1. Raven

Raven Banned

Horror Genre

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Raven, Oct 31, 2007.

Horror something that has evolved over the years from classics to modern day slasher movies.

I remember the days Hellbound Hellraiser II was released on VHS and wow that movie was good and Stigmata what a good well written movie And another great classic Alien followed by the superb Aliens.

What Horror do you like and why what genre the new stuff or older stuff hammer Horror to early 90s Horror. Vampire Horror etc.

2. Endeavour

Endeavour New Member

Hellraiser is the epitome of classic horror. In fact a DVD setbox has just been released; celebrating its 20th anniversary.

The Alien films on the other hand gradually turned into a complete sh*t hole. The only Alien franchise movies that are worth watching are the first two. Alien 3 was filmed without a script, without any sense of direction and without any understanding of what fans really wanted. Then Alien Resurrection exacerbated the whole Alien image - despite being slightly better than the third. Rumours has it that back then, 21st Century Fox was desperate for money. And now we have AVP (Alien vs Predator), I just hope there's a far better sense of direction on this one.

Aside from these, I think the Shining was pretty good and so was the whole Freddy Krueger franchise. I'm sure there are many more...

3. wordwizard

wordwizard New Member

My favorite was the freddy krouger movies. Scared the wits out of me. Either that or the first chucky movie was good, and although I find it really corny now I really liked the pet cemetery movies.

4. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

I found Blair Witch very scary - so much so I actually had to hold my mother's hand during the show - not very manly I'll admit.

Oh and whilst on the subject of Horror remember to enter into the short story contest this week on that subject almost:

Short Story Contest (12) - Theme: Halloween - Writing Forums

5. Raven

Raven Banned

I found that 28 days later was the one Zombie film that scared me. wierd isn't it after all the horror I've sat through.

6. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    I prefer horror stories that deal with psychological horror. Most horror movies go for the "BLAH I'M A MONSTER!" and a lot of stupidity on the part of the main characters. So I don't bother watching them. I'm kind of jaded when it comes to horror movies, so I tend to throw the good out with the bad.
    Although I liked the first poltergeist movie, and the first two Alien movies. Unlike others I don't despise the third or fourth Alien movies just not my favourites. The first one or two Hell Raiser movies were interesting as well.

Edit: I really liked 28 Days Later. That surprised me, but except for how the disease was released, it seemed realistic, and the ways the various characters snapped wasn't perfectly realistic but it didn't require a huge suspension of disbelief. And the way the main character acted was awesome.

7. Raven

Raven Banned

I actually prefare Alien Resurrection out of the 4 movies. Though im not keen on the Aliens vs Predator movies.

I too like the psycological movies too. Entity was a good classic movie as was Poltagiest 2 and the haunted.

8. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

haha, i hid behind the cushion. :p

i also found 1408 scary as hell (i screamed in the pictures), The Ring put the craps up me the first time i watched that and yea, the Alien films are brillaint but not very scary.

a sick film though was Wolf Creek. that made me feel sick, i had to go to bed half way through. :(

9. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

10. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I like a wide range of Horror, from Zombie horror and the Romao films 'of the Dead' series and 28 Days Later, to Pychological Horror (Jacob's Ladder, Session 9, Silent Hill games, Lovecraft) and Cosmic Horror (Lovecraft) and even Gothic Horror (The Modern Promithius, The House on Hounted Hill)

I'm a big Horror fan :D

11. Raven

Raven Banned

Session 9 was a rather good film I bought that a few years back for my wife because she likes David Caruso.

As for 28 days later I must admit that played on my mind for a few weeks I guess it was the running of the infected. Kind of scarier than slow moving Zombies.

Jacob's Ladder was an excellent film. I also liked Stigmata i found that one well written and very entertaining.

12. Endeavour

Endeavour New Member

What about 28 weeks later? Is it any good? Has anyone seen it yet?

13. Raven

Raven Banned

28 weeks later is good more action packed but it doesn't fully have that Paronia factor the first has. Worth watching though.

14. Endeavour

Endeavour New Member

The interesting fact about 28 days later is that it was a very low budget movie. Yet somehow, it felt very high maintenance.

15. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Most British films are like that.
    It was actually, almost entiry shot on digital camira.

16. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

yea, it was a good film jsut not very scary. the scariest zombie film i have seen, i think, is Silent Hill.

a good film that had me hiding behind the cushion was darkness falls.

17. Raven

Raven Banned

Silent hill was very tame compared to both the 28 days movies.

Infact Elmo In Grouchland was scarier. lol

18. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    I liked Silent Hill. I liked how they did the scenes where the husband and wife were in the same rooms but different dimensions.

19. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Hmmm. Horror doesn't generally scare me, as such. I like the excitement, to be honest. The only film that's ever scared me is White Noise, and that's only because it was three in the morning, after I'd been up for 36 hours, drinking a mixture of coffee and alcohol. In the sober light of day, it wasn't so scary.

20. Raven

Raven Banned

Yeah.
    But I felt the film could have been much better.

Another film I liked but could have been so much better was screamers. I felt that fill could have been something more.

21. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The best horror cinema is where they keep faking you out, setting you up to think it's going to happen NOW! but it's a fake-out. Over and over again, until you start laughing at the lame attempts and BANG! it comes on full force, just a heartbeat BEFORE you expected the next fake-out.

22. ILTBY

ILTBY Contributor Contributor

The only horror movies I've ever really liked have been the Saw movies because they contain that psychological element that most horrors don't. Most are too mindless and gory for me, I prefer movies that get inside your head and have a lot of twists and turns.

23. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

The Blair Witch Project frightened the crap out of me, I remember not being able to sleep for three days- I kept thinking the Blair Witch would pop-out and eviscerate me, lewl.

Silent Hill
    frightened me as particular scenes made me feel.. claustropobic.

Alien wasn't too bad.

One movie, that made my heart beat out of my chest (mm Alien moment) was Signs- one, because I was 13 when I watched it lol and 2 because it was amazingly crafted visually, very few movies are able to create suspense.

24. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Signs? With Mel Gibson?

I didn't really like that. It didn't make a whole lot of sense. The aliens can jump onto roofs, but can't kick a door down? And they're allergic to water, so they invade a planet covered in it? I dunno, maybe it's just me, but it seemed very much lacking in realism.

25. ILTBY

ILTBY Contributor Contributor

I thought the Blair Witch Project was terrible, it was so disappointing :p Silent Hill was alright, but still not great.

Signs scares the crap out of me even now, especially the scene where the alien walks out in front of the camera in Mexico. I don't know why, but I find it terrifying. And then when you can hear them on the roof and trying to get in, it totally creeps me out.