Tags:
  1. Christina58

Christina58 Member

How did you come up with your forum name?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Christina58, Mar 15, 2018.

How did everyone come up with their forum names? Some of the forum names are interesting and funny.

I just used a girls name that I like, because I am a female. The 58 is just a random number. I basically did not use any imagination and I want to write a novel. Imagine :pity:

2. 8Bit Bob

8Bit Bob Here ;) Contributor

I like 8bit video games and my name is Bob. Bam! 8Bit Bob :p

ETA: I like all types of video games, but "8Bit Bob" sounds cool :D

3. GlitterRain7

GlitterRain7 Galaxy Girl Contributor

The night I signed up, it was raining. I was sitting alone in my room, trying to think of a good username. I was listening to the rain outside, and I looked to my glitter lamp swirling and morphing from color to color. Then I added 7 at the end because 7 is my number.

4. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Because I live a lonely life, and keep my living area cool and dark. 'Nough said.

5. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

Izzy is my name and I'm a robot. Beep boop.

6. CoyoteKing

CoyoteKing Good Boi Contributor

Mine is a long story. I like to play Dungeons and Dragons in my freetime. "Coyote" was my favorite character. He's famous in my group.

He was a bard. The worst bard you've ever met. He couldn't cast spells; he could barely even play the harp. He was pretty much useless, so he just followed the other heroes around and sang songs about how great they were. He was incredibly charming, funny, and helpful, though. The party really liked him.

Anyway, halfway through the adventure, the rest of the heroes slowly realized that Coyote a spy. He'd been working for the bad guy the whole time. The problem was, they liked him. So instead of just killing him, the paladin, Kyra -- a holy warrior devoted to upholding justice -- challenged him to single combat. Coyote, mind you, was a musician, not a fighter. He was a wimp.

Here's the thing, though:

Coyote wasn't actually a bard.

Coyote had never been a bard.

Coyote was, in fact, an extremely competent assassin.

He murdered the paladin in single combat, stole several important artifacts, then teleported himself five hundred miles away. The party was so shocked they just sat there and watched.

It took them a while, but eventually they managed to find him again. He ended up getting captured by another bigger, badder villain that wanted him dead. I thought they'd just... you know... leave him to die. At this point, though, they were weirdly fond of him. They tracked him to the villain's lair, fought their way to the dungeons, and rescued him off a torturer's rack. He was so touched he rejoined the party. He was still a bit evil... but he helped the heroes save the kingdom anyway, just because, y'know, he lived in the kingdom, and he liked it there.

Anyway, long story short, I am no longer allowed to play bards.

7. TheRealStegblob

TheRealStegblob Kill All Mages Contributor

I am not the real stegblob but I want to fool people into thinking I might be.

8. PennyDreadfully

PennyDreadfully Member

Haha I love these explanations

I think mine is a little obvious, though. I like horror and didn't just want to put down Penny Dreadful, so I added a '-ly' to the end...

I think me and you are boarded the same creative train @Christina58

Shenanigator likes this.
  9. Dragon Turtle

Dragon Turtle Deadlier Jerry

Right before I created my account I'd been playing so much Mario Kart I made myself motion sick. I always play Morton. And, you know, Bowser and his whole family are basically dragon turtles. And dragon turtles are awesome!

You know, I don't think I've played Mario Kart again since that night...

10. orangefire

orangefire Active Member

Well, it started out when I was around 7 I used to "roleplay" with my dad. I use that term loosely because it was mostly me telling a story and his character being just kinda there, and occasionally doing stuff. (I probably wasn't the best role player back then.)

Anyways, the story mostly centered around this kid named Pawpaw, who was teleported to a planet of talking animals to act as their guardian, his semi-evil parallel universe self "Airwalker", and his group of clones which could blast fire of various different colors, named based on their abilities, so Bluefire, Redfire, Greenfire, etc. Orangefire was presumably one of them but never really did anything.

Now, a few years later, I started playing Dungeons and Dragons online, and I needed a character name. Most of the above names were taken, so I ended up going down the fire clone list until "Orangefire" wasn't taken.

After a while I got used to being known as Orangefire so I just started using that as my username everywhere.

11. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Homer Potvin is a long dead, distant relative of mine who is not Italian, so he stuck out like a sore thumb on various family trees and other documents among all the Giuseppes, Amadios, Contessas, Fabirizios, etc.... We tend to call these interlopers "mailmen," as in one our ancestors must have gotten knocked up by a mailman because there were no medigan (non-Italians) in the old neighborhoods except the postal workers. There was something else noteworthy about him too, though I'll be damned if I can remember what. He might have been a state senator or a scientist or something way back in the day. Anyway, when I got into writing as a teenager my mother said I should use it for a pen name because of the whole "Homer" thing. And I'm a Simpsons fan, so it seemed like a natural fit.

Honestly, I'm not even all that crazy about it, but I needed a name and it just popped into my dome.

12. Night Herald

Night Herald The Fool Contributor

Funny story.

I was a big Warhammer 40k nut back in the day. I was way into the lore, and wrote fanfiction. Painted miniatures, for a while. I invented at least half a dozen Space Marine chapters, and one of these were the Night Heralds. Chaos, of course - my take on the lost second legion.

Later, I used Night Herald for my gaming handle. I thought it sounded properly badass, don't you know. I was young.

And, well, the name followed me all the way here.

13. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Mine is my pen name. I'm an educator, so having my own name on horror stories might not be the best idea. Iain is an homage to my favorite writer, the late Iain M. Banks, and the story behind "Aschendale" is private, but at the time I came up with it, once you eliminated "Passchendale" from Google, there was only one returned search result, some sort of Gundam or Macross thingy. Only one result sounded like a good choice for a pen name, that means that any searches would lead directly to me. On a side note, my real name is one of those that's so distressingly common I'd need to get to Stephen King levels of fame before the right person would pop up on page one.

14. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

I borrowed it from the "Visitin' Kitteh" in some of my Progress Journal entries. (For those who don't know, the neighbor's cat comes over to my place to take a nap every afternoon. He meows at my door between 12:45-1:00PM, sleeps for an hour or so while I write, then goes back home.) He's hilarious and gets into clever mischief, and one day my sister told him he was "quite the shenanigator."

As writers, we put our characters through all sorts of shenanigans. That makes us "shenanigators".

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  15. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

Everyone has really interesting stories.

I created a profile on this forum, not thinking I would spend any real time here, right? So I defaulted to the username I would create on something like Walmart.com: my first name and the year I was born.

This has turned out to be a really unfortunate error. By the time I decided I would like to change my name here, it was too late. The mods don't like to change the names of established members to avoid confusion, which makes sense, and I never even asked if I could change mine. So, I'm stuck with possibly the worst forum name in the history of WF.org.

:(

Homer Potvin and Shenanigator like this.
  16. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

I actually have a cat called Shenanigans.

As for me, people used to call me the Blue Haired Hooligan, but I don't have blue hair anymore so I had to find something more descriptive.

17. Shenanigator

That's funny! They really are the true shenanigators. I've always liked your screen name, Dap. Very visual and descriptive.

And thanks to another thread some time ago, I cannot see @Cave Troll 's name without calling him "DJ Cave Troll" in my head. Troll, you will forever be "DJ Cave Troll" in my mind.

Cave Troll likes this.
  18. Cave Troll

Ok, so what is with the DJ part? Is it because I listen to a lot of music?

Shenanigator likes this.
  19. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

I think you posted a pic with a cat wearing headphones while it worked a turntable or something. No idea how I remember that. I really need a life.

20. Cave Troll

Cat mix master Meow.jpg

21. Shenanigator

@Cave Troll , I never knew how Homes decided you should DJ, but he said something about @minstrel and @The Dapper Hooligan looked like they were in animal band or something, with you DJing. Then I named your band The Squirrel Hooligans Featuring DJ Cave Troll or, as an alternate, Hooligan Squirrels Featuring DJ Cave Troll. So, you're stuck with it, buddy. :) You will always be DJ Cave Troll to me. :D It sounds cool as hell.

ETA: The club where you guys perform looks like the Bat Cave, BTW. ;-)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    flawed personality likes this.
  22. Methanogen

Methanogen Member

I appropriated it from another online community I'm part of, where I used it.

It refers to an organism that expels methane, I belief. I thought it'd be a nice signal for my interest in such things.

I didn't realise until later on that it would result in a rather unfortunate nickname. But I'm fine with that.

23. awkwarddragon

awkwarddragon Member

I wouldn't call myself socially inept, but I tend to be awkward when you first meet me; it takes a while for me to be comfortable in a social situation. It's frustrating, but I'm working on it. Second, I love dragons.

24. Mink

Mink Contributor Contributor

Mink is a character from DRAMAtical Murder (DMMD) and I'm a yaoi whore.

Mink, even with his wicked self, is also my favorite character from the game...he's the only one I truly ship Aoba with. I'll use Mink_Seragaki as a username, too.

CoyoteKing likes this.
  25. O.M. Hillside

O.M. Hillside Senior Member

So I figured my actual name isn't that marketable and a cool pen name would be nice. O.M. are my actual initials and there's something about a hillside which is abundantly beautiful to me.