1. halen99

halen99 New Member

Help with 4 charactor's

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by halen99, Feb 22, 2011.

I'm writing a more so dark story and I'm new to this so I'm putting together an outline and trying to define these people before I start. But I'm stuck :(

I need 4 characters. Each of them are serial killers and their model profile for suspects will match one of the other 3's. So.. I would have 4 people all of which fit the profile of another person. Am I making sense and can you please help me get the ball rolling?

2. Ellipse

Ellipse Contributor Contributor

Why don't you try googling serial killers first? They are plenty to choose from to use and adapt to what you need.

3. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

I know a lot about the psychology of different types of sex offenders - if that type of info is at all relevant, shoot me a PM.

Do you mean that Killer A fits the cops' suspect profile of Killer B, and killer B fits the profile of Killer C, and killer C --> Killer D, and killer D --> Killer A? Like a circular pattern of fitting the suspect profiles designed by the cops/investigators?

If this is wrong, please elaborate more. :)

4. halen99

halen99 New Member

I don't think I was thinking sex offenders, more so just murdering. I suppose that could be mixed in too but I didn't want to go in that direction.

Let me explain this way. If you put all 4 in a room, they would kill each other because they each match each others profile. Does that make sense? It does in my head and I'm having a hard time make it sense on paper. :)

5. Mallory

Oh! You mean like character A has a certain type of victim that he likes to go after, and B, C and D all fit that description? Except it's that way with all of them? I think I get it now. :)

Okay, so what kind of help do you need exactly?

6. halen99

halen99 New Member

You got it! Well I'm stuck in outlining and creating these people. So I need age, characteristics, that type of thing. I did some googling but it's hard because this type of story isn't normally what I write.

7. Mallory

To be honest, that's a bit too general. Killers can be any age, can have any motivation and can come from any background. This is stuff only you as the writer can do.

Now, if you've got a plot hole or need to know how to make something believable or need help getting from point A to B or need help finding a specific piece of info, that's where we can come in - but we can't create an entire character for you.

8. halen99

halen99 New Member

ok,sorry. just a bit stuck I will go away from it for awhile and try coming back.

9. Mallory

I mean, I'd like to help you, but I need a specific objective that's narrower than just helping create a character. :) Any specific aspect of brainstorming I can help with?

10. halen99

halen99 New Member

perhaps, let me sleep on this and write back tomorrow :) thank you.

11. ENJOY

ENJOY Member

IDEAS=
    One is a murderer because of childhood experiences
    Purely twisted enjoys it
    Does because makes him feel like god
    because hes forced to

12. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

So you need to decide what the murders they are doing will be ? Then you can start to build the profiles.

13. halen99

halen99 New Member

thanks all. the thing that is making me lock up is this.

each person likes to kill a specific type of person but they they also fit the profile of another person they likes to kill people like them. this way in theory if they are all together one day by the end of the night they would try to knock each other out.

14. Leonardo Pisano

Leonardo Pisano Active Member

Char A - A blond guy in his end 20s. Kills women of certain age, as he hated his mother. All women are whores (theme). Each kill revenges his bad childhood.
    Char B - Woman 50, wants to exercise power over other people. No specific victims profile, expect that the victims are regular, normal people that are happy/satified in their life.
    Char C - Happy woman, with a dark side where she gets instructions from above ("God") to kill homosexuals
    Char D - A male that has to come out yet. Kills blond boys, age 20-30.

Something like that? This was fun. Need more ideas?

15. halen99

halen99 New Member

Hello! I like all that but am not seeing how each person is a target for the other like

A is target for B
    B is target for D
    C is target for A
    D is target for C

type of thing.. thank you so much!

16. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Char A - A blond guy in his end 20s. Kills women of certain age, as he hated his mother. All women are whores (theme). Each kill revenges his bad childhood. A is a target for D

Char B - Woman 50, wants to exercise power over other people. No specific victims profile, expect that the victims are regular, normal people that are happy/satified in their life. B is a target for A.

Char C - Happy woman, with a dark side where she gets instructions from above ("God") to kill homosexuals C can be targeted by A or B

Char D - A male that has to come out yet. Kills blond boys, age 20-30. Can be targeted by C

17. Leonardo Pisano

Well done Elg. I implied C targeted by B. His mother must be younger than 50, presumably, when A was say 5-10 years old.... But I didnt mean to make it too strict; after all, this is halen's thing.

Halen, you may like to use mindmapping to visualise the relationships. FreeMind and XMind are free tools, for instance (the first is usually praised, but i like the second better).

18. halen99

halen99 New Member

sorry I didn't put it together, let me think about this, thank you!!!

19. halen99

halen99 New Member

Recap - Let me know of any additional ideas please :) thanks!

The Call Girl Killer
    A – Blonde young adult Male
    Kills women of certain age, as he hated his mother. All women are whores (theme). Each kill revenges his bad childhood.
    Target for D

The Happy Go Lucky Gunman
    B - Woman 50
    Wants to exercise power over other people. No specific victims profile, expect that the victims are regular, normal people that are happy in their life.
    Target for A

The Gay Slayer
    C - Happy Woman
    Has a dark side where she gets instructions from above ("God") to kill homosexuals.
    Target for B

The Blonde Butcher
    D - Male that has to come out yet
    Kills blonde boys, age 20-30.
    Target for C

20. Leonardo Pisano

Yes, that's what I suggested. Frankly, I meant it as a prompt for your own creativity. They shouldn't be MY characters; after all it's YOUR story.... You could also complicate matters, by giving your characters two fitting targets.... Or one that converts to a good person.... or anything your imagination allows you...

21. halen99

halen99 New Member

Yes.. I will tweak these to my own and maybe even change some completely. The math is there now, and I can be more creative. Thank you!