1. XRD_author

XRD_author Banned

Recommendation for non-Amazon short-run book printing

Discussion in 'Print on Demand' started by XRD_author, Mar 1, 2019.

I'd like to print 30 paperback copies of my 180K word book (about 500 pages) for distribution to friends for feedback (though I don't expect beta-reader level feedback). Not looking for any other services, not yet.

I'm located in the US and would prefer not to use Amazon. There's Ingram/Lighting Source , BookBaby, 48 Hour books and others. The reviews I've seen haven't led me to favor any one of them yet.

Anyone have any good or bad experiences with non-Amazon short-run book printers they'd like to share, to help me decide who to use?

2. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

The best pricing you're probably going to find is through a local printer. I used to work for a small publisher and was part of shopping around for the best deal. I can give you the name of the place I used, but picking up the books ourselves saved the shipping cost. They will give you samples so you can choose the size, page color and things like that. But you do have to do all the formatting yourself. I also know some bookstores have something they are calling the Gutenberg that can print the books and bind them right there. It's actually pretty cool. Be careful because there are a lot of places and services that use this name. You want the machine. The printer my company used had a minimum of $300. I think our cost was between $2 and $3 per book. The Gutenberg machine cost about $4 or $5 a copy (I think. It's been awhile), but there was no minimum. Another option is to go to a place like Staples. They have a few option when it comes to binding. I went there (many years ago) to do something similar to what you're doing. For that, I went with the cheapest option because it was just for friends and stuff to read and not a final draft.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    J.D. Ray and XRD_author like this.
  3. XRD_author

XRD_author Banned

Thanks. Staples and FedEx (formerly Kinkos) doesn't seem to do perfect binding, the standard paperback binding. AlphaGraphics does but there's not much about it on their website.

$300 as a minimum is not a problem.

deadrats likes this.
  4. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

I can message you the place the publishing company I used to work for uses if you want. They were really great to work with. And the fact that they mail you samples really helps you get the presentation you want. The only thing is that you have to do all the layout and fomenting yourself. I worked for a company at the time so we had layout people who took care of all that. I think it's worth reaching out to them and getting some quotes. It's been several years since I had any work with them, but I do know at the time they had the best rates and the final product was always great. Still, you might get a better deal if you can avoid the shipping. Again, this will only work if you or have someone who can do all the layout and formatting. It's not something I could have done on my own. The place I am recommending is only a printer. But I think you would be really happy with the look and feel of how your book comes out. It's super professional. We used them for books that were sold in bookstores and housed in libraries. I believe my old publishing company has used them for about 20 or so years.

XRD_author likes this.
  5. XRD_author

XRD_author Banned

Please do, thanks.