Tags:
  1. Rosie Anna Lloyd

Rosie Anna Lloyd New Member

I have no idea...

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by Rosie Anna Lloyd, Oct 13, 2020.

So I have no idea what I'm doing.
    I have rough drafts for a couple of children's book ideas, it's all on paper with my own drawn illustrations.
    I have never done anything like this before, but I am confident in my ideas.
    I have researched publishers but quite frankly have no idea how to go for one, how to choose. Some say to submit manuscripts (but mine are not done on the computer) others offer "packages" that I pay for?
    I'm just looking for tips and advice on how to start out and get the ball rolling...
    Thanks in advance.
    Rosie.

2. r.ross

r.ross Member

Hi Rosie,
    Are you a writer and illustrator? Are you primarily working on children's picture books?

3. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Vanity publishers are not real publishers - these are the ones who ask you to pay for your own publishing. Real publishers get their profit from SALES - by selling your book. The author should not have to pay anything. Why would a publisher try to sell your book if they've already been paid by the author? You'll probably find a variety of services - simple book printing and editing services that understandably will want to be paid, or ones that claim to be "publishers" when all they do is print the book for you. Avoid vanity publishers at all costs - these are generally known as "sharks".

I think in this day and age, you'll need to type up your manuscript. A lot of publishers will have their own in-house illustrators, so be aware they may not want your pictures even if they want your story. Look up agents who accept submissions for children's books - what you want is a literary agent who will know who to submit your book to and who will advocate for you in the industry, because the agent is paid on commission only and will know the ropes of the industry. Esp as you seem completely clueless, I'd definitely go for an agent or you risk getting horribly scammed.

Still another way is self-publishing - that means uploading your book onto a platform and selling it yourself. As a children's book though, I'd say going for print makes more sense. And either way would require you to type it up.

I don't think it's realistic to expect to be able to get published with a paper manuscript these days. It's a children's book, it can't be that long. Type it up.

r.ross and Rosie Anna Lloyd like this.
  4. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

you can self publish print - however children's is one of the hardest markets to break into ... wither way you'd need to type up your manuscript and work with a professional illustrator (either assigned by the publisher or hired if self publishing)

do not under any circumstances go with a package you have to pay for

r.ross and Rosie Anna Lloyd like this.
  5. Rosie Anna Lloyd

Great feed back thanks. It really isn't that long so I will type it up. I am definitely clueless, so thankyou for your informative reply. It's helped a lot.

Mckk likes this.
  6. Rosie Anna Lloyd

7. Rosie Anna Lloyd

This is great to know thankyou. I will stay clear of anyone offering packages.

8. Rosie Anna Lloyd

Gosh I'm not really anything at the moment, but I am interested in creating children's books, especially ones I already have written up for my daughter, she loves them, so thought maybe other kids would too...

9. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Rosie Anna Lloyd likes this.
  10. Rosie Anna Lloyd

11. Rosie Anna Lloyd

Great thankyou.

12. r.ross

r.ross Member

I agree with what the others have said, avoid vanity publishers (cue the cliche) like the plague!

My advice at this stage would be to experiment with your writing/work. See what works best for you, what you're most comfortable with. Find your niche, if that makes sense :)

Starting out in writing is a great time to experiment with genre and age range.