1. Bearycool

Bearycool New Member

How Do I Start Publishing

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by Bearycool, Oct 24, 2010.

This is for future references. I have no idea on the publishing system of a book or poem works. What the steps that you have to take to start publishing a piece of writing? How can I get information on publishers in my area?

2. HeinleinFan

HeinleinFan Banned

Um, broad questions much? Google is your friend.

I got 800 words into a reply and quit. I hadn't even finished with book publishing, and I had intended to go into short story and poem publishing as well. But it just isn't worth it; you haven't even used a search engine yet, or you'd have narrower questions.

Do the groundwork. Then ask the questions. Because saying "Hi, I'm new to all this, and I'm feeling lazy; please explain a very complicated topic for me, briefly but with all the essential details included," is just rude.

Seriously. (said the grumpy young woman) Just now I put "what are the steps to get published" into Google and the answers were there. Try answer 4 - author Tara Harper's blog. Or answer 2 - the relevant page from absolutewrite dot com. No, not everything out there is useful; Google's sixth suggestion is a vanity publisher. But you'd know that upon reading it (the site isn't exactly subtle about it).

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Read the threads in this section, and you'll pick up a lot of vital information.

4. S-wo

S-wo Active Member

Your post sounds more rude to me than hers. A lot of communities that have old members tend to be harsh when a new person comes in asking questions. We're not trying to chase people away here, we're trying to bring more people in. If I was the first person to post I would've said, "The steps to getting published is a long and difficult, but rewarding process. If you have completed a manuscript and took the time to edit it, then it would be in your best interest to seek an agent. If you would like to learn more then check this site and many others across the web for more info".

5. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

My advice would be to start small and work your way up. duotrope.com has a good listing of markets for both fiction and poetry. Select a few magazines you like and read through some of the pieces they have to get a feel of the type of stuff they publish. It's usually easier to get published in magazines that pay a small amount (or nothing at all), but this is not always the case. Once you gain more experience, aim for some of the higher caliber markets.

6. eden baylee

eden baylee New Member

Bearycool - There are many avenues, and it will also depend on what genre you write. As per the post from S-wo, it can be a long process, but very rewarding. As well, you may consider self-publishing or on-line publishing which could get your work out in the market place faster. My advice is to continue writing. As a writer friend once said to me, "It's not always the best writers who get their work published;it's the ones who keep at it."
    Good luck.

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

yes, googling for basic info and checking out threads here on the various aspects of getting published is the best way to learn what you need to know...

if you have specific questions, go ahead and ask them, but it's always best [and quicker] to google and check site threads with the search option first, to avoid being seen as 'lazy'...

8. HeinleinFan

HeinleinFan Banned

S-wo is quite right. I was indeed rude. I think the rudeness was called for.

I note that no one else actually answered the question, but rather referred the asker to Google, to the search engine and to the threads on WritingForums. Saying "It's complicated and varies by genre" is more tactful than what I said, but the sentiment is there; if it weren't you would have written your own 800+ word response to the asker instead of punting the question.

Seriously though, Google is your friend. Tara K Harper has a great list of the steps it takes to get a book published. Dean Wesley Smith has written numerous "Publishing Myths" posts, which discuss everything from agents, to sending your books in to publishers, to dealing with e-publishing. Kristine Kathryn Rusch's "Freelancer's Guide" on her website talks about setting schedules and dealing with finances once you're published and regularly getting royalty checks.

As a bonus, asking Google or Bing about "book publishers [insert genre here]" will get you a list of places to start sending your manuscript. (Not the whole thing; usually 3 chapters plus synopsis and cover letter or query.) Many publishers' websites will have a section on what they're looking for in a book, including how they want you to format your submitted chapters when you send it in to an editor. A few (for example, Baen, which publishes SF) have an electronic submissions form right on their webpage.

Also, look outside your immediate area. Publishers have been working with writers from out-of-state, across the country or overseas for many years now. The Internet has made it even easier for writers to send their work to publishers far from home. Remember, editors have a fixed goal of "good books" to publish each month, and they don't rely on locals alone to provide the material.

The really big thing about getting a book published is making sure it's not your only project. Publishers can take months to get back to you. In the meantime, keep writing. The more stories and books you keep mailed to editors, the better the odds that one of them will be successful in catching an editor's eye.

Poems are harder. They pay very little, and there isn't much of a market for poetry collections from non-famous poets. You can try -- see Duotrope.com's poetry search -- but all I can do is wish you luck. Poetry's far tougher to make a living from than books and stories.

9. Bearycool

Bearycool New Member

I don't know if the rudeness was ask for or not on my part so I'll let that slide. I just did a board question because I HAVE been looking at threads but all the information is in a lot of bits and pieces and is very space out. I tried to make some sense of it but a lot of it still got very confusing. And so I asked a board question so I may get a better idea on how to piece together everything on this topic. I know there is a very hard process in getting things publish so I'm trying to take steps first, so when I do get everything sorted out in my writing I can easily begin to publish it.

I'm also focused on school so doing 24 hour google searches is a no no until fall break. So another reason why I posted this was so I can focus on my education while getting some feedback from others. (which thank you by the way for your post and others.) Plus not to mention my writing that I do everyday that gets me so adsorb in it that it becomes 12:00 AM before I know it. I'm not saying this as a excuse for not doing MORE on looking up on the subject, I really do try to get as much information in a small amount of time. It's just time isn't on my side until fall break and I have to try to get as much information, like I said, in a small amount of time.

Going back to the sentence on how I try to get information in a short amount of time goes back to the stuff being bits n' pieces that are spaced out. It's trying to solve a 1000 piece puzzle while playing Mozart on the violin. (his music is great to play by the way.) So in my haste I ask this question for future reference.

I'm sorry I did this when I'm so new to the forums but like I said I don't have a lot of time on hands. (maybe around 1 hour of free time?) And yes weekends I have essays to write and homework to do and not to mention church. Again not trying to make a excuse just trying to make it more clear why the thread took life in the first place.

Going back to the google thing. I use it, but trying to sort through for the information you want kind of sucks. It's like the old simile says, it's like trying to find a needle in a haystack. And the short amount of time cuts the time of finding that needle of knowledge I need. And when I do sometimes it's broken into tiny pieces and I have to go back and find those pieces.

I'm not trying to be rude to you Heinlein but I want you to know that I'm trying to find the groundwork like you said but it's hard with everything at once. I just wanted to know this so y'know I'm not trying to be rude to you, which I'm sorry that I made you feel that way, I would just like some information.

P.S. I'm a dude so gender doesn't get confused with my name haha.
    P.S.S. Fall break tomorrow so I'll be able to look at more of the information here
    P.S.S. Again sorry that I sounded rude and ignorant on the subject.

10. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

being a successful writer takes both time and patience... there are no quick ways to either write, or to get what you write published... so, if you're still in school, concentrate on learning what you need to know to be a good writer and do all the requisite 'homework' that all writers must do whenever you have time...

just don't expect others who have done it for themselves and are busy with their own work to be lined up for a chance to do it for you...