1. Scwib

Scwib New Member

Question [Solved] How do I delete my account?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Scwib, Nov 29, 2016.

I can't find any way to delete this account. I don't think I ever used it and I don't plan on ever using it. I'd like to get rid of it if possible.

2. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

I'm sorry, but we never delete accounts. Here's the relevant section from the Forum Rules:

3. Scwib

Scwib New Member

Can it be deactivated?

4. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

I don't think there is any other way of deactivating an account other than a complete ban. I'll tag @Wreybies so he sees this conversation, since he should know more about this than I do (since he has access to the backend).

Scwib likes this.
  5. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Does it matter? If you just stop using the account it'll be the same thing, practically speaking.

6. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I can ban the account, as @Komposten mentions, but this doesn't do anything other than deny you access to it. Our forum is relatively fast paced for a forum of this size. Posts quickly roll back to the oblivion of Page 2. But again, I can ban it. This conversation here would serve as the "paper trail" as to why said action was taken.

7. Scwib

Scwib New Member

Well this is disappointing but I guess I don't care if there's nothing I can do about it.

8. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

The information here is a bit out of date - following a rules update to comply with the GDPR they say this

"Accounts will be deleted on request with all personally identifying account information (name, date of birth, email etc) removed. Posts will not be deleted but will instead be assigned a random user name."

Anyone requiring an account deletion should contact me by pm... after that you get 48 hours grace to change your mind before it is actioned... a point of note is that once you've done its forever you can't come back with a different user name

9. Dave Cabbage

Dave Cabbage Banned

so then what about hackers who can enter the website and get personal identifying information such as our mac addresses and location. i feel like there's a privacy lawsuit just waiting to happen! i myself am trying to delete my account.

10. Dave Cabbage

Dave Cabbage Banned

so you're basically controlling whether people can freely choose what they can do with their own private information? they have put in a request with you? like it's your decision if their personal information is just out there online or not? since it's up to you, then you could deny someone's request and retain their information?

11. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

No that's not what i said or what the rules say and you know it

Under the GDPR people (who live in Europe or the UK but we voluntarily apply the policy even if they don't) have a right to erasure of personal information on request, it has to be requested because site admins aren't psychic, we couldn't deny the request without violating the GDPR (assuming the member is in a territory where the GDPR applies)

If you want your account deleted i'll consider this to be the request... i'll delete it in 48 hours or so per policy (the site doesnt retain IP or Mac Addresses etc for inactive members btw).

ETA - he got banned for sending me an abusive pm, not for requesting deletion. I will still delete his account per policy since it was requested

ETA - user name changed and personal id information deleted

Last edited: Sep 19, 2023
    Naomasa298 and PiP like this.