1. louis1

louis1 Member

Can my story be too complex ?

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by louis1, Mar 20, 2012.

It's kind of hard to explain but I've been plotting this novel for a year now. it's a fantasy/horror/adventure story, obviously it began with a pretty simple story: a kid running away from home but now i feel like the world i'm creating is growing out of control/proportion. I know it's a good thing in a way,
    I know all the back story to every character
    I know the world they live in
    I know pretty much everything i need to know
    but i feel like it good get to complicated for the reader there's just soooooooooo much to handle Even i get confused sometime.
    and don't worry i'm not dropping bulks of back story just for fun, everything has a purpose within the story and this is my issue, it feel soo big and i can't seem to remove anything or else something else might not make sense

so Can my story be too complex?

2. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Don't panic. I've recreated the universe lol (the story also has one hundred characters and seven subplots)

As long as it is relevant and there are no infodumps it is fine. The most important thing to make sure is that your work is readable and that it isn't confusing readers.

3. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Everything you created, every bit of character backstory won't make it's way into the storyline.

It shouldn't. Knowing that 'stuff' helps keep your story consistent (actions, places, motivations, names, etc.), no plot holes or painting yourself into a corner. But that doesn't mean every detail has to grace the pages of the novel. The reader should only learn enough (hopefully through context, action and dialogue whenever possible) to follow the story and characters as the plot moves forward. What information and details are necessary? Use them. What isn't necessary, don't clutter the story with it.

4. louis1

louis1 Member

well this is what i first said '' i'm not dropping bulks of back story just for fun, everything has a purpose within the story and this is my issue'' still every detail is important, i can't cut anything i'm just scared people will get overwhelmed with all this.

5. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

I like to get overinvolved in development stage, but to write out every single little point I thought was cool would make a right mess of things. The trick is, I find, to write down all your bits and pieces (as you no doubt did) and then put it aside and start writing the book. Don't throw anything away because at most unusual moments you'll feel like looking something up, but the rest of the time, let your knowledge of the fantasy world you have created guide you in crafting the story as you write it. I found it impossible to plan everything ahead. At best, there's a general idea, an ending and a few pivotal scenes stuck in my mind. Everything else is the product of the creative process and reactions of the characters that I know really well by the time I start Chapter 1.

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

It's time to prune

7. TheSilverBeetle

TheSilverBeetle Member

I love a complicated book. Like Catch-22 for instance or Stephen King's The Stand. As long as you don't go crazy and your story still makes sense, then you're good.

8. colorthemap

colorthemap New Member

Short Answer: No.

Long(er) Answer: You can never know until you write it. So go ahead and write it then keep what works and trash what doesn't.

9. Batgoat

Batgoat New Member

At the end of the day, how much of your planning actually makes it into the final draft and how much ends up on the cutting room floor? Also, how much (sometims better) stuff springs up spontaneously and unplanned while your actually in the process of writing?

10. funkybassmannick

funkybassmannick New Member

It all comes down to: Does your story work?

We can't really tell you that, because we haven't read your story; we can only suppose what it is like from your description. If you really want a good answer to this question, it is best to find several people to objectively read and critique your completed story.

11. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

for the reader, I think no. If it's too complicated for you to handle, that is another issue. As long as you can make it seem clear to the reader that is the most important.

12. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

How many of us know the full details of every colleague's or schoolmate's life? How many of us know in detail the ramifications of every political party of our country? Every historical happening that has shaped it?
    It is not necessary for you to go into such intricate detail.