Tags:
  1. Marthix2016

Marthix2016 Banned

Nude Scenes...to use or not?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Marthix2016, May 15, 2018.

I've been contemplating whether or not to use a nude scene for one of my characters. For her, I think it'd be a scene that would show (not tell) about some of her qualities and her feelings. There are multiple ways I could do this type of scene...not sure which way would be best so help me out if you can.

One thing I must mention is that this character likes playing both sides...both good and evil...sneaky...she flips multiple times and can be extremely dangerous (thought she manages to keep that low-key so no one really knows). This character has a several battle scars on her body...cuts and lots of stitches (especially on her torso)...there are particular ones she remembers because a former ally/friend gave them to her...for this scene I think it would be interesting if she touched a particular scar and it burned/hurt...made her feel a bit more revengeful...reminds her of how much hurt the person who gave it to her has brought to her life...they did more than just give her a scar they also betrayed her and damaged her family. She is a strong character...I think this nude scene by herself in a room would be powerful to the reader with what I'm trying to present of the character.

Another thing I was thinking about for her was to have a sex scene. Originally, I think she was more asexual...didn't care for relationships...but I'm not sure if that is believable or human to most readers. She must have some sort of interest in romance perhaps? Knowing her background so well, she's not into guys for various reasons. She would have a relationship with another female character and she would love this character sincerely...one note is that this main female character I'm talking about is fairly shy. She uses this relationship as an outlet. I'm not sure how a girl + girl sex scene would look to most readers...I know it's not as common...you don't see it often in books...so just trying to figure what would be best way to portray it. It doesn't necessarily have to be long or anything...just a moment between my character and her girlfriend before a big battle or confrontation the next day. Any tips on how to write a scene like this would be appreciated if I decide to do this.

Now this next idea is a little bit out of left field maybe but what if I actually had a sex scene between her and a guy (even though she's not interested in guys) but this scene would be used to showcase her confidence, dominance, and power? She would utilize her body to her advantage...to lure a male she secretly despises so much to have sex with her...and in the end she would kill this male character in this scene. She is an expert at setting up traps. I think it would be a unique idea to present her strength...that even when she's not equipped with armor, sword, guns, etc. she can still kill and she is confident at doing so even without protection. I think that would sent a statement to the reader of how toxic and dangerous she could be.

Just kicking around ideas. I think for this character a nude scene would make her a little bit easier to identify with the reader and more believable. Any tips, advice, or recommendations are welcome!

jannert likes this.
  2. Aaron Smith

Aaron Smith Banned Contributor

I like scars on characters. They show history, and sometimes they can reveal deeper details about the character.

It is a common motif used in film. If I show you a black person with a back full of long scars, do I need you to tell you more about the character at that moment? There's also the cliche battle scar - a slash across the eye is typically the mark of the warrior. Then there are personal scars that typicaly tell a unique story, examples include branding, ingravings, and as implied above, whipping or other specific instances of torture.

So I'd definitely go for it.

Leanne likes this.
  3. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Are you writing a screenplay or a novel? A nude scene in a novel is essentially just saying that the character has no clothes on, right? Not that shocking.

In terms of sex scenes - if the scenes serve your story, they're important and should be included. But it sounds like you're still pretty early in the planning stages and aren't quite sure what your story is, yet, or at least what the details are? I'd be careful to not make decisions about what scenes to have until you're sure what the story is. If your story demands that you have a sex scene (or a fight scene or an eating scene or a courtroom scene or any other scene) then you write it, but I don't think it's a good idea to decide to write one of those scenes and then shape the story to make room for it.

4. Marthix2016

Marthix2016 Banned

Thank you for the advice. This character I'm speaking of definitely has battle scars on her body and they will show history as well...reveal really deep details about her life and her relationships. If I think about her youth, she may have been tortured or even whipped. I would have to call this particular character a bit of a tragic one. Even though she's in incredibly good fighting shape, she's suffered so much physical damage to her body in her life with being tortured in her youth and fought through battles in her adult life...and lots of stress from playing both sides good and evil...I think the readers will ponder how much longer she can still stand and survive. I want her to feel human, very real. I hope readers will form an emotional connection to her, even though she will do some bad things to people in the story.

5. Marthix2016

Marthix2016 Banned

Yes, I'm still in the planning stages of writing a novel. Yes, nude seeing just saying the character has no clothes on. If I were to make a nude scene, it would be an important part to this character's arc. I think showing her battle scars over her life will be an important piece to this. Whether that's just a scene of her without clothes where she studies her battle scars by herself (or maybe with someone) or a sex scene, I think this will be an important part to her. She usually keeps armor on all the times so you don't get to see the battle scars she's wearing underneath her armor. I think showing her scars will be very important one way or the other. I suppose I should take some more time to think about the story then shape it to fit this scene in. Thank you for the advice.

6. EstherMayRose

EstherMayRose Gay Souffle Contributor

I understand that you're not trying to offend anyone, and that not everyone's an expert on sexuality, but there are a couple of things I'd like to point out to you.

Sexuality is not a choice. You cannot choose to be a lesbian because you have been treated badly by guys. Sexuality is something that is ingrained, even if you choose to try a relationship with someone of the gender you're not attracted to, which I understand a few people do.

Secondly, asexuality. There is a wonderful website called asexuality.org that is the official website of AVEN: the Asexuality Visibility and Education Network. It is a real orientation. As an asexual - and an aromantic - myself, I take gentle umbrage at the linking of asexuality with villainy and lack of humanity. I would applaud you for including an asexual or aromantic character. We need more visibility. But again, this would have to be a part of who she is, not a choice she has made.

I'm not trying to have a go at you. I just don't like to let comments like this pass and so I am giving you an opportunity to educate yourself.

As for the nude scene, go for it. In a fanfic I wrote, I had a scene where a character was in the bath. Your readers can "shoot" the scene, if you will, any way they like. If they want full-frontal nudity, they can imagine that. If they want artfully-posed angles which don't reveal any private areas, they can imagine that. In my head, my character was hidden by the side of the bath. Someone may have wanted to picture something else. Who knows? It won't do too much harm.

BayView and izzybot like this.
  7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

1. Know your audience. How will they react to the scene? Will their reaction correspond to the reaction you wish to evoke? Woll you drive away readers you would rather retain?

2. Know yourself. Can you write the scene with authenticity and the necessary subtlety?

3. Know your character. Will the scene develop your character, or will it just come out of left field?

GuardianWynn likes this.
  8. BayView

But because this is a novel, not a film, you can "show" the scars with or without nudity. That is, whether she's nude or not you're going to have to put the scars into words. (not saying I have a problem with her being naked at any point. But if the only reason to have her naked is because you want readers to know she has scars? You can do that with her clothes still on, if you want.)

9. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

I'd like to back @EstherMayRose up on the asexuality thing -- there's frequently a link made between sexuality and humanity that implies nasty things about ace people, who are -- get this! -- also humans :p I don't think you need to give this character some sort of love interest for readers to think of her as 'human'. However, if you do want to give her a love interest, there's nothing wrong with that, of course.

I'm a bit unsure about the idea of her having a sex scene with a guy if she's not into guys. It could be a way to show the reader that she's powerful / dominant / in control I suppose, sure, but what does the character get out of it? She kills the dude, but she could do that without boning him, surely? And if she's not interested in having sex with men at all, then what's the point? She could fake seducing him to make him vulnerable, but what's her rationale -- not yours -- for setting things up in such a way that she actually has to have sex with him?

Her having a loving, consensual relationship with another character would likely soften the character somewhat, make her more sympathetic, because most readers are going to connect more easily to a character who's capable of forming a connection with other people. I think that's probably your best route for building sympathy. Having another character remark on her scars and her open up and talk about them would probably help to make her seem more vulnerable, as well.

BayView likes this.
  10. EstherMayRose

Of course, this relationship does not have to be romantic. People often overlook the potential of friendships and family (literal or metaphorical) relationships.

izzybot likes this.
  11. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

Agreed. I'm a huge fan of strong, important platonic/familial relationships in fiction, so I will push my dastardly agenda and say: give her a sister instead! :D

orangefire likes this.
  12. Ale

Ale Member

As someone else asked before me, is actual "nudity" needed to talk about her scars though? The character could be taking a bath and notice old scars (which is a cool idea), but there would be no need to explicitly describe her naked body. In fact, that might give a creepy fanservicey undertone to what could be a great character developing scene. As for sex scenes, I would only add them if they are necessary for the plot. Good luck with your story!

13. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

The idea that the scars are revealed by a nude scene suggests that some other character is seeing those scars (otherwise, there would be no need for nudity; she already knows about her own scars), which would suggest that your point of view character for that scene is that other character. Does that work for you?

jannert and BayView like this.
  14. honey hatter

honey hatter Banned

Showing nudity or not is just a choice, the fun part is finding the connections. What does she love? How much does she love it? The question she has when she touches her scar, how deep is that connection to the person she hates? Does she hate so much that she clenches her teeth tasting blood?

The relationship aspect, you say that she's a bit aesexual. A great tension builder there, draw it out slowly. Her and the other girl, she feels numb... until she doesn't.

The Author Becky Chambers - Long Way To A Small Angry Planet, is a rare bird because it's a sci-fi Novel that just happens to have two lesbians in it.

I love writing like this that just tells the story the way the story wants to be told.

The WIP I'm working on has that same aspect a female vampire and a ballerina, there is a lot of humor but also a deep connection through the bite and the sex and blood.

One quote I came up with that I hope will inspire. Give your characters permission. It will give a more freedom than you expect.

Iain Sparrow likes this.
  15. orangefire

orangefire Active Member

I don’t think anyone would question a scene where she notices her scars while her clothes are off. It’s not like that would be describing anything other than the scars if I’m reading your post correctly. If you’re worried about people freaking out because of her stated lack of clothes, she can probably still reflect on her scars with her underwear on. (Assuming the story takes place in a world where people wear underwear.)

And for the second point, I don’t see anything wrong with the asexual idea. I like @izzybot and @EstherMayRose ’s suggestions of giving her some interesting non-romantic relationships instead.

16. BayView

I'd be cautious of the idea that someone's asexuality can be "cured" if they're with the right partner... if she's asexual, she's asexual, even if she really cares about someone, etc. So the "until she doesn't" may not be a good direction to pursue.

17. honey hatter

honey hatter Banned

Even plants need TLC

18. BayView

I don't think that's really connected to asexuality.

honey hatter likes this.
  19. honey hatter

honey hatter Banned

You've skin is a little thicker, I like that. Just means I have to bite a little harder *grins*
    Just joking BV I'm a lighthearted free spirit. I lark about the plant and biting you. *tips her hat smiling at BV*

20. EstherMayRose

But "TLC" doesn't have to be sex. Like Bayview said, asexuality is permanent, even if she's a romantic asexual. And no, it doesn't mean there's something missing in our lives.

honey hatter likes this.
  21. honey hatter

honey hatter Banned

I agree totally Esther, there are some aspects of the mind that are divergent from what i know. I have a nephew who is autistic, i'm just beginning to understand him and how his mind works.

Asexuality, is new to me to very interesting. To have a connection there doesn't need to be any sex as you said. What they mean to each other can be just as deep as any love. If they are away from each other, that could make the feelings even stronger. So many ways to paint this picture.

22. EstherMayRose

If you're still unfamiliar with the concept of asexuality, then I'd recommend checking out the site I mentioned above, which should be able to answer all your questions.

honey hatter likes this.
  23. honey hatter

honey hatter Banned

thank you EstherMayRose a name as lovely as a rose. My grandmother's name was Rose.

Sorry if i offended by my lack of knowledge and posting my idea for something different. I did not intend to step on any toes.
    I hardly ever read the manual on anything, but now you've got this bi-curious girl curiouser. Going to read up on the subject.

A quote from our fellow writer Shakespeare

"If we shadows have offended,
    Think but this, and all is mended"

24. honey hatter

honey hatter Banned

I enjoyed this part especially that i just read.

There is no litmus test to determine if someone is asexual. Asexuality is like any other identity- at its core, it’s just a word that people use to help figure themselves out. If at any point someone finds the word asexual useful to describe themselves, we encourage them to use it for as long as it makes sense to do so.

EstherMayRose likes this.
  25. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

If the scene you're contemplating is simply to be able to deal with the scars on her body, then if she was nude with somebody else in a non-sexual situation ...a doctor/healer, perhaps? Or bathing in a stream? Anywhere she might be where somebody else might notice the scars and ask her about them? She doesn't have to tell the other person a single thing, but it could set the scene in motion for her remembering how she got them and/or reacting to how she feels about them?

Also, it depends on where the scars are on her body. If they're on a part of her body that normally remains hidden by clothing, then obviously the clothing will need to be removed for somebody else to see them. And this can go all the way from simply removing a long-sleeved garment to reveal scars on her upper arms, to scars on more intimate parts of her anatomy.

And like somebody else pointed out, she knows she's got the scars. In fact, you could make a big deal about her NOT revealing the scars to anybody. She doesn't have to be nude to be thinking about them, either.

Lots of ways to approach this problem. Think of what works best in terms of how you portray her character otherwise.