Tags:
  1. ZoomerWriter

ZoomerWriter Banned

How do I flesh out my premise more?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by ZoomerWriter, May 29, 2019.

So I got this idea for a novel which is an adventure comedy (And maybe it's also a action thriller but I'm not sure yet) meant to parody the video game trope (Though the story itself doesn't actually have anything to do with video games) where the protagonist is given a very simple and short-term task or quest or something but when they are about to do it, they find themselves caught up in something way bigger than they expected or wanted.

Some games where this trope happens is the Fallout series and Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. A non gaming example of this trope is the webcomic Homestuck.

The premise of my story is that my MC is a just a completely normal guy who lives a mundane life who one day goes to the supermarket to buy some stuff for his mom/lover (I haven't decided yet.) but then finds himself wrapped up in a adventure he would never have seen coming because he went there.

However, that's all I have for now. I don't know what exactly the whole adventure is or what the "trigger" is specifically.

The story's premising needs some fleshing out so I was wondering if someone here could give me some advice. Thanks.

2. Maverick_nc

Maverick_nc Contributor Contributor

I'd need to give more thought on how to fully flesh this out and introduce an antagonist/s, but as a starting point:
    In video games, the MC is usually unable to complete his initial quest. So, the item he needs isn't available at the store but he's told its available (given another quest) at the megastore, which is all the way across town. He loves his gf/mom so of course he decides to embark on this dangerous journey, getting into all manner of bother and picking up further secondary quests along the way.

If you want to go full parody you could enjoy making fun of famous video games along the way ('an arrow to the knee' Skyrim, Lara Croft's hot-pants etc etc) but it doesn't sound like that's the direction you want to take.

3. ZoomerWriter

ZoomerWriter Banned

Sounds good! Thanks!

4. GrJs

GrJs Active Member

Premise isn't your issue. You need plot. You need your trigger. Maybe one of the shop owners is running an under ground thing or is caught up in stuff and is seen selling illegal stuff to your mc. Then is attacked and associated with your criminal by proximity. Maybe your MC bares an uncanny resemblance to a dangerous criminal famous only at the top level or everything and is spotted by a high level bounty hunter and captured and now they have to escape or convict said hunter of their innocence.

Your premise is solid. Find your trigger event.

ZoomerWriter likes this.
  5. ZoomerWriter

ZoomerWriter Banned

I agree with this completely. "Trigger" is a much better word to describe what I'm looking for.