1. Published on Amazon? If you have a book, e-book, or audiobook available on Amazon.com, we'll promote it on WritingForums.org for free. Simply add your book to our Member Publications section. Add your book here or read the full announcement.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  1. JTheGreat

JTheGreat Contributing Member

How Do I Start Writing Again?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by JTheGreat, Nov 7, 2010.

Needless to say, I am a procrastinator with most time-consuming things. Like writing long-term. When I start, the words usually just flow until the plot gets uninteresting, though.

I've had this story in my mind for a long time. I really want to write it. But, no matter how hard I think, I have absolutely no plot. I have ideas for characters, and little character development scenes, but other than that, zip. Zilch. Zero.

So, are the story and I not meant to be? Should I just keep thinking about it and try writing something else in the meantime? Since my mind is basically out of good plot ideas, where can I look? Help! Please.

2. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributing Member Contributor

Why not write short stories about your characters? When I am stuck for plot ideas that is what I do.

3. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

I do what Elgaisma does, too. You have characters in mind, so just start writing about them. They'll get up to something if you give them a chance, and you'll have the beginnings of a plot.