1. chandler245

chandler245 Banned

How to explain a demon who is good and bad

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by chandler245, Apr 4, 2009.

I have a character that is a demon evil to the core yet something has happened to him that it making him want to be good, yet how can a demon have any good to them there the evil of the world, andy ideas?:confused:

2. Saigo

Saigo New Member

Hmm... You could always exploit his geneology, and by that I mean maybe make a parent or a grandparent a human, or possibly an angel, to give the demon some sense of morality.

3. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

Read "Good Omens" by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett... What makes demons evil to the core? In christian mythology the original demons were fallen angels so you could appeal to that.
    what?

4. Castlesofsand

Castlesofsand Banned

i think that was 'their' the evil to the world, Acglaphotis, i think.

As Acglaphotis mentioned, according to myths, demons were fallen angels. so just have one want to become one again maybe. its your story, you have the freedom to do as you please with that beast

good writing to you

5. Lavarian

Lavarian Contributor Contributor

I can think of a few ways for the transitional phase of going from bad to good, but since your questions is "How can a demon have any good in them?" the answer is, quite simply, "I don't know. You tell us."

After all, this is your world, it doesn't have to follow any known mythological canon.

If a Demon is "evil to the core" how could he/she even want to be good?

Observing hypoctrical behavior of someone that one looks up to for their values is always a good way to cause a character to want to change. Or to want to not be like that individual.

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Consider the Angel and Spike characters from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. They both underwent similar conversions and struggles, but with very different reasons.

7. chandler245

chandler245 Banned

what about a demon wanting to become human and good by falling in love with a women not just any women but a pure one?

8. Lavarian

Sure, if that's what you want. What's the question?

9. chandler245

chandler245 Banned

The question is this who do you make a demon evil to its core want to be good and eventually want to become mortal? I know its my book and I am the one who makes it happen but still advice would help

10. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

If he is evil to the core, then he will have a very difficult time. It will be easy enough to go through the motions, but he won't really understand the mindset of good, and the woman will not easily accept his ssupposed conversion.

Convincing her, and the reader, will be no easy task.

11. Lavarian

I think you answered your own question above.

A woman would be perfect, albeit cliche in my opinion. A little of that every now and then never hurt anyone, though.

12. chandler245

chandler245 Banned

That was least then helpful. and what do you mean by albeit cliche?

13. chandler245

chandler245 Banned

so you think that my idea is use as a statment to amke it difficult and that it is over used right?

14. Lavarian

Well the general idea is overused yes, but it's up to you to make it unique. I think it's definitely possible to do so.

It's going to take some work, of course.

15. Piestein

Piestein Active Member

Potential spoilers below about LFG comics.

Scan through LFG comics. Online comic, free and easily accessible. The guy is a warlock, kills entire villages, yet he is an MC I completely love. I doubt he wants to become mortal, but... you'll see why he fits your needs. Yes, it is a comic, but it gives a good idea about the logic of a certain character. Also, it just got over 200 pages (200 pages of comic is easy to go through and the part which you need is ~150). Just google LFG comic, if you're interested.

Yes, it is a comic and not a book. But yes, it gives some original thoughts, not involved in any way with a woman (Which, to eb honest, is something very Twilight-ish atm in its own way).

16. Lavarian

I'm not sure she's going for comedic value which, essentially, is Richard's role in the LFG comic.

Richard is hilarious, though.

17. Piestein

Piestein Active Member

Again, spoilers might be found below.

It's not simply comedic value, though. THe idea which she's going for is hinted in there, if you've reached that part. page 151 of LFGcomic - from that page on, like 5-6 pages(to be precise, until page 158, when is the precise moment I was speaking about. Although, if you look only at that page, you might not get the full picture.) is what I was talking about. YEah, sure, there is the occasional laugh here and there, but mostly, this is huge background about the big all-powerful evil warlock who had not yet killed his do-gooder party.

18. chandler245

chandler245 Banned

I will read into that thank you any help at this point I need please PM me if you have anyother ideas or thoughts