Tags:
  1. itsGarbagegurll

itsGarbagegurll New Member

A list of talents

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by itsGarbagegurll, May 28, 2021.

Can you give a me a list of talents for my charecters like ice-skating and painting etc.
    Something that can have a deeper connection with the character that is her escape from the bleeding wound inside.

Last edited: May 28, 2021
  2. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

Any talent that you have in your story needs to be relevant. As I don't know your story or your character, I can't really suggest specific talents.
    You say the character is female and has a "wound inside", but what caused the trauma? What kind of life does she lead? Is this modern day? Fantasy? Does she have family or friends to help her? For example, the only people who ice-skate in my city are pretty well off, it's a very expensive hobby and there's only one ice rink. Art and performing arts aren't easily available in many schools these days because of the current obsession with STEM subjects, so again that often needs financial support and encouragement from family.
    If the person lives in a country area maybe she can swim, dive or go riding fairly easily. If it's an urban setting she could cycle or skateboard perhaps.

3. Cdn Writer

Cdn Writer Contributor Contributor

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America
    Currently Reading::
    TRYING (!!!) to read Eric Flint's "Ring of Fire" series.......it's soooo many books!!!!!
    I live in Canada. Skating is apparently something that *ALL* of us know how to do...

NO. I don't know how to skate and neither does anyone else in my immediate family.

I'm also not aware of any of northern indigenous peoples who skated in the past, at least not until the sport was brought to them. They did use dog sleds, build igloos, etc.

If you want a list of talents/attributes/skills that your characters could have, you should google role playing games like "Dungeons + Dragons" and look at character development. They make it really easy to create templates that you can then build on.

But as someone else said, the talents your character has depend on what she/he needs. I'm sure most people cook, but just because someone can make scrambled eggs with toast and bacon does not mean they can open a 5 star restaurant.

4. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Hi! While we encourage discussion, feedback and helping with ideas, these posts are simply lazy. Please stop asking others to do your most basic work for you.

Next time I suggest you give it some thought first, come up with your own ideas and ask for feedback / suggestions on those. Some more detail on your story and characters would be useful and respectful, too.

Any more of these blatant 'do the work for me' threads will be locked and receive a warning.

Xoic, Teladan and madhoca like this.
  5. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Aw, and I was going to suggest that she carves little wooden gnomes with a Swiss army knife, occasionally inflicting wounds on her fingers that reflect the bleeding wound on her insides.

Xoic and Teladan like this.
  6. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Dead gnomes in mouse traps? And she breaks into houses in the middle of the night to leave them in people's kitchens?

7. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

In mousetraps? I'm missing something here, perhaps an esoteric reference to a book or movie I missed? (And thank goodness, I think, for that.)

8. Joe_Hall

Joe_Hall I drink Scotch and I write things

Sounds like the plot for a fantasy organized crime novel...an assassin for an organized crime family that leaves dead gnomes in mousetraps in people's kitchen as a warning...perhaps struggling with the thrill pulling off the warnings and assassinations gives her against the immorality of killing innocent people her organization sends her to murder.

But now I think I am way off topic from the OP...

9. hyacinthe

hyacinthe Banned

i have a resource, hold on...

The Talent and Skills Thesaurus by Angela Ackerman and Becca Puglisi. it's a section on the website One Stop For Writers, but there is a partial list of some of the entries here: https://writershelpingwriters.net/talent-skills-thesaurus-entries/

Since we're in the Fantasy forum, I will also suggest http://medieval.stormthecastle.com/medieval-jobs.htm and http://mrssanchezsgtclass.weebly.com/medieval-occupations.html and https://thestoryreadingapeblog.com/2015/08/19/100-jobs-for-fantasy-characters-infographic/

good luck!

10. Teladan

Teladan Contributor Contributor

Late to the party on this one, but I find this request extremely curious. As a writer you should relish figuring out these things for yourself. The hobbies and talents should be integrated with a character and mean something. They're not just throwaway traits. This is a bit like a musician asking other musicians to give him/her specific notes or melodies to play/to help in composition. To be honest, I'm now interested in your thought process for creating this thread.

11. hyacinthe

hyacinthe Banned

oh i understood it as "I'm having problems coming up with ideas out of thin air, i need a starting point, help"

12. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

Would you like us to write your book too?

Xoic likes this.