1. LordWarGod

LordWarGod Banned

How do I get started in pitching my universe to the RPG community?

Discussion in 'Role Play Discussion' started by LordWarGod, Oct 3, 2018.

Hello, I've got an interesting well thought out universe that I'd like to share with the RPG community but I have absolutely no idea where or how to get started. Could somebody explain to me how this whole thing works and what I need to do, please?

Anything you decide to post will be appreciated.

2. LastMindToSanity

LastMindToSanity Contributor Contributor

Anything I decide to post?

Well, just tape that sucker to a baseball and pitch it!

Seriously, though, I'm pretty sure you're talking about tabletop RPGs, so I'll be responding to that. I'd start by running a couple of campaigns, each campaign with a different group that have different play-styles than the last ones, just to see how well the universe works with PCs that play it differently. Next, I would try talking to some smaller members of the RPG community that still have somewhat of a voice, and work your way up to the bigger ones. Build your universe's reputation among the smaller voices, and, eventually, it will reach the larger ones.

Most communities will, on some level, be resistant to change, there's no escaping this. Something you can do to help circumvent this rather disappointing fact of life is to take it slowly, but don't slow down. Slowing down can be a slippery slope to just stopping. So never slow down unless it's absolutely necessary. However, you should NOT immediately go for a large voice and pitch it. If they turn it down, that can be massively discouraging and might cause you to stop entirely. Start small, work your way up. And, yes, I realize that they way I'm saying it, this approach will probably take a couple of years, but patience is key here. You can't introduce a whole new thing to a community overnight, it takes time.

This approach works with a lot of things, not just tabletop. Get your universe in the good-books of the smaller voices, and the larger ones will eventually hear it.

Hope it goes well for you!

3. obi-sem kenobi

obi-sem kenobi Senior Member

However, if you mean you have a good idea for posting a roleplay on this forum, it's really quite simpel.

First you could pitch your idea in the roleplay kickstarter. It's not manditory or anything but it'll give you an idea of the people that would be interested. We're a pretty small group on this forum currently, but it's been a while since the last big roleplay hit, so I think you'll find enough people to get something started.

The you can create a thread in the roleplay section and a discussion thread in the discussion section and wait for @Kingtype to say Approved!!!
    Then you're ready to go.

If you want an idea of how roleplays usually go, it might be fun to check out a few of the older ones and see what happened.

Erik-the-Enchanter! likes this.
  4. Kingtype

Kingtype Banned Contributor

That's pretty much it. I'm here to say approved whenever!

5. Erik-the-Enchanter!

Erik-the-Enchanter! Banned Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Love Poems
    Is anyone regularly visiting here? I was also thinking about starting a roleplay.

obi-sem kenobi likes this.
  6. Macaberz

Macaberz Pay it forward Contributor

Not regularly, but I do check in sometimes for nostalgia reasons and have a browse around.

7. Erik-the-Enchanter!

Erik-the-Enchanter! Banned Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Love Poems
    @Macaberz DUDE, join my new RP, lol! I'm stil editting some details but I think you'd be interested. ;)

8. mmarage

mmarage The Detective Contributor

I've been busy with university, but I have been craving some RP. I've tried other sites, but... so many and already in the middle of RPs that it would feel weird trying to join.