How can we best improve the writing contests?

Discussion in 'Writing Contests' started by Daniel, Oct 27, 2018.

1. davidm

davidm Poodle of Guernica

Well, one very basic way to improve the contests is to conduct them on time. The end of voting for the chess-themed poetry contest was Dec. 15. Apparently voting is still open. The deadline for submissions to the latest poetry contest, the theme the color green, was also Dec. 15. Apparently it is still open to submissions. Yet today is Dec. 26.

2. exweedfarmer

exweedfarmer Contributor Contributor

STORIES! There are stories in the contest this month, and they seem to be breeding like rats in the sewer! YEAH!

3. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Thy rod and thy Staff Supporter Contributor

Standards. Accepting a 221 word story in the Short Story Contest (1200-5000 words) shouldn't happen. Letting members judge if a story fits the prompt is fine, and I don't expect that the contest admins check each and every story, but when something comes in at less than 20% of the required length, admins should have the ability to simply boot it.

December 2018 Short Story Contest

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    Shenanigator and Mark Burton like this.
  4. EightyD

EightyD Member

I think if writing contests were in a separate category on their own with a more prominent formatting rather than being just another bullet point in a long list it may have more success attracting traffic.
    You can also add links to each category of contest in the other pages addressing those topics. Ie general fiction short story page will have a link or banner on the top of the page for the contests. The pages y at naturally attract the most attention should have links or reminders to the contests.

Mark Burton likes this.
  5. John Calligan

John Calligan Contributor Contributor

I'd be 100% more likely to vote in a contest if I got an alert telling me to do so.

Shenanigator and Mark Burton like this.
  6. exweedfarmer

The contests are pretty hard to find. https://www.writingforums.org/threads/march-2019-short-story-contest.161722/ There is a lot more interest in the short story contest than in months past. Encourage early READING. No one wants to slog through 50000 words all in one sitting no matter how good the stories are. We had one voting member vote for a story last time because it was the only one he read. Aggregate voting. The winner of the February contest would have won in the first round because it was not only many people's first choice but most people's second. We could have skipped the tie breaker.

7. exweedfarmer

Once again: Enforce the prompt or get rid of it. The leader this month is not going to tie (thank heavens) but it has nothing to do with the prompt. It certainly is an (unfair?) advantage to just ignore the prompt and post your best work.

talltale and matwoolf like this.
  8. matwoolf

matwoolf Contributor Contributor

Also to reiterate @Excrackdealer's points the readers need a clue if somebody likable has written a contribution, possibly an asterisk, as in 'this writer is somebody I trust with my vote.' Too often 'loser types' win the competitions, the people who appreciate their victories in a smug and solo fashion and think they are better than everybody else. People like that live in wood cabins I believe in Washington state, USA. Thy contribute little to the general caucus [thank you] of well-being, including moderators.

9. big soft moose

big soft moose The Moderating Moose Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I wonder if we'd get more votes if the voting pole was on the submission page rather than having two separate threads

Shenanigator likes this.
  10. EightyD

EightyD Member

The location of the contests in general is in an awkward and inconvenient location. If you want greater frequency, it needs to have greater prominence.