Horses for human consumption

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Dresden260, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Cacian

Cacian Banned

when I say pets I mean the obvious ones like dogs and cats.
    A chicken I do not consider as pet.
    It is a farm animal.

2. Cacian

Cacian Banned

what would be a better comparison?
    I cannot think of another to explain it to be honest.
    I mean people who eat dogs is not normal to me because in the west dogs are supposed to be human companions and pets.
    so either adopt something to have for company and fun like horse riding.
    I cannot comprehend the idea of becoming attached to something to only then have it for breakfast.
    I keep my distance from animals like farm aninmals because I know I will have a roast chicken or a steak.

3. Cacian

Cacian Banned

well this is just a saying and I am guessing the person who made up this saying obviously dislike horses or his appetite is as big as a horse.
    I mean why else would one suggests we eat one.

4. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

So you consider sharks and kangaroos pets? Or just that they should be free? And cows used to be free. And chickens. And horses. We domesticated them. Shouldn't they be let go to roam free again or something? (not in my opinion, of course, just trying to understand yours) And why would you keep your distance from a cow? They're sweet creatures, as I said. Beautiful really. There's nothing sweeter than the face of a cow calf ;)

5. FoxPaw

FoxPaw New Member

In that case, neither kangaroos nor sharks are pets and you specifically pointed them out.

People should just be allowed to eat what they want to eat. (I don't condone canibalism though...) It's not as if they're forcing you to eat something you don't want to, no one can do that, so why tell others to stop? Different people have different tastes and sometimes there's a cultural aspect: I happen to live "in the east" where it's acceptable to eat dog. I would never do it because I love my dog too much to even consider it, but that doesn't mean I'm going to take a two hour plane ride and tell people to stop because of my views.
    I have a vegetarian friend. She doesn't tell me to stop eating meat and I don't tell her she should. We both understands the other's view points and respect them, but we don't force our opinions on each other.

6. Cacian

Cacian Banned

No one is saying do this or do that.
    I am voicing my opinions and that is perfectly permissibe.
    I am sure people will carry on doing whatever regardless of what anyone says.
    However it is important to share opinions in order to learn from each other.
    It is better to know what other people think in order for all of us to make or take appropriate decisions regarding anything we do.
    It is better to be in the knwo then not.
    I am saying how it is, you can say it how it is, but at least we have said it and accepted it as being something different.
    After you can make of it what you wish but at least you know about it.
    No one is perfect.
    One of the reasons why freedom of speech is important is because one learn from another about things they have never heard or said before and then move one to apply or not what they have learned.
    ''I hear/see therefore I think therfore I am'' type of thing.

7. Cacian

Cacian Banned

No one is saying do this or do that.
    I am voicing my opinions and that is perfectly permissibe.
    I am sure people will carry on doing whatever regardless of what anyone says.
    However it is important to share opinions in order to learn from each other.
    It is better to know what other people think in order for all of us to make or take appropriate decisions regarding anything we do.
    It is better to be in the knwo then not.
    I am saying how it is, you can say it how it is, but at least we have said it and accepted it as being something different.
    After you can make of it what you wish but at least you know about it.
    No one is perfect.
    One of the reasons why freedom of speech is important is because one learn from another about things they have never heard or said before and then move one to apply or not what they have learned.
    ''I hear/see therefore I think therfore I am'' type of thing.

8. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Humans are animals. And, of course, animals routinely eat other animals. The human body is adapted to eat meat, in addition to vegetable matter. Many of our ancestors ate a lot of it.

9. seelifein69

seelifein69 Active Member

Remember that a lot of these exotic meats are eaten by people in poor countries...If you had something else besides a dog to eat, would you really eat a dog? It's not always about choice, sometimes it's the social norm and sometimes it's the only thing you have to eat. Let's not judge people in different societies that aren't as ethically/economically/social sound as ours.

And when you think about all the poor dogs, cats, guinea pigs, and horses that are being eaten, try not to forget the millions of domesticated farm animals that we slaughter ever day (and not to mention the growth hormones and poor conditions of life).

I understand that we are a modern people, but not everyone has caught up to that, so we have no right to judge something we don't understand.

10. seelifein69

seelifein69 Active Member

Haha I agree with this!

Life wasn't always about Whole Foods and texting, people! Animals and plants were put on this earth to coexist. Yeah, it's sad to see the big momma lion eat the baby gazelle, but it's even sadder to see those cute cubs die from starvation. We are animals, and our cognitive abilities make us top o' the food chain. Humans are omnivores (meat+veggies=yes) and our bodies need to have meat. (Yeah, vitamins shmi-tamins...it's not the same).

I find nothing wrong with hunting as long as you eat what you kill. When you kill an animal, and don't use it for a purpose (food, pelts, self defense) than that is cruelty. Everyone is entitled to go to McDonalds, or be a vegan, or whatever. But killing animals is unfortunately inevitable. If you don't want to eat animals, be a vegan, but don't think that you're going to change the perspective of (for instance) a 40 year old Nigerian man and tell him he has to eat celery instead of hunting deer, because it's "morally right".

(What if one day, vegetarians end up eating all the plants in the world, therefore killing the herbivores, therefore killing the rest of us. Did I just discover how the dinosaurs died? [I kid, of course])

11. Trish

LOL, sorry 'bout that :redface:

12. WriterDude

WriterDude Contributor Contributor

Why? What makes horses so much different that cows, pigs and sheep?

13. Cacian

Cacian Banned

kangaroos and sharks are wild animals so I won't consume what belongs to the wild out of respect for the wilderness.
    Pets are what we know of as cats and dogs.
    Ikeep my distance from farm animals because I eat meat and so prefer not to have any kind of bond with them.
    Animals are creature of habits and if they are surrounded by humans, like us, they become used to us and attach themselves to us.
    Think of dogs and cats they become used to humans and learn to like us and become our companions.
    I consider it unfair to form a relationship with an animal that I am going to eventually eat.
    Whilst it may not affect you or others as such , I think it does ot the animal and that I think is important to me anyway.
    I reserve my distance to humans and pets like dogs or cats I wish to adopt or have in my home.

14. Trish

Well it sounds pretty typical of a lot of people, and pretty hypocritical. To me. The ones that you're going to eat you just won't bond with and therefor they no longer have any purpose other than feeding you. They're not gentle, or sweet, or pretty. Except that they are. And wild animals are more special than those raised to be food as well. Interesting. I don't share that view, obviously. I think they're all equally special. I love them all. It doesn't stop me from eating some of them, just like it doesn't stop me from appreciating the fact that an animal died so I could eat. Apparently that's just me though.

You seem to think that farm animals, animals raised for food are just there for your use. They exist only FOR you. Like your own personal slaves. (but you're up in the big house where you can benefit from their work, just not have to watch them do it). Pretty disgusting actually. The more I think about it. And now I am walking away from this......

15. Cacian

Cacian Banned

hi WriterDude:p
    sorry I hope you do not mind me answering this
    the one thing I can think of right now is that
    one rides a horse and therefore it is useful to have around for farming/ploughing/riding/transpot..
    the other two are farn animals that have not other purpose then that being consumed for their meat.

16. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

^ Does it help any if someone finds them 'sweet', and yet eats them and the end result (for them) is the same?

Just playing devil's advocate, because, well I'm not sure I quite get it.

17. Trish

Ummm.... sheep produce wool, Cows produce milk and manure that is used to fertilize fields, pigs are incredibly intelligent animals that can be trained to do tons of things (off the top of my head). Just because people USE them for food doesn't mean that's all they're good for.

18. Trish

Was that at me or Cacian?

19. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

Animals eat other animals. That is the way of life. Do you also think all the carnivores of the world should stop eating meat and starve to death? I will wager you do not care that animals eat each other. So why care that humans eat animals when you have already said that we ARE animals? Isn't it the exact same thing? Also you are a humanitarian, do you also wish for the third world countries of the world to give up eating animals? Their main source of nourishment?

Honestly, I would argue that we as humans put down our food more humanely than the animal kingdom. We are smart enough to do it fast and efficiently. Though I will say that there are plenty of inhumane slaughter houses and farms. Which is why I (as a chef and consumer) only buy, cook and support humane/organic products. I am firmly against senseless animal cruelty. The only problem I have with raising livestock for slaughter/wool/dairy etc. is that there isn't strict enough regulations to keep it as humane as possible. But I believe with food culture being more and more trendy every day that we will soon have all humane meat and dairy as well as all organic produce very soon (in America).

Not only does humanely raised/butchered meat taste much MUCH better, it is also the right thing to do. We also need to ban high fructose corn syrup and heavily processed food (in America). Those are two huge factors in Americas obesity problem. If all the fast food chains were forced into using real food, they would not be unhealthy. Same with half the crap you see in super markets. Corporate America needs to stop being greedy and blinded by shelf life and give the country real food. I also hate the fact that the poor cannot afford good organic and non-proccessed food. It is not right. Everyone should have the option to eat the healthiest food they can.

1 person likes this.
  20. Jhunter

What is not normal for you to eat is completely normal for other cultures around the world.

The best example is dog. Just because you keep it as a pet and don't think of it as food, does not mean China feels the same way.

21. HorusEye

HorusEye Contributor Contributor

Animals are far crueller to each other than any slaughter house. I'll eat anything if it tastes good and isn't poisonous. I'm a big dog & cat lover, but if I was offered a chance to eat meat from one of them, I'd try it. Thing's already dead, why let it go to waste?

22. Trish

Nod. Nod. Nod. Perfect. You're awesome :)

23. Jhunter

You are 100% wrong with that statement.

Cows produce dairy and are strong. They are used for many other things than meat.

Pigs hunt truffles, one of the most prized foodstuffs in the world. They are highly intelligent and are used for other things besides meat.

Sheep produce dairy and wool.

24. Jhunter

Eating horse is an everyday thing outside of America. Just like eating every other animal/insect in the world is a normal thing outside of America. Most countries do not have the luxury of picking and choosing their food like we do.

1 person likes this.
  25. Allan Paas

Allan Paas New Member

If you say 'outside of America' you really should be more specific. Do you mean everywhere else or just some areas? I'm not from America and we here do not eat horses.