How do i get started again?

Discussion in 'Insights & Inspiration' started by Darkthought, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Michail Bulgakov

Michail Bulgakov New Member

I find that the most difficult thing for me concerning writing is not not having ideas or finding the right words, but overcoming my shame. I am often paralyzed with anguish when I sit down to write. I have nothing to say, how could I - I'm just a nobody. And what if somebody read what I've written? I'd feel exposed and vulnerable and that's something I don't want.
    I wrote some academic papers a few years ago, and I remember it was difficult for me to read them and in fact, to even be in the same room. I'd just take a quick peek and then I had to leave the room to get some air. And the same goes for the creative writing as well, but now it's not constant.
    This, I think, is due to the impossibly high standards I'm in vain trying to live up to, and the depressions that follow from the inevitable failure. My medicine for this condition is to write something, anything, without censoring, with no critical judgement whatsoever. You just sit down and decide to write whatever comes to mind, and if nothing comes to mind, then write that: "Nothing comes to mind". See, one sentence already. And theres always something there that you can describe. The room you are in, the weather outside, your clothes, your cat. Just concentrate on the feel, color, texture, taste of things and write that down. And don't crit your writing afterwards! Congratulate yourself if you managed to write one whole sentence. Give yourself a prize, tell everyone what incredible progress you're making and how worthy of praise you are!
    Your case may be totally different from mine, but I sincerely hope that you can start writing again, with whatever method suits you.

2. MichaelP

MichaelP Banned

Skilled writing is rewriting.

3. MichaelP

MichaelP Banned

"There are better writers than me out there, there are smarter writers, there are people who can plot better - there are all those kinds of things, but there’s nobody who can write a Neil Gaiman story like I can.”
    -- Neil Gaiman

(I meant to edit this into my previous post.)

Michail Bulgakov and Sack-a-Doo! like this.
  4. Sack-a-Doo!

Sack-a-Doo! Contributing Member Contributor

You still there, Darkthought? Making progress?

Speak to us, DT. Is any of this helping?

5. BayView

BayView Contributing Member Contributor

I've never really stopped writing, but I didn't start writing until fairly late, so maybe I just haven't hit that stage yet.

But when I first started writing, the words definitely gushed out more easily than they do now. That said, when I go back and read that work, it feels a bit gush-y. A little restraint might not have been a bad thing!

One thing I'd suggest is to figure out why you want to write, and try to give yourself some immediate rewards in the relevant direction. Do you want to write for self-expression? Think of a really, really important scene from your life and work on that. Want to communicate with others and be part of a community? Try some fanfiction where you get an immediate payoff and response. Want money? That one's trickier, but maybe you could pay yourself, like deny yourself a treat until you "earn" the money for it by producing something?

I don't know - but I'd start by figuring out why writing is important, and take it from there.