1. Stonelands

Stonelands New Member

Greetings from New Zealand

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Stonelands, Nov 2, 2014.

Hello,

I am a 23 year old male living in Wellington, New Zealand. I graduated from university last year and I'm currently working in a call centre. I honestly believe that the last time I committed myself to creative writing in any serious manner that my age would not have even reached double digits. I've recently decided that amongst my other interests it would be good for me to get back into the process of creative writing, as much to prevent myself from losing any further sense of direction than I already have as for any other reason.

Currently I'm going through the process of constructing a prologue for a book that I have in mind. I'm pretty light on details at the moment but I'm hoping to produce something of a science-fiction novel with a very non-traditional feel to it. At the moment the dialogue that I have for the prologue is very dry and painful to read so it is definitely something that will have to be rewritten, perhaps multiple times. Still, nothing worthwhile generally comes without blood, sweat and tears. We'll just have to see if I get beyond this problem of dry dialogue.

I look forward to learning from this forum.

Regards,
    William.

FrankieWuh and GingerCoffee like this.
  2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Hi, welcome to the forum. May I suggest setting the prologue aside and moving on with the book, then come back to it?

3. FrankieWuh

FrankieWuh Active Member

Welcome to the Forum, Stonelands.
    Spent some time in NZ some years back - was lucky enough to be in Wellington (MiddleEarth) during the premier of the Two Towers. Cool place.

I agree with GingerCoffee by the way, you don't always need to get the prologue done to advance, unless you are hoping the prologue will inform the story in some great way. You'd be surprised how many beginnings are changed once a book is written. :)

4. Stonelands

Stonelands New Member

Oh the prologue will most certainly set up something important later on :)

5. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

Yeah, I can remember a time when my writing was going to revolutionize the genre...!

Don't TRY to get a non-traditional feel to it...just write a damned good story, and then edit it until it's a damned good book. Sounds simple, doesn't it?

matwoolf likes this.
  6. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Welcome to the forum, William :).

Here's our New Member Guide to get you started. Your project sounds interesting. It's great you are also able to look at it critically. There won't be any development if we cannot see any room for improvement in our work. :) I hope we'll be able to help you out on your journey!

See you around. :)
    -Kat

7. Owen Paxton

Owen Paxton New Member

Hey William. Great idea. Getting deep into creative writing is something that'll certainly pay off. I hope to read your stuff soon

Owen

8. Lilly James Haro

Lilly James Haro The Grey Warden

Hello William,
    Welcome to the forum, its nice to see a fellow New Zealander 'round here.
    I hope you enjoy your time here :)

9. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Welcome to the neighborhood.