1. jonathan hammett

jonathan hammett New Member

How can I get a children's story made into a book?

Discussion in 'Publishing' started by jonathan hammett, Jun 20, 2020.

I've written a children's story for my son. He's five. How can I get it put into proper book with illustrations?

If I could get it published that would be great too. It's called " Bert the Attention Seeking Cat" or "Bert- the cat that didn't like to be ignored".

It has a number of situations where he's ignored and consequently does something silly to get attention. There are three possible things he does and my son has to guess what he did then turn the page to see what he actually did and what happened.

E.g. he was being ignored at a party so did he

1/jump onto all the food on a table

2/climb down the chimney

3/meow

My son has to guess which of the three he did.

Based on a real pet I had

Aceldama and Justin Attas like this.
  2. Richach

Richach Contributor Contributor

Sounds great!

Find beta readers, proofreaders, illustrator, editor, publisher.

Basically that is going to be the process. If you decide that you don't want to take it that seriously and you just want the book for your son. Go find a local printer, they would treat it as a booklet/brochure. Even better if you can speak to a major printer (they print for all the other printers) they will have endless contacts for graphic designers, illustrators who may be charmed by the idea and be willing to help for a fee. Think you have lots of research to do and if you need any help with the process, the members here will help or put you on the right track.

Good Luck!

jonathan hammett and Aceldama like this.
  3. Justin Attas

Justin Attas Active Member

If writing the narrative/finding an illustrator isn't on the table... I'd say start surveying ghostwriting hubs. Places like fiverr or writerswork are decent. As a former ghostwriter, I can tell you people would be more than willing to help you turn the spoken word into a book. It may be a bit costly, but you can negotiate by allowing the ghostwriter's name to appear on the cover with yours. Sort of a co-written scenario. I'd say that's your best bet. From there, you can either pitch the book to a traditional publisher/indie publisher or self-publish. DM me if you have more questions. I've spent a good volume of time nose deep in research on this stuff.

jonathan hammett likes this.
  4. jonathan hammett

Thanks. I'll search for a beta reader or proof reader etc. Could someone steal your idea though ? lol. Want someone to perhaps re-phrase some of the wording perhaps or re-write it slightly if they felt that was better. Perhaps give me some ideas on whether some of the scenarios the cat gets into could be changed or made more amusing. Two actually really happened!

Any recommendations for a beta reader or proof reader?

5. jonathan hammett

I've used fiverr to design one of my business cards, and it was very cheap for what I got done.

Thanks

6. jonathan hammett

I checked fiverr and there are a lot of ghostwriters with varying prices. This all sounds great- I'll contact one soon

7. Richach

Might I draw your attention to the workshop that is run on this site. Click workshop, children's stories and I would recommend looking at the thread for 'the shoe.' as well as many others. The workshop is an Aladdin's cave for aspiring writers, and much can be learned from taking a look or even better taking part.

You are welcome to share work there and get feedback.

In regards to someone stealing your ideas, it is possible but very unlikely IMO. The skill of a writer is in the writing (technique, structure, form) as well as imagination. I don't think it is likely that someone will steal a half baked idea from someone else. I don't mean that to sound rude but it is true.

8. big soft moose

big soft moose The Moderating Moose Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Except that our friend is a new member and needs 14 days, 20 posts and 2 crits before he is able to post work for feedback

Richach likes this.
  9. Richach

Good points.

10. jonathan hammett

Yeah, actually I don't write fantastically. I wonder if there's someone who can check how it's written too? I'm gonna use fiverr for the animation. Is it worth paying for a more expensive artist?

11. jonathan hammett

Hi Justin, so get how the story is written improved then AFTER that worry about the illustrations? Where would I get the illustrations done? Fiverr?