Horses for human consumption

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Dresden260, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

We need a graphic image, sound effect, or other flag to indicate that a post is meant to be viewed as humor and not intended to reflect the serious views of the author.

2. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

You are taking what he said way too seriously. ;)

3. Jhunter

I cant wait to recite this to my vegetarian and vegan friends. :p

4. Steerpike

Heh. Just don't forget the little business card with the disclaimer "I'm not really advocating that you starve yourself to death" printed on it :)

5. Dresden260

Dresden260 Corrupt Diplomat

Sitting by a Fountain, Watching the world go by.
    Not really I'm just defending some point I have not made yet. :p

6. Jhunter

Haha, word.

7. Jhunter

Touche. :p

8. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

Doesn't cows eat hay too? what does what they eat have to do with anything? All the animals we eat eat something we wouldn't... horses also eat oats and we do eat that.

9. cobaltblue

cobaltblue New Member

I LOVE THIS!!! Let's only eat suicidal animals.

Do wild horses eat hay? Or are farm/ranch raised horses only eating hay because we (humans) have decided that is a good food source for them? Did American Indians eat horse meat, or did they raise their horses to exist above the level of 'food source' ?

Going off on a tangent related to an earlier comment - the Chinese restaurant in the town where I grew up was closed down after dog meat was found in the freezer (true story) -- in this case I disagree with 'pet' animals being served as food, but then if I grew up in Asia maybe I'd think it was okay and I'd be annoyed that Western society thought it had the right to comment on my menu options.

And why have cute little bunny rabbits not been mentioned on this thread yet? Hands up if you'd eat Thumper.

10. seelifein69

seelifein69 Active Member

I would eat a rabbit.

I used to be so against killing animals, but I liked meat. I am just getting to the point where I can dismember a deli chicken...!

But deer meat is so delicious. And so is steak!

I love to shoot guns but I prefer clay pigeons to real ones.

Step by step I am understanding the circle of life! lol

As long as I don't see it die, I think I could eat it. Rabbit stew is supposed to be delicious!

(taken into account that I would kill and eat something if I was starving in the woods, but it would be after a couple days...)

11. Steerpike

I'd eat Thumper just to make him stop all that damn racket with his foot.

12. Lydia

Lydia Contributor Contributor

I kinda read the first comments in this thread, but it got kinda boring and stuff...

Eating horse meat is absolutely normal for me. I've been using a meat grinder today and it involved horse meat too.

13. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

Well, I would probably be starving if I had to kill the animal myself as that is something I could never bring myself to do. :D
    I think it's funny to read how people reason in this discussion, chickens and lambs are cute too, right?
    As for the chinese eating dogs i can definitely understand that, every culture has different habits, there are people eating insects and snakes and frogs too. Eating horse or even dog is not more extreme IMHO than eating lamb or chicken or veal.

14. James Berkley

James Berkley Banned

i love rabbit hunting and eating rabbit.

15. cheesecake

cheesecake New Member

Well said on the 2nd part. I'm not saying that I'm all hype about eating horse meat, but meat is meat is meat after all. No different.

16. Jhunter

A horse is a horse, of course, of course.

17. Pea

Pea super pea!

I don't see anything wrong with eating horses. We eat cows, sheep and pigs, which can also be pets to some people. I keep snails, yet they're more commonly seen as food.

Though I do think it would be a good idea to require people to at least shoot a few of the animals they eat, at least enough so they understand how it gets to their plate. Eating chickens and then balking at twisting one of their heads off and plucking them is what makes no sense to me, and contributes to the awful state of livestock welfare. Out of sight, out of mind?

1 person likes this.
  18. art

art Contributor Contributor

An odd idea.

I think I would be reduced to eating only strawberries and cream, and broccoli if that sort of idea obtained. (Though perhaps not the cream..that milking business strikes me as pretty hideous.)

I can't make a car but I drive one. Division of labour innit?
    Have a proficient slaughterer kill the creature, skilfully and perhaps happily, or get me to do the same job inefficiently (prolonging suffering) and very unhappily?

19. Pea

Pea super pea!

I don't mean every time, but at least a few. If you're so disconnected from what you're eating that you can't stomach killing what you eat, then you shouldn't be eating meat anyway. And that's good for everyone.

Edit: Except the ones who make their money on selling meat, I guess.

20. arron89

arron89 Banned

I don't really agree...I know about how animals are slaughtered and butchered, both in humane, free-range contexts and factory farm ones, and I appreciate how the meat comes from the animal to my plate, so I don't see what would be gained by me involving myself in that process. I mean, I think a certain level of disconnection is a good thing, at least for the majority of people...I don't want to be guiltily thinking about murdering birds while I'm eating chicken, but that doesn't mean that I don't understand and appreciate the process. To be honest, I think it's probably more important to teach people about vegetables and things like that, there's a lot more to learn and understand there than there is in how to break down a side of beef or something.

21. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

Yes, quite. People already know what meat is, I would think.

I knew when I was quite young.

I see no need to go out and kill my own at this point, same as I don't grow my own fruit or vegetables, or milk my own cow if I don't have to. If I had to, I would do all of these things.

22. Bob Magness

Bob Magness New Member

If you live in the western world then killing your own animal is not going to give you much of an idea of what has to happen to get that meat to your table. Most meat in , let’s say the US for example, comes from factory farms. The main problems with factory farms aren’t the methods in which the animals are killed but in how they are treated during their lives. I think it would be more beneficial for a person to either visit a factory farm or to watch video footage of factory farm operations than it would be for that person to shoot an animal.

Even if you are a vegetarian animals are going to suffer due to your dietary and life style choices. That is life. But we can still do what we can to MINIMIZE that suffering.

1 person likes this.
  23. Pea

Pea super pea!

Yes, you're right.

24. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

My issue with this is not the question of what is okay to eat or not eat. I realize that mass-production slaughterhouses and animal cruelty should be avoided, but I'm not against eating meat raised humanely. However, I would never try to convince a vegan to eat meat, nor would I want people getting in my face about what I should eat (or any other choice of mine, like religion or politics or whether I should have kids, etc.)

My issue with this is the fact that it was just shoved through by the president despite the fact that there was a majority opposition in the House and Senate. Forgive me if I'm wrong on that, but as I recall, the article indicated that that was the case. (I read the OP several days ago).

No matter what the issue is, if the majority disapproves of it, the president should not be ramming it through. (Unless of course it's something that violates Constitutional and basic individual rights, for example, if everyone suddenly decided that rape or murder or fascist control should be legal then it should not become legal. However, this is not a case of something like that.)

25. arron89

arron89 Banned

Nope. There was bipartisan support for it. 70% of the public disapprove, but that doesn't matter because that's not how the system works.