1. Sher Duncan

Sher Duncan New Member

Homage or fraudulent?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Sher Duncan, Apr 16, 2019.

So I wanted to pay homage to family and some of my favourite authors by using names and a few titles. For example, I have a Captain Snyder (for Maria V. Snyder) and a place called "Sedamwaters" for the location of my favourite set of novels which is Sevenwaters from author Juliet Marillier.

Does this seem like an A-hole move as if I'm trying to copy or is it clear that it's an homage? Should I steer clear of this in case the majority would perceive this as fraudulent?

2. Arannir

Arannir Active Member

I was going to ask something very similar for a fantasy thing of mine (Lumber Bridge after Lumbridge from RuneScape for example). I personally think homage is great, it shows the influences and inspiration in your art.

I believe G.R.R. Martin created a whole continent (Sothorys) as homage to Lovecraft, so I believe you'd get away with a character and a location. If people spot it, then it's a fun little Easter egg.

3. Stormsong07

Stormsong07 Contributor Contributor

Several of my characters have names that are a nod to Harry Potter. Captain Godric Pemberton, Lt. Kingsley Glover, Lt. Rylan Potter. As long as you aren't blatantly ripping off another author's work (for example, my characters will have their own personalities and not mimic their namesakes) I don't think it's an issue.

4. Sher Duncan

Sher Duncan New Member

Great responses, thanks! I had to change Sedamwaters though because it was a bit too literal and it felt like it inched over into blatant ripping off lol.