1. horsinaround930

horsinaround930 New Member

Hello...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by horsinaround930, May 26, 2013.

Greetings,

I have become a member to this community in hopes of finding some assistance in achieving a goal I set in place a few years ago. I'll begin with who I am, then inform you of my goal and my reasons for setting this goal. My name is Joel, I am twenty four years old, and I am a mechanic in the US Navy. I call North Carolina home, though I am stationed in Virginia. I have never written anything more than a few essays, and I doubt I have the skill to write a best selling novel in this decade, or the next. I do know that my teachers have always liked my work but I am not sure how a few essays will translate in to writing a book. Regardless of my knowledge of writing, I do feel that have stories to tell, and I will tell them. While I could care less as to how well these writings turn out, I still want to write them. This is why I had set a goal of writing a book in this lifetime. I will deploy soon and will be out to sea until about this time next year. This gives me plenty of time to write and hopefully have something that resembles a book within that time frame.

-Joel

2. PyrZern

PyrZern Member

Welcome aboard Joel.
    We have the Writing Workshop area so we could discuss about and give critique to other's writing. You might want to do a few of that as well because it will help with your own writing so much. Then when you put something up, we will return the favor. :)

What kind of writing interests you ?

3. horsinaround930

I will look into that, I wouldn't have noticed it had you not mentioned it. I'm not sure exactly, I like mystery, crime, fiction. I don't like sci-fi, fantasy. I guess I liek stories that could actually happen. For example, I like a horror that is scary due to a crazy person doing something crazy, but I wouldn't like a horror that consists of a make believe monster.

4. horsinaround930

I would also like to say this, I want to share my work to be critiqued but when I am at sea I only have a gov computer and I can't transfer files to it from my personal computer. Also the internet sucks sometimes, but even when it doesn't, I can only access .gov, .org, .mil, .edu websites so if I ask a question that most would search for elsewhere, I'm not being lazy, I'm just using the resources I have available. Thanks in advance for your help and patience.

5. blackstar21595

blackstar21595 New Member

Welcome, just so you know before you can post anything in the writer's workshop. You need to be a member for 2 weeks, made at least 2 constructive critiques on other people's work, and have at least 20 posts. So while you're here, read other people's works that have been posted, and see what you can learn via example.

6. horsinaround930

I'll keep that in mind as my work takes shape, that way I'll be ready to post when my work is ready to be posted. Thanks for the advice.

7. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

Hi and welcome!