Tags:
  1. GiveMeBackMyMagic

GiveMeBackMyMagic Member

Hoping for redemption! (Oh, and hi, by the way.)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by GiveMeBackMyMagic, Mar 29, 2018.

Hi everyone

I am hoping for redemption and I don't think I can do this alone.

For a couple of years now I have been writing trashy romances and cozy mysteries for online publishers for Amazon. Not that there's anything wrong with this, it's just so incredibly NOT me. I can do it, but really I shouldn't. Writing 4000 words of lite reading a day has made me almost hate writing.

I like dark, ethereal, spiritual, magical descriptions of everyday life and situations. I like emotionally deep, issue-driven children's books, both Middle Grade and YA. I like exploring with character's imaginations. I like worlds with no mental, emotional and spiritual boundaries.

Through working in these restricted, cookie-cutter genres, I have given myself some bad habits. I need to go back to slow, back to immersing myself, back to not outlining the heck out of everything, back to not having ridiculous deadlines and churning out a book in three weeks. I have been writing for fun since I was 11, and only when I started to do it for a living did I start hating it. :(

Last night I cried realising what I have lost. Realising what I have done to myself and to my love of writing. I want to recover, but I have a lot of healing to do. I have to stop wordcounting, and start feeling new worlds. I need to find the magic all over again!

2. Hublocker

Hublocker Active Member

Thanks for your introduction.

I'm struggling to write one cosy mystery. I can't imagine coming up with a new idea every three weeks. How did you do that?

I have my own cross to bear. For the past 28 years I've been working as a journalist in the marine trade writing 500 to 1200 word articles for fishing and shipping mags. I have lost touch with how to write longer things and to have the concentration to not run to Facebook and email and newpapers and Youtube etc. etc. all day.

3. Andrew Alvarez

Andrew Alvarez Senior Member

I began hating literature at around my thirteens, all thanks to the horrid mandatory books that are read on my country without any analytics or discussion about them. Never believed that would arrive to that point, when read my first book, The Odyssey, at nine years old. I even composed poetry... now barely can give a look at it, so, kinda understand your spot.

I don't think you should redeem in front of anyone, not even yourself. The magic is already there, just waiting for you to make of writing a life experience, conveying emotion, drama, horror, anger, love, silliness, and all the myriad of little emotions that makes us alive. It's great that you actually make a living from it. And if you need inspiration, I suggest for you to dwell into the unexpected! Make a surprise for yourself on writing, and let you be carried away for your own tale: be surprised of the awesome things you can create, in the first place, always. Other than that, I welcome to this forum, and encourage to find inspiration on the different threads around, and helping other writers on improving their work. For me, it has been an incredible experience, that would recommend to any fellow writer, no matter how skilled they are. If you write, you're welcome. Be well.

4. GiveMeBackMyMagic

GiveMeBackMyMagic Member

Hublocker hi there! I find the plotting the easy part with cozies and romances. Because they have to follow certain guidelines. The actual writing can be a slog though. I just can't put myself through it anymore.

28 years is a lot of conditioning to overcome! But I'm sure you can do it.

If you want to talk cozies anytime, I'm up for it :)

5. GiveMeBackMyMagic

GiveMeBackMyMagic Member

Andrew that was very inspiring. Thank you for the warm, encouraging welcome. It's making me feel better about the situation already :)

Andrew Alvarez likes this.