1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. post apocalyptic

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. Mutants [human]

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Demons & Angels, divine, etc. Not Da Vinci code but rather The Devil's Advocate sort of deal

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Outer space / aliens

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  6. Fantasy

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  7. None / Other

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  1. BlackBird

BlackBird New Member

Would you read

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by BlackBird, Jan 5, 2013.

I am wondering if someone would read books of the following?

Traditional Fantasy - e.g. elves, dwarves, etc

Contemporary fantasy

Aliens / Space

Mutants - Human

Angels/Demons Concept

Vampires

Post apocalyptic

I am very open minded with what I read, though I prefer the old classics to the lovey dovey crap that is available nowadays [Twilight which is both sexist and abusive if you read between the lines of the story, e.g. when Edward & Bella have sex she dismisses the bruises as nothing].

2. Talmay

Talmay Member

Fantasy is my preferred genre. Traditional or urban -- if it has fantastical undertones, I'm there.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

There is already a "Favorite genre to read" thread, with a poll. It is stickied to this forum.

4. BlackBird

BlackBird New Member

Which covers

Humor
    Crime/Thriller
    Horror
    Fantasy
    Science Fiction
    Romance
    Western
    General Fiction
    Other

Except for fantasy none of the opinions overlap.

5. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

I must say that I hate that these "Choose a genre"-polls use radiobuttons and not checkboxes (i.e. you can only choose one answer). It is my belief that almost everyone loves more than one type of book. I, for example, would have chosen both "fantasy" and "post-apocalyptic" in this poll, had it been possible, and "fantasy" and "sci-fi" in the stickied poll/thread mentioned by Cogito.

6. SunnyE

SunnyE New Member

When I was a kid, I got my family's hand me downs. Grandma read romances, Grandad westerns, mom mysteries/general fiction/crime novels, dad sci-fi, sister horror. It was excellent because it opened the door for me to enjoy pretty much anything and as I got older, I read everything I could get my hands on. Right down to the Encyclopedia (back when they were giant sets of heavy hardbacks) and the vacuum owner's manual. Seriously. With age, I learned to appreciate the classics and true literary works along with non-fiction. I will still read from any genre, but now tend to get into the fantasy books more. I think people who limit themselves to one genre are doing themselves a disservice. You never know what you might be missing if you eat spaghetti for dinner every single night, you know?