1. Dorian Black

Dorian Black New Member

How do I post in the Writers' Workshop forum????

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Dorian Black, Dec 29, 2018.

This is extremely important and I need to know how I can get to post on the Writers' Workshop forum! I'm DESPERATELY looking for collaborators and beta readers to help with several VERY, VERY IMPORTANT projects! I NEED HELP!!!!

2. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

From the New Members Quick Start Guide

3. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

Read the Forum Rules.

KaTrian and Mckk like this.
  4. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

if your projects are critical to the security of our fair nation and the end times will be upon us (where the angels will descend from above WRITING IN ALL CAPS ), you can purchase supporter membership to bypass the two week wait... you still have to give two critiques for every request though.

Its also of note that the workshop is not the place to look for collaborators and beta readers - that would be the collaboration forum which has a longer waiting period

5. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I am trying very hard not to growl.

Once again, a new member posted on a thread, asking why they can't post their short story on the forum. They just joined yesterday.

I decided to direct them to the New Members' Guide, clicked on "Information" in the menu bar ...and hey ho ...the New Members' Guide isn't there. And I KNOW it's there. Somewhere.

So I farted around looking for it. And guess what. It appears, along with Rules, etc, if you hover your cursor over "Information" BUT DON'T CLICK IT!!!! Now isn't it your first impulse to click on something labeled Information, when you're looking for information? Not just hover over the word for a while? Aaargh....

Seriously. This is making it VERY hard for people to find important information. We need a section on the menu bar itself, saying NEW MEMBERS. Okay so some people would ignore it (yadda yadda yadda....) But people who actually want information would know where to find it!!!

6. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    You know my quibbles, but I've come around to your way of thinking. Not sure about the menu bar, but how about if the top section of the main forum started with "The Rules" followed by "Introduce Yourself" or some such. Yup, nobody needs it past the first week, but I'm sure our little scrolling fingers would get used to moving farther down. Also, I don't know (on my desktop right now) about that hovering thing in a touchscreen environment, but generally it works badly, and more people are on their phones/tablets these days with no ability to hover.

jannert likes this.
  7. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

its also a sticky in the new member introduction area and they get it as a pm from wreybies when they join

To be honest when people do that shiz its either because they can't be arsed to read the stuff they are sent, or they think it doesn't/shouldnt apply to them

8. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

@jannert I definitely agree with adding a New Member-section to the FAQ (which is where the Information button takes you). Adding a drop-down menu dedicated to new members (with links to the NMQS, the rules, introductions, etc.) might be something we want to do as well.

Adding these more direct routes to find the information will not only aid the few(?) new members who bother to look for it, but also more seasoned members (like jannert) who only wants to point people in the right direction.

ETA: I went over to the FAQ and added a basic New Member-section there. If there is anything else you feel we should add to it, just let me know.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    jannert likes this.
  9. Cephus

Cephus Contributor Contributor

Trust me, it's not just here, people are just entitlement-happy these days and figure they can do whatever they want, whatever makes them feel good, and the world has to cater to their wishes and dreams.

And it ain't the way it works.

10. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

I don't think that's a these days phenomenon. Back in the day, though, it was called Manifest Destiny, so I see why it can be confusing.

Back to subject, though, I don't think it can hurt to have these sections a bit more up front and center, just to help eliminate some excuses and make it a bit easier for others that may legitimately be having trouble finding them.

BayView likes this.
  11. Cephus

Cephus Contributor Contributor

I've been a moderator in plenty of forums in my life and I've got a lot of sympathy for what they have to go through, especially since a lot of people, at least in my experience, come to forums, not to be part of a community, but because they want something out of it without wanting to contribute anything to it. Honestly, I do think it is worse today than it has been in the past, after all, I've been doing this for decades now so I have a lot of experience. It's always existed to some degree, it's just worse now.

That said though, yes, I'm sure that anything can be improved so I'm not at all adverse to cleaning up and organizing the rules or whatever it takes. I don't know that it's going to help with some of these entitled snowflakes though because they don't care about the rules, they only care what's in it for them.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  12. big soft moose

I'd be inclined to put new members intro at the top of the board rather than buried down the bottom - Daniel is planning to look at all this stuff when we move to XF2 I think .

13. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Actually, I regard those as menus, so I would hover. I pretty much never click on them.

That doesn't mean it wouldn't be nice for the page that you get to by clicking to be organized similar to the hover menu, but it never occurred to me to click.

14. jannert

Excellent. It's now the first thing that pops up when I click on Information. Fantastic. Okay, it's just a link, but at least the link is there. That should help a lot.

15. jannert

Well, I regard them as tabs, and I do click on them. I have to click on the menu items in Firefox, to get anything to appear ...File, Edit, View, History, etc. I could hover till the cows come home and nothing would appear. I just tried, to make sure. Nada, unless I click.

And the thing is, when I click on the tabs on our forum Community site, lots of stuff does come up! It's just that clicking on Information didn't bring up anything having to do with New Members. It does now, thanks to Komposten.