1. Scrabble

Scrabble New Member

Aspiring writer currently suffering from writers block

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Scrabble, Jun 6, 2016.

Hello everyone,

I'm a Swedish guy who's aspiring to be a writer, like the title says. I've been writing all my life, everything from short stories to fantasy novels and half-assed biography. I've been wanting to write a book since childhood but never gotten around to focusing on one story. Since about 5 years back I've been suffering from writers block. No matter how hard I try I can't seem to get anything down on paper.

My goals at the moment is (without mentioning the writers block) to write two stories. One being a biography on video game addiction that I've suffered from for many years. The second being a lovestory. I've decided to focus on the biography first as it's close to my heart and something I really feel I can make a difference. Problem is, I don't know where to start. I've tried to write a synopsis, write down "characters" (the characters being actual people I've met in my life) and also trying to plan out every chapter. Just haven't gotten to start it yet.

The main reason I signed up on this site is because I'm still on a thread of hope. This in combination with my love for writing, dreams of not having to get up early in bed every morning just to do my 9 - 5 work hours is what keeps me going. I hope to get inspired by all you people in this forum and that you'll help me and I'll be able to help you in turn so I can grow as a writer and finally find my way back into the magic a the written word can create.

Regards//
    Scrabble

jannert likes this.
  2. zoupskim

zoupskim Contributor Contributor

Welcome to the forum! I'm look forward to reading all your posts and whatnot

I personally cure writer's block by doing writing exercises or working one of fifteen short stories I have going. Just remember your goals, and your writer's block can be cured by writing! I think there's a sticky post for writer's block, so check that out too.

Cave Troll likes this.
  3. Brindy

Brindy Senior Member

Hi, hope you find lots of inspiration here. Why don't you imagine explaining something to a friend over a drink, and write down how the conversation would go, reaction from your friend etc. It may be a way to start writing bits that could start to link together. Maybe start with why you feel you want to write about your video game addiction. Is it to warn others? Maybe how it has affected you, things you have missed through it. That may be a start? Good luck with getting started.

Wow, just read this back - too any uses of start - sorry.

4. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Dedication is key, also preserve no matter what.

Welcome to the fun house. Try the writing prompts thread or just surf around until something sparks your interest.
    You could always just write collections of short stories spanning all the genres. (well its a thought to consider anywho) :p

Good luck and have fun, C: -ya around.
    TakeThis.jpg Its a pocket size writers block eradication device. :supergrin:

5. Sack-a-Doo!

Sack-a-Doo! Contributor Contributor

I had writer's block (I'm assuming that's what we're talking about) for almost ten years. The problem, as it turned out, was that I was trying to write stuff that simply wasn't my cup of tea. I thought it was. I wanted it to be, but it wasn't.

Once I realized that and let myself look for (and find) what it was I really wanted to write, I've had floods of ideas and—once I get past that "I don't wanna write today" thing in the morning—I get a lot of writing done.

Could this be the problem? I know you said the video game addiction thing is close to your heart, but is it? Really, is it? Or have you just convinced yourself that it should be?

6. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Hej! :) Welcome to WF!

Video game addiction doesn't sound like a lot of fun. :( I'm sure it'll provide interesting material for an autobiography/non-fiction, though. Maybe it'd help you get started if you read similar books for inspiration? One of my favorite autobiographies is A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers. I also like your fellow Swede's, Jonas Gardell's, autobiographical novels like En komikers uppväxt and its sequels.

Here's our New Member Quick Start to get you started. See you on the boards!

-Kat

7. Scrabble

Scrabble New Member

Hey everyone,

Yikes, so many helpful comments. I'm overwhelmed by the welcome-committee. :)

I've planned to start writing again this day, right now. Just to get my thoughts on paper.

This was really helpful and I'll definitely try to just talk more and figure out what I want to achieve. Earlier I've only told myself "this is what I want to write it" without second guessing why I wan't to do it. Now that I think about it It might have been an emotional part of my life but not necessarily something that I need to write about. A part of me have been thinking that video-game addiction is still fairly new thereof unfamiliar on the market. I thought that it could help me "sell" my book when its eventually done. Maybe I've been thinking too much of being an author as a job and not a calling. (See what I did here? Using your method already ;-) )

"Cure by writing". Ain't that the truth. I feel so stupid for not getting to it sooner. I'll start today, promise. When I were younger I used to write about all sorts of stuff. Like what people looked like while I were sipping on my coffee at the local cafe. Things like that makes writing so easy. Maybe I'll write about how life on balcony is, as of right now I heard my neighbor on the balcony next to me make some rather interesting sounds (should get his stomach checked I guess). :)

Thanks to all of you I think that I'm ready to write again. And this time, about anything.

Regards
    Scrabble

[​IMG]

8. Scrabble

Scrabble New Member

That kitten sure did help. Just read above and you'll see that I'm already on my way to a cure!

This right here, GOLDEN! :)

Just like you're saying, maybe this just isn't for me? I've been thinking about this a lot since I read your post. Just haven't gotten around to answer it yet, guess I needed some time to think. I'm already on my way to writing again, and you know how? I just let go (not like Frozen, brrr). I don't think that I should be writing about my addiction, at least not in the biography sense. I do feel (now that I think about it) that there's been too much planning. I've also had so much anxiety when I couldn't remember the "exact" details. It feels so "fake" to write about my life and then "make up" stuff because I can't remember it all. I think that this might actually be the heart of my writer´s block. Don't know how to thank you for making me realize this.

I've had to separate my posts because forum claimed I was a spammer when I tried to post one very big post. :(

The "Thank you" above goes for you guys too of course! :D
    [/QUOTE]

9. Scrabble

Scrabble New Member

Thank you for your comment. Had to delete my reply as forum claimed it was spam. Unfortunate. Anyhow, I've been readin a lot of the subject, books, papers etc. But as stated in my recent posts I think I've come to realize that maybe I just shouldn't write about the subject. From now on I'm just gonna try to write bits and pieces of it in a diary. That way I won't feel obligated to write anything at any given time which I think might help me get rid of my writers block. :)

10. Sack-a-Doo!

Sack-a-Doo! Contributor Contributor

No, actually, I'm not saying that.

When I was in college doing post-grad work, my play writing prof said we should never tackle a biographical story until at least ten years had passed. Apparently, that allows us to comes to terms with all the affects those events have had on our lives.

I only once tried to write about some big event in my life shortly after it happened and the whole thing came out maudlin and yucky. Never tried it again. In fact, I find that any biographical event that creeps into one of my stories, even after a few decades, I still struggle to keep an arms-length perspective on it so I don't get caught up in the leftover emotion associated with it.

So, if you wanna walk away from this discussion with some advice, it would be this: write about something else, anything else. But do write. :)

Scrabble likes this.
  11. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

If getting started is your problem, I would suggest ...getting started. That sounds fatuous, I know, but it's the only way to get off the ground.

However, I would NOT worry about 'how' to get started. Just get a scene into your head and write it. Don't worry about where it will fit into your story overall, etc. Just write what you see in your head at that moment. A couple of characters, a setting, a confrontation, a love scene, anything you want. Once you get that scene completed, you'll want to figure out where these people came from and what they're going to do next. And your block will be broken and you'll be eager to keep going.

The very first chapter I ever wrote actually occurs in the middle of my novel—but it sure got me going.

If you start fretting about 'how best to write a stellar first chapter,' and that kind of thing, you're going to paralyze yourself. Just free yourself. You can write ANYTHING YOU WANT. Nobody is looking over your shoulder or judging you. It's a risk-free pasttime at this stage.

Do yourself a favour. Don't tell anybody else that you're writing (except us on the forum!) at all. The last thing you want is people saying 'how's it going, when will you be published, can I see what you've written,' and all that other stuff non-writers do to writers. This is your time and your project and nobody needs to know till YOU feel it's finished, and ready to be shown around.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
    KaTrian likes this.
  12. Scrabble

Scrabble New Member

Thanks, I think I'll do just that. Not telling people that I finally got going again. Probably easier to focus on what I want to write and a fun surprise to those who do not know it yet. :)

jannert likes this.