1. unicorn.junction

unicorn.junction New Member

Describing Racial Differences

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by unicorn.junction, Jan 21, 2018.

Hi! First post on this website. Looking for some insight.
    I like to include diverse characters in my writing, but I was struggling with how to describe a person of Asian-type decent (Japanese, say) in a world where Asia isn't exactly a thing.
    Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Well, not to state the obvious, but how can a character descend from a place that doesn't exist?

Shenanigator and Mouthwash like this.
  3. unicorn.junction

unicorn.junction New Member

You know what, I totally came across this very enlightening blog post, and I have found the answer to my question. Thanks anyway!

4. John Calligan

John Calligan Contributor Contributor

There are some solid blogs out there on this topic. If they don't do it for you, you can also look up fashion blogs and makeup (foundation and eye makeup) blogs so you can learn the way Asians talk about other Asians.

jim onion likes this.
  5. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Skin color, eye shape, hair color/texture, stature would be obvious physical distinctions. When you say descended from, how far back are you talking? Have remnants of her cultural ancestors remained? Asian culture is very different than ours, and it's quite striking when having conversations with people who grew up there.

6. Birch

Birch Member

You could describe skin colour (pale, tanned, dark), you could say "slanting eyes", smooth blue-black hair, you could describe their body type, (short/tall, narrow/broad frame, flat-chested, etc.), you could describe behaviour (quiet/outspoken, polite/rude, composed/giggly/immature/, hardworking/lazy)

I'm not sure exactly what you were thinking of. Are you looking for something like Japanese stereotypes? Because there are different stereotypes concerning Japanese, like the silent composed version, who is good at technology and math, or the manga-creating, giggling, cute version, etc. And did you really mean Japanese-like or anything in Asia, like for example Japan, because the people differ greatly depending on the region you’re looking at. China, for example, in the south people tend to be short, while in north, the people tend to be tall – at least to “western standards”. Skin colour varies a lot, as well as the slanting, lidless eyes most people associate with “Asian”.

7. John Calligan

John Calligan Contributor Contributor

Here is a blog with some different names for different types of eyes:

https://www.bforbunbun.com/eye-makeup-tips-for-14-different-types-of-asian-eyes/

I suggest you stay away from using the turn "Asian Eyes" because it's offensively non-specific, even if it's a type on a makeup chart. Also, try to stay away from "almond-shaped" eyes because some Asians find it offensive. I can't find the blog on google, but I read one where the author went into detail about how more whites have that sort of eye than Asians. Slanting eyes is another one to be careful about, and often offensive, because it sounds like there is a proper "white" angle for eyes to be.

Here is a chart for skin tone. It fails when it gets to the darkest tones but isn't bad otherwise. The main thing you want to do is to say the color of the skin, specifically, because not all Asians have the same skin tone. You also want to avoid calling any hair or skin by a food name, unless you're going to start saying white people have yogurt, tapioca, or Alfredo skin (see, it's gross).

If I'm wrong on any of this, please correct me.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  8. Iain Sparrow

Iain Sparrow Banned Contributor

No, actually, you cannot describe an Asian person as having, "slanting eyes". Get serious.

Here's a neat little passage from Mark Twain. His description is tongue-in-cheek and should not be taken as pejorative.
    And I'd also use almond-eyed to describe such a character.

'So and-so' captured a wretched knave of a Chinaman who was stealing chickens, and brought him gloriously to the city prison; and how 'the gallant officer Such-and-such-a-one' quietly kept an eye on the movements of an 'unsuspecting almond-eyed son of Confucius' (your reporter is nothing if not facetious)...

matwoolf likes this.
  9. NiallRoach

NiallRoach Contributor Contributor

Food descriptions are generally considered a no-no, be it almond eyes or chocolate skin.

10. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

You toffee-nosed teacher.

Cave Troll likes this.
  11. matwoolf

I remember baulking (sp) like a good fairy when my old tabloid photographer buddy described breasts 'like spaniel's ears.'

'You horrid, horrid man.'

He's still alive, I hope. He did a glamour photo-shoot among the million crosses laid on the Downs for 'Oh, What a Lovely War.'

Gross character.

SethLoki likes this.
  12. SethLoki

SethLoki Retired Autodidact Contributor

hah, for the preservation of the food faux pas. I've heard it said that if they should be seen shaven, they'd have the resting texture of congealed gravy. It might have been the same man.

matwoolf likes this.
  13. Dragon Turtle

Dragon Turtle Deadlier Jerry

When will the "almond-shaped" myth die already? If you don't already find that descriptor bad, read this.

"Slanted" has a racist history behind it and I'm not even sure what it's supposed to refer to. Many Asian people do have eyes that tilt one direction or the other... but so do people of other races. idk, it's like non-Asians look at Asian people, know something's different about their eyes, but lack the vocabulary to describe what so they just grasp at straws.

In general when people want to know how to describe Asian eyes, my feeling is "don't." From that post the OP linked:
    I usually stick with coloring, hair type, and bone structure when describing characters, unless I have a compelling reason to single out eye shape. I think the underlying question here is "How do I signal to my readers that this character is Asian in a fantasy setting," since a lot of readers will assume white until proven otherwise. And I've never really found a good answer. I'll never forget the people who insisted the characters in Avatar the Last Airbender were white. People are just going to think what they want to think.

14. matwoolf

What about writing a 1940s American? Do we revise-up? No more 'Japs?'

15. Dragon Turtle

Dragon Turtle Deadlier Jerry

It sounds like you're asking whether it's acceptable to use period-appropriate racial slurs, which is an entirely different question from indicating race in a fantasy setting and might be worth its own thread.

BayView, matwoolf and Simpson17866 like this.
  16. matwoolf

Heh heh, I think you'll find you are on the wrong thread, actually, hmm. Sometimes people write in 'voice? ' One should consider that element - aside from the almond eyes.

[No, no...I understand :)]

17. Iain Sparrow

Iain Sparrow Banned Contributor

For writers, you bunch sure don't read between the lines much.
    I was being facetious. I thought it rather obvious, but I suppose next time I'll insert lots of smiley-faces to drive home my intent.

I would no more use almond-eyed to describe a character's eyes as I would a character's nervous state by writing, she had butterflies in her stomach.
    Whether it's appropriate or not matters not nearly so much as the fact that it's a long overused cliche and should be retired from literature.;)

As to the original query... if it were me, I'd describe such a character who's a stranger in a strange land by dress, or more likely by a curious custom she might keep that's not shared by her hosts.

matwoolf likes this.
  18. NiallRoach

NiallRoach Contributor Contributor

Given that people still do insist on using tired foody descriptions, and that they can be offensive instead of just boring, I don't think it's unfair to err on the side of caution.

19. matwoolf

Can it be that difficult to 'write' a crowd of Japanese boys, a Korean woman - without leaning on a purple and exotic blade discarded in the forests surrounding Mt Fuji?

20. Just a cookiemunster

Just a cookiemunster Active Member

These types of issues are problematic for me because race is such a hot sensitive topic these days and everybody is offended by eveything. Let's say for example I wanted to write about an east asian character or an African character or whoever. I for one love to read and write lengthy character descriptions. I need to know EXACTLY how the person I am reading about looks which is just a preference of mine. Then I would have to ask myself how do I describe these characters? Do all Asians have almond or slanted eyes? No. Do all Africans have darker skin and broader noses? No of course not but the majority does. Stereo types exist because there is some truth to them. So now not to offend anyone should I disregard how MOST Asians look and make up my own less asian looking asian? I think this whole race thing people have going on is annoying. Just to not hurt anyone's feelings and still be able to describe my characters I made up whole new races for my story.
    And I'm just throwing my opinion out there but eye description is important to me. The eyes are like the window to the soul and it's the first thing I notice about people. It's not easy to capture various eye descriptions in writing but if well done they mean a lot to me. :oops:

21. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

So - how would you describe a character as mentioned in the OP?

22. Just a cookiemunster

I'm on my lunch break randomly comming up with this off the top of my head but if it were my story and I wanted the character to look like the "stereo typed" east Asian I would write something like: He watched over her as she slept soundly through the storm. Wisps of sable black hair fluttered against porcelain skin. Her brown eyes then fluttered open revealing the delicate shape of a teardrop.
    That would be my first draft description I would have to refine it many times before I'm thoroughly pleased with it of course.

Btw I am south asian and many people including my husband has told me that I have almond shaped eyes. Cheshm badomi he calls them all the time in his native persian language. Almond eyes are a symbol of beauty in Iran and south asia and are called just that. I have never felt offended when someone said it and I didn't even know it could be considered offensive or tired and cliche in america.
    So if I write that into my story middle easterns and maybe some other races would would read it and visualise a beautiful girl while an American and maybe East Asians (I don't know) would get offended and call it a racist stereotype.
    Can't please everybody. It makes my head spin:ohno:

23. BlitzGirl

BlitzGirl Contributor Contributor

Eh, people are no more offended than they were 100 years ago, it's just that the internet/social media gives people a way to express their feelings, and makes even minorities' voices louder than they would have been in the past. So it just seems like people are "more offended", but that's not the case.

Anyway, my little nitpick.

But as for the OP's question, skin color, hair color/type, and bone structure would be your best tools to use in describing a character's physical appearance. In fact, hair type and color can just as easily give a reader a clue as to what a character's ethnicity is as trying to describe eyes and noses. But I sympathize with several people here, as I am also the type of person who loves to give my readers a clear image of what my characters look like. I am a very visual person when it comes to creating my stories.

24. Just a cookiemunster

You are probably right. It's the internet expression. I am glad I am not the only one liking clear visual charscter descriptions :Dbecause from what read on here many people prefer to be without them and I find it a bit strange but i know everyone is different.

BlitzGirl likes this.
  25. saxonslav

saxonslav Member

Describe it how you want, as long as you're not using racial slurs, it's not like you're purposefully being offensive.

And some writers are offensive and get by anyway.