1. Zepthier

Zepthier New Member

How do I actually publish a book.

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by Zepthier, Nov 3, 2011.

Where do I go to get my book publised?
    Who do I know is a reliable source to get my book published?
    How long is the process of publishing a book?
    And how much does it cost to publish a book?
    Also do I need to copy right my script before I do and how do I do that?
    And what happens if know one agree's to publish my book where do I go from there, do I keep on trying or is there no point?
    If I had a choice would it be better to sell them on the internet or in stores?
    If I do get paid for the book I publish how do I know im not getting ripped off?

Thankyou.

2. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

If you're talking about self publishing - there are books out on this subject.

3. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Are you talking about conventional publishing or self publishing? If you're not clear on the difference:

- With conventional publishing, you don't publish your book so much as submit it to publishers in the hope that they will want to buy and publish it. Or, more often, you submit it to agents in the hope that they will take it on and _they_ will submit it to publishers.

Conventional publishing costs you nothing at all - if a publisher accepts your book, they pay you a share of the revenue from the sales of the book, and then you pay a percentage of that to your agent. The publisher is responsible for the expenses of editing, printing, marketing, and so on. In conventional publishing, money flows to the writer, never away from the writer.

The vast, vast majority of the books that you see in bookstores are conventionally published.

- With self publishing, you are responsible for all aspects of the publishing process, and all of the costs. You have to be, or pay, your own editor, typesetter, designer, printer, marketer - you have to do many jobs at your own expense.

Few to none of the books in bookstores are self published. It's highly unlikely that you'll persuade many bookstores to put your book on the shelves - in fact, I think it's unlikely that you'll persuade any of them. Amazon does offer self-published books, but they are, again, at your expense, and Amazon isn't going to make any effort to market your book. Most self published books sell fewer than two hundred copies.

It's my opinion that self publishing is generally not a good idea. People will argue and present the small number of self-published successes, but that number remains small.

For the details, there are plenty of books about both types of publishing.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

ditto all that cf had to say above...

plus, there are lots of threads on this site that deal with all of those aspects of publishing... i suggest you do some browsing here before going further afield, or asking more questions that have been answered over and over again in other threads...