How can I get readers to not become fixated on minor characters?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Ryan Elder, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Ryan Elder

Ryan Elder Banned

Well in my story, the police at the time are not aware that the victim is on the gang's side, and they assume that the house is not owned by someone hostile. Basically the woman hostage, cannot say the kidnapping was all right when the police arrive, cause she doesn't know which one of the gang was arrested yet. So she doesn't even know who she has to exonerate. She cannot name the other gang members who got away either, cause they do not want her giving the police her names. So she has to keep quiet. Plus as soon as she finds out which one was arrested and which got away, she doesn't want to make up a story as to how she knows the one and exonerated him, but at the same time, cannot tell the police, the other's names.

Because if the police catch her in a lie, when she goes into how she knows one and not the others, her words can be used against her as evidence. Where as if she remains completely silent and does not cooperate, they cannot use her own words against her as evidence, and cannot get her into any trouble since it's her right not to talk. That is what her lawyer would advise her to do, is not to talk if keep it silent so her own words cannot be used against her. I was told that by a lawyer as well, that that is what they would advise such a client to do in that case.

So the police assume she is a victim cause she is too scared to talk, and they do not know she was part of the gang. So in that case, it's not fruit of the poisonous tree cause they do not know the house is owned by someone hostile. By hostile, do you mean someone who is part of the gang?

2. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Your whole plot is laughable - and hugely over complicates what ought to be a relatively simple issue. (that is why don't you drop the whole victim is part of the gang and the blood in was pretend yadda yadda thing and just have a real blood in where the victim is afraid to testify)

That aside, given that the arrested gang member knows that its a setup why isn't he saying so ? If he is saying so and the victim isn't denying it, why are the police even investigating this non event... this wouldnt get anywhere near court and your lawyer and police contacts ought to be telling you that , assuming you are asking them the right questions.

Also surely your police aren't stupid - they must have a gang unit and have a fair idea of who's a banger and who's not ,so the whole "oh they think shes an innocent victim" thing doesn't stand up (If you'd done some actual research you'd understand how gangs and gang units work )

And as regards "Fruit of the poisonous tree" that's exactly the argument the arrested gang member would make in court (if it got that far which it wouldnt) ie the police had no right to enter X dwelling without a warrant as a crime was actually not being committed, and thus all evidence discovered there is FotPT , and thus any charges against my client such as a weapons charge should be tossed

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
  3. Ryan Elder

Ryan Elder Banned

Sorry, but I don't understand. You quoted me but you didn't put anything else in your post.

4. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

The problem with this whole scenario is this whole scenario. From beginning to end, the idea of a "staged blood-in" doesn't work. Requiring that the wildly implausible staged blood-in be wildly implausibly witnessed by a police officer and then is dealt with with a wildly implausible prosecution just makes it worse and worse and worse and worse and worse.

My other post: https://www.writingforums.org/threads/how-can-i-get-readers-to-not-become-fixated-on-minor-characters.148283/page-3#post-1489538

Do you think that Fred was wise in creating a psychopathic cook who murders his therapist and buries said therapist in a community garden, JUST to get a chocolate cake into his story? Do you think that Fred's entire problem is really the question of whether a decaying body will affect the growth of a tomato? Could Fred's problem perhaps, just possibly, come earlier in his plotting?

5. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Fuck up on my end - I've editted it now

6. big soft moose

Surely not, we've never seen that issue before (apart from in multiple other threads on this story - like the one about whether justifying rape because the perp is really ugly is a good idea )

7. ChickenFreak

Well, yes. There is really nothing in the entire plot, from beginning to end, from major to minor plot points, that is not wildly implausible. But apparently I can't stop pointing out the implausibilities.

8. big soft moose

I'm also having real problems believing the "I'm talking to lawyers" thing, given that Ryan doesn't appear to understand that "Fruit of the poisonous tree" is an argument that a defense lawyer makes to have evidence ruled inadmissible , ergo it doesn't matter what the police believe at the time at which they gather the evidence, it only matters what the established facts are by the time it gets to court (or by the time the DA realises its a load of unprosecutable garbage and does a deal)

This leads me to conclude that either

a) Ryan has misunderstood everything the lawyers have told him
    b) The Lawyers concerned don't practice criminal law and have no idea what they are talking about
    c) the lawyers concerned are actually first year law students Ryan met in a bar
    d) The lawyers concerned don't actually exist at all

I'm torn between A and D although C is also completely plausible (which is more than can be said for virtually everything in this plot)

9. Ryan Elder

Ryan Elder Banned

I see your points. The police are more desperate to nail them, cause the gang is suspected to be the same gang who is responsible for a series of kidnappings and murders previously in the story. And their masks and costumes, look exactly the same as the ones that are used in the gang's hostage videos that the made, and broadcasted online for the world to see, previously in the story. So they have the same costumes. And the ones that got away, committed felonies in the process, such as having a getaway car, that could not be traced to them which they destroyed the evidence of, in their escape.

So the police believe that these are the same guys and they want to try to indict the one who is arrested and pressure him into cutting a deal and giving up the others. The reason why the one who is arrested does not say it was all a game, is because the police are going to ask him who the others are. He does not want to give up the others' names for the police to chew on. So he would have to take remain silent, which is lawyer advises him to.

If the fake victim that is rescued by police, her lawyer would also tell her to remain silent, so the police do not keep pressuring her into giving up the names of the others who got away.

The reason why the blood in had a fake hostage, is because when executing a blood in, the gang just wanted to see if the new recruit could pull the trigger. They did not feel the need to use a real hostage at that point, so they just got one of their own to pose as one to fool the new recruit, just to see if he was capable.

Plus the point of blood ins is to weed out possible undercover cops as well. By using a fake hostage, if the new recruit was a cop and he tried to do something to save the hostage, the hostage being a real one, means that if she escaped, she could testify. If an undercover cop saved a fake hostage then she likely wouldn't.

However, since the prosecutor is wanting to pressure the arrested gang member into testifying he still keeps pursuing the case, wanting to use the cop's testimony. He also arrests the victim with a material witness warrant in order to get her to testify at a hearing to find out what really happened and what he knows, so he knows what he has for a case, and may or may not be able to use her testimony.

This causes the gang to panic and go after her, to find out what she really told the police.

As for the cop finding out about the blood in and spotting it, he is being over-zealous, I suppose I could have the defendant complain about it being fruit of the poisonous tree. However, since the house was owned by the woman, the woman would have to complain with him since it's her house. That's what the police told me. So if the defendant does say that there was no kidnapping and nothing happened, again the police are going want to ask him the names of the others. So wouldn't just have to remain silent on the advice of his lawyer anyway?

But let's say the blood in does not make enough sense. In my story, in order to go the direction I want it to go, basically I want the victim of a kidnapping, to turn out to be on the villain's side. A kidnapping which the police discovered, not knowing who any of the kidnappers are, which means it would probably have to be discovered by accident.

Is there a better way to write the story so it produces those two pay offs, other than the blood in scenario?

As for the lawyers and police I talked to, they say fruit of the poisonous tree, only counts if the property is owned by the victim, and therefore, the defense complaining about this would not legally do any good, since the defendant was in the victim's property.

The court would have to get the victim to agree with the defendant in this case. I could write it so she does if that's better?

There is one major point though, that hasn't been touched on yet. You say the she could just tell the police that no kidnapping happened and they misunderstood, right? However, if she talks the police are going to ask her, who her friend were that resisted and ran away. She doesn't want to give up their names. So if her following the advice of her lawyer, and keeping quiet is illogical, like pointed out, what is she suppose to say when the police ask her for their names?

10. big soft moose

Like chicken freak said the problem with this scenario is the scenario - its totally implausible

The whole point of the blood in is to force the new recruit to commit a crime , not pretend to commit a crime. read up on the Crips and the Bloods, or La Eme (the mexican mafia) they do shit like this, but they don't toss about pretending for fear that someone is an UC

The general rule for joining a Crip set is that if you want in, you've got to do a felony , if you want to be OG (original gangster - like being made in the mafia) you've got to take a life ... they also don't twat about with blood ins where the gang is setting itself up - the lifetaker just does someone (often a member of an opposing gang) on the street ... if you'd done a decent ammount of research you'd know this stuff

also this

Is bollocks and I strongly doubt any competent lawyer told you anything of the sort , FotPT arguments apply to any scenario where the police didnt have due cause to enter/search or whatever before finding the evidence. A classic one is where they stop a car and find a load of drugs in the trunk but the defense attorney proves that the traffic stop itself is no good and thus the drugs are FotPT and thus inadmissable

In this case if the defense can demonstrate that no crime was occurring then the police didn't have a right to enter the "victims"property and anything they found having entered is inadmissable

ETA it took me less than 30 seconds with google to find this https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/fruit_of_the_poisonous_tree , for gods sake do some research instead of relying on your (mis)understanding of stuff you think you've been told. (this also applies to your implausible detective burgles a law firm nonsense - because the evidence he obtains is obtained illegally it is also inadmissable)

11. Ryan Elder

Ryan Elder Banned

Alright, you say that the point of the blood in is to commit a crime. But why does a crime have to be committed into test someone. If the person thinks he is committing a crime, and he is going through with it, why isn't that enough? Why does an actual crime have to be committed? What's the benefit?

I know it's fiction, but in the movie In the Line of Fire for example, a gang of crooks test out a newer guy (Clint Eastwood), by having him shoot a hostage. It turns out that the gun had no live bullet in it.

The TV show 24 did the same thing. So in those situations of testing out newer guys, they criminal organizations did not feel that the new guy had to actually commit a crime to test them. Why is that? Why do they have to actually commit the crime to test them?

Also the cop does not enter the woman's property without probable cause. He hears screaming and panicking, goes to look by the front door, and look a little closer, to where it is coming from. He hears that it's coming from behind the wall. He sees a crack in one of the logs, since it's a log cabin. He looks inside the crack and sees a screaming and panicking woman with a gun pointed at her, and she is tied up and blindfolded. I was told by police that this gives probable cause and entering can be done in this scenario.

Also since it is her property, legally any probable cause complaint would have to come from her. You didn't touch on how she would have to complain at all.

12. big soft moose

So why are the gang committing blood ins at all ? - clearly an actual crime has to be committed so that all members are equally culpable and so they can't grass on each other (also in your original plot synopsis you had the gang leader videoing the blood ins - a video of a crime not being commited is bugger all use as leverage

So at the time he enters the cop believes he has probable cause... but remember what i said earlier, what matters is what the defense can prove, not what the cops believed at the time. If the defense can prove that in actual fact a crime was not being committed because the woman was play acting then there wasn't cause to enter and any evidence (such as illegally held weapons) so obtained is invalid

No that's rubbish , the probable cause/ FotPT issue would be advanced by the defense of the person the evidence is aimed at accusing. (this is different to the "how dare you enter my house" probable cause complaint you are thinking of

However this is all rearranging deckchairs on the titanic - the big issue is that the plot is unbelievable rubbish, and you haven't done anywhere near enough research into any of the key areas you are writing about

13. big soft moose

Also , and I hate to be harsh here Ryan , but you've got over 180 threads about this story , with an average of about 10 posts on each arguing with the advice you've been given.

If you stopped continually posting threads and actually got on with writing your story you'd have at least 180 pages, which is about 2/3s of a credible manuscript which people could then critique excerpts from ... wouldn't that be a better use of everyone's time ?

Sifunkle likes this.
  14. Ryan Elder

Ryan Elder Banned

Sorry I don't mean to argue too much but I want to touch on some root points which were not touched on that could help, I think. Well I changed so that in my story, the gang leader has other collateral on the gang members, other than the crimes they committed during the blood ins. I wrote it now, so that the leader has tapes of them committing other crimes, after the blood ins, and not the blood ins themselves now. The blood in themselves, I think should be just tests to see if the new recruits can be trusted. So after they discover they can be, then they have them commit real crimes and record them as leverage.

Okay let's forget about everything else and just concentrate on on the opening blood in itself. The point of a blood in is weed out undercover cops as well, right? At least that is what I was told. Let's say the gang actually tries to get the new recruit to kill a real hostage, and the new recruit actually was an undercover cop. If he was an undercover cop and he couldn't shoot the hostage, the gang is not just going to say, "Thanks for trying. See you later", and let him go. If they do this, the undercover cop, will just come back with back up, hoping to save the hostage.

So the gang would have no choice but to kill the undercover cop, if he refused to kill the hostage. Let's say the gang kills him then. Other cops are going to wonder how that cop disappeared, and they are going to be looking at the gang member suspects, who the undercover cop integrated with, in order to become a member and get in. So those suspects are now going to be heavily surveyed and investigated by the police if the undercover cop was last known to be with them.

The gang does not want all this heat on them. So killing a new recruit for not doing the job is not in the gang's best interest, cause he could be an undercover cop, and killing him means more heat. So this is why the gang does a fake blood in test. That way, if the undercover cop is an undercover, the gang can deny that any kidnapping or blood in took place.

Does this make sense as to why a gang would not want to kill a new recruit if he knows too much, on the count that he could be an undercover, and therefore, not want the first initial test to be a hostage?

15. big soft moose

they are criminals - killing a cop is not going to bother them (as i said read up on the crips/bloods La eme, the triad gangs, the west siders and so forth.)
    that aside its very easy ... hey just give the new recruit a gun and tell him to kill xyz person the street. If he does it hes in, if he doesn't he's out (and the gang may well kill him) if he turns out to be an UC they just deny all knowledge of having told him anything of the sort.

No hostages necessary, no mess, no incriminating loose end, no body to dispose of - jobs a good un. The key being to not let the new recruit "know too much" until you are sure that hes trustworthy

Also why are the gang recruiting new members they don't know at all ? If you look at the actual 'bangers most of the people they recruit are kids who grew up on their turf and they know who's who. The police don't generally try to infiltrate them with UCs because its so damn difficult. (or if they do , they do it with the help of an inside man, ie a member of the gang who's been compromised)

On the wider point - what is the purpose of this scene for the purposes of your plot (which last time i looked had a cop being raped and seeking revenge)

16. Ryan Elder

Ryan Elder Banned

But I was told on here before that the gang would not be stupid enough to do a blood in on the street cause there are too many witnesses. I was told that they would do it indoors. So what changed now? Why not use a kidnapped hostage, if it keeps the blood in from being off the street?

The gang wants to recruit new members. One has a friend, who he thinks might be good, but he has only known the friend for a few months. They always want to take precautions.

The purpose of this scene is to get things started in the MC wanting revenge for his rape. Basically the woman who was pretending to be a fake hostage, doesn't say it was all fake at first, cause she doesn't know how much the cops know and she knows she has to exonerate one of the members who was arrested. But she doesn't know who was arrested yet. So therefore, she has to wait and find out more from the police and from the gang first, as to what story to tell. Her lawyer and the gang leader just tell her to keep quiet hoping the prosecutor will not take it court without her testimony.

During this time, the MC who rescued her investigates the case and gets closer to her, to try to get her to talk about what happened, and try to get her to testify against the suspect, and keep him arrested, so they don't have to let him go. She sets her sights on the MC as her next rape target. So she pretends that to act like the innocent kidnap victim who is in danger in order to get him closer to her. She fakes a break in at her house, saying that the gang who kidnapped her must have done it. The police tell her that they cannot protect her at this time, especially since she won't cooperate as a witness, and cannot afford to give her around the clock protection.

So she goes to the MC saying she in danger and doesn't know where else to go since she is a loner with no friends or family that can help at the moment. The MC then watches her after believing the break in threat on her house to be real, and she then takes him hostage, and rapes him then.

Plus the blood in has other pay offs as well. The new recruit builds into the ending with one of his crimes being recorded and this helps find the other recordings as well. So the opening blood in, has more than one pay off that I intended.

17. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

Don't you love how you say something like this, then get sucked straight back into the madness?

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  18. big soft moose

So still utterly implausible rubbish with no grounding in reality then.
    As I may have mentioned already

DO SOME RESEARCH

Also a revenge story starts with the act for which revenge is being sought (or at least has it within the first couple of chapters)- it doesn't have a vast and highly complicated and improbable build up to the point that by the time the offence occurs the reader has lost interest

19. big soft moose

Fuckin A, bro . I really don't know why I'm bothering with his crap , given that next week there'll be another thread with nothing we've said here taken into acount

Spencer1990 likes this.
  20. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

Anymore, I just pull up a chair and laugh at the exchange. Honestly, I don't even read his replies. I just read yours and chickenfreak's. :superlaugh:

Sifunkle likes this.
  21. Solar

Solar Banned Contributor

Incompetence.

22. ChickenFreak

Yeah. @Ryan Elder, I really think that a minimum level of courtesy on your part would require you to STOP creating a new thread for every single issue, and just have these discussions on one and only one thread.

Because these discussions are maddening. A person could ignore you, but the discussions include posts by other people that they're not ignoring, so that Ignore doesn't work. If you confine the discussions to one and only one thread, then people could just ignore that thread. The people who want to discuss--and for a reason that I can't begin to comprehend, that too often includes me--would probably provide you with plenty of interaction on that thread.

Sifunkle likes this.
  23. ChickenFreak

No, because the "opening blood in" is one of the most impossibly implausible things.

24. Ryan Elder

Ryan Elder Banned

Well does the story have to have grounding in reality? I was told before that it's okay to have a plot with outlandish events as long as you keep the story entertaining, and create suspension of disbelief.

As far as having a series of events happen before the revenge, if I have the rape happen earlier on in the story, what is going to happen for the rest of the story? The MC getting revenge on the woman is not going to take that long. Why would it take a whole story to get revenge? Then it's just a drawn out revenge sequence, that lasts a longer amount of time than it needs too. The revenge wouldn't take the whole story. Why does the majority story, have to be an act of revenge after?

Plus if I have the rape happen early on, the reader doesn't have enough time to get as emotionally invested in the main character, compared to developing him more, before the tragic event happens to him.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
  25. ChickenFreak

Ryan, this thread is coming up to the point where we all give up and stop responding. That usually inspires you to open a few more threads and start the whole cycle over. Please don't do that.

Sifunkle likes this.