1. Madman

Madman Life is Sacred Contributor

Hold each other accountable.

Discussion in 'Collaboration' started by Madman, Jan 9, 2023.

I am desperate. I've not been writing as much as I want recently, so I am trying this instead.

The idea:
    -We share our writing goals in this thread. (Such as, I want to write chapter 3 of my novel in X time, I want to write a short story in X time, I want to write part 5 of a short story in X time, etc.) (Word goals are okay as well as other writing goals.)
    -If you succeed, you get recognition somehow, maybe a nice comment. (Internet cookies.)
    -If you fail you get to write something in the thread, such as, "I failed this week's goal." (And no internet cookies.)
    -Basically, find a partner and hold each other accountable.
    -When another living person expects something from you it is often easier to get it done.
    -(This may be a little like a progress journal, except here we expect each other to complete work instead of just reporting completed work.)

Any takers? Let's spur each other on.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2023
    J.T. Woody likes this.
  2. Madman

I want to write part 2 of a short story that should be completed by friday the 13th this week.

3. RMBROWN

RMBROWN Senior Member

There is a difference between just writing down words and getting a count, verses having something to say. Writer's block is Healthy. It means you have not either been mentally or physically challenged, had your morals and your goals put to the test. The story is not bursting inside of you to fight its way out. A writer has a burning urge to tell a story, a wordsmith is looking at the number of pages not the count. You're in a rush to finish part two of a story. Why not a hook with the details of chapter one so that is sounds so exciting and so interesting that I check back here to find out what happen.

Send me chapter one, if you're any good, I'll beg you for chapter two and pester you on Friday to see what happened.

A little tough love never hurt anyone :}

Madman likes this.
  4. Madman

I will send you part one in a PM in some hours, on my phone right now.
    But I would like to read something of yours as well if you are going to read something of mine, send it my way. :)

5. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

I want to complete edits for at least 1 chapter by the end of this week. (Gotta start baby steps)

(Also, i want a cookie, lol :D)

Madman likes this.
  6. Louanne Learning

Louanne Learning Happy Wonderer Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

If you are looking for a little bit of encouragement, I am happy to do it.

The first question: Do you know how the story ends?

If yes, it's just a matter of sitting down and writing it. This takes persistence. Try to keep away from the internet. Focus. Let the words come to you.

If no, then you have some thinking to do. Try to get a handle on what you want to say, and then figure out how you can say it. Here's where you really get to draw on your imagination.

Madman likes this.
  7. Madman

@J.T. Woody
    I will check on you at the end of the week (sunday?).

@Louanne Learning
    Thanks.

Right now I'm working on a main project that is a book series, I know how that one ends. I do that in conjunction with smaller projects such as short stories and connected short stories. The part 2 of the short story I want finished by friday, I have no end for, because I am thinking of it as a sort of serial project, that could theoretically continue endlessly. It will be about a mercenary who does various things in the same universe as my main project. So having no end for that one is a planned feature so far.

When it comes to writing, I often seem to have an easier time when people expect me to do it, like in a writer's group. When I very well do sit down and write, I usually remain focused enough to complete my writing tasks.

Louanne Learning likes this.
  8. Madman

Update:
    I failed to deliver on this week's goal. I wrote half the story yesterday, and today I am too busy to write. I have concluded that pushing towards a deadline is not going to work well for me, it hampers the creative process for me. I need time to think and develop the story naturally. Oh well, it worked a bit, since it made me write more than I normally would have, probably.

So no internet cookies for me. :D

How's it going for you, @J.T. Woody ? Done any editing for your chapter? I will also check on you on sunday.

J.T. Woody likes this.
  9. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

I have done absolutely nothing. I did not foresee this week being a low spirit/low morale week irl... But its what it became.

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  10. Madman

Alright. Yeah it's tough when you're in low spirit, can't get much creative done then. And indeed, it is as it is.

11. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Should I start levying 7 day bans for all who miss their goals. I got your accountability right here if you want it!

12. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

I want to complete the WIP I just started in 2023. It took me a year to write my first book, which was much more detailed and research intensive, and also written at a time in my life when I was much busier - full time job, part time side gig that was not writing related, and a teenager living at home. Now only the full time job applies, so it's doable if I don't get lazy and give up.

Madman and Homer Potvin like this.
  13. Madman

That's one way to do it. :D

@Laurin Kelly
    I will check on you in december then. ;)