1. vintage_fairy

vintage_fairy Member

How can I describe an African royal palace?

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by vintage_fairy, Nov 25, 2021.

So, for my African-inspired world, I've given it a royal palace named the Palace of Ibhbesi (Zulu word for lion), and the palaces of ancient Egypt inspired its design for it to be modern and up to date. I'm currently looking at pictures of what they had looked like, and some of them are very grand and elegant. The exterior itself had taken a bit of architecture of our own, such as Saudi Arabia, and the Royal Palace of Madrid, but the interior of it has West and South African influences and designs, with crystal chandeliers made from glass exported from the other seven kingdoms. I'm terrible at describing things, so that's what I got so far.

2. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Some writers struggle with description, but you first have to have an idea what the place looks like. If it's a real place it's fairly easy, just go there or look at photos and read first hand accounts of the place.

For your palace, once you have the general image and important details, I'd take Stephen King's advice and think of the first things you'd notice, not just appearance, but also sound and smell (if they are relevant).

For example, is the main palace hall/room long and narrow or wide? Are there columns throughout it or just a vaulted ceiling? Are there torches or hanging censers spreading incense? Is there a lot of traffic or activity going on? Is the floor marble or regular stone? Are there carpets? Are the colors vibrant or fairly bland, possibly monochrome?

These are just superficial questions to ask, but once you answer them, it can help to describe them in a more detailed and beautiful way.

3. Cress Albane

Cress Albane Active Member

Try to sketch your palace. It doesn't need to be the most beautiful drawing in the world, but try to draw like you mean it - google every piece of the palace you want to include, check how it's called and how different people described it. In no time, you'll amass a vocabulary of an amateur architect and you'll be able to describe your palace's fictional structure (thanks to the drawing that will visualize its form) and the real-world components you've used (since you'll need to do some research to actually draw it :p)

And don't worry, you don't need to be good at drawing. But it's much easier to describe something that has a physical form - even if that form is just a silly sketch. I can't draw at all and I use this method all the time ;)