAcademy Member

Thanks :) My novel is sort of a Science Fiction novel although the science only plays a small part in the story. Also it's full title is "Welcome to Despair Academy" but i'm thinking of shorting it to just "Despair Academy" which one do you think is better?

4. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Hi, @DespairAcademy, and welcome to the forum! Please read our New Member Quick Start if you haven't already - it'll get you going around here. Looking forward to seeing some of your work when you fulfill the requirements. Participate, and have fun! :)

5. DespairAcademy

DespairAcademy Member

Thanks :) Just a quick question if I may, I was reading the rules and it says I need to do two critiques before I can post in the writing workshop. So what would you consider a critique and how would you know if I actually did it or not? I have given some people some feedback already but I wouldn't really call it a critique.

6. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Check out, under Applied Writing, the section called The Art of Critique. You'll find some pretty extensive discussion of the subject there. Also, go to the Workshop and see how other members have critiqued work. You can start by using those critiques as models. Good luck!

7. Eaveah Tail

Eaveah Tail New Member

Despair Academy! Now I'm intrigued to read your work! Welcome!

8. Freethesea

Freethesea Member

Despair Academy! Hi and welcome! I think it's okay after you've been a member for an entire week. I too am looking forward to reading some of your work!

9. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

Hello! Welcome to the madhouse!:D
    Sorry I didn't come earlier. I've been less active recently.
    Seeing as you've already got our handy guide I'll just give you this lovely uniform, free! Such quality products don't come cheap, let me tell you. :p
    Straightjacket for WritingForums.jpg
    Can you see how beautifully it restrains the patient artist? Wouldn't want you to hurt yourself. And I'm told it's very comfy.
    Have a beautiful day!:blowkiss::blowkiss: Oscar out!:brb:

doggiedude and Eaveah Tail like this.
  10. DespairAcademy

DespairAcademy Member

Oh yes once you see my particular writing style (mainly how I handle character deaths) you will definitely be forcing that on me.

I.A. By the Barn and Oscar Leigh like this.
  11. doggiedude

doggiedude Contributor Contributor

Welcome ... Poke around the place (Just don't look in that bottom left drawer.) Jump into the conversations and open your mind to learning new things. :)

The critiques can be as extensive as you like. Even if you read a piece & can't think of anything to say about it, a simple "like" or mentioning a line that you enjoyed can boost someone's day. (Although, that probably wouldn't count as a critique.)
    If other people see you participating in the threads focused on critiquing they are more apt to return the favor when it comes time for you to post your material.

Above all, have some fun with us.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
    Oscar Leigh likes this.
  12. platerawriter

platerawriter Banned

Hello and welcome! I look forward to seeing your contributions! Hope you enjoy yourself here. :)

Oscar Leigh likes this.