How could you make looking at a door emotional and interesting?

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Tomb1302, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Tomb1302

Tomb1302 Member

Interesting. This was meant to be emotional, but maybe a little too physically so?

I think I'll try and tone it down a little :)

2. Carly Berg

Carly Berg Contributor Contributor

I haven't read the whole thread so fwiw I'd just add that you might want to move on to the next thing without trying to make looking at the door too fraught with meaning. It can easily come across as artificial melodrama, when whatever else the story holds, looking at a door is still just that. If it is in fact momentous, the readers should get that without having it overly explained to them.

Where I've seen this done has mainly been when an author wanted us to know how very, very significant it was when one character looked at another character. To me, it often just ends up sounding weird or even like tell-y lazy writing, as if they're trying to turn something so simple and basic into something of earth shattering significance that it could really never have- or if it does, we'll get it without having it spelled out to us too much.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  3. Oxymaroon

Oxymaroon Member

Time for something to happen.
    But it may also be time to take this away to a private place and work on the story.
    I suspect you're procrastinating.

4. Tomb1302

Tomb1302 Member

More than likely. I'll try and move quicker :)

5. Oxymaroon

Oxymaroon Member

It's not about speed. Work at your own pace; take all the time you need.
    You have a story in your head that desperately wants to come out. If it's not perfect the first time, write a second draft and a third; edit the hell out of it, then let other people have a go at it, one chapter at a time or all at once, or whatever works best for you.
    Just be brave and move on from the opening scene.

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The narrator is your reader's window. Your characters also serve as windows onto the scene. Blend physical description of the door with your narrator;s and your characters' reactions to the door.

Keep in mind that a showing approach works particularly well for conveying the complexity of emotions and reactions; see the Show and Tell blog link in my signature. Telling is usually a better approach for the physical characteristics of the door (dusty, faded, cracked, rust stains, etc).

Tomb1302 and jannert like this.
  7. Tomb1302

Tomb1302 Member

Thank you!