1. RIPPA MATE

RIPPA MATE New Member

Descriptive Realism

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by RIPPA MATE, Oct 18, 2009.

My friend challenged me to write a piece of descriptive realism (in the narrative space of 5 seconds mind you ;) ). But i'm not after any plot ideas or how to do it, I was just curious as to how you guys would define descriptive realism.
    RM

2. Sillraaia

Sillraaia New Member

Ask him what he means by descriptive realism. He is the one wanting the reply, he would know what he is wanting better than any of us. Maybe his idea of DR is different to others'.

3. RIPPA MATE

RIPPA MATE New Member

This is true. :)
    However i am curious to know other people's translations.

4. ManhattanMss

ManhattanMss New Member

Your friend may be speaking of a philosophical (even political) concept (descriptive vs. prescriptive realism). Best I can get it, this has to do with defining the world (or perhaps something else) by its attributes vs attributing to the world (or that something else) rationalities that exist only within our own minds. Or something along those lines.

Let us know what he says (tell him inquiring minds :confused: want to know).

5. RIPPA MATE

RIPPA MATE New Member

This was his challenge by quote just to clarify:

'Write me a piece of five hundred words, of descriptive realism which spans the time space of five seconds, with third person narration'

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

It sounds to me like he wants you to paint a static scene with words, so the reader can see the scene clearly. It isn't something I would want to do in an actual story, but it's a good exercise in visualizing a scene that isn't actually before your eyes.

7. RIPPA MATE

RIPPA MATE New Member

Ah cog, this is the idea that i had in my mind that he wanted me to do as well. Exercise yes. he gives me those. I am most grateful for it too. helps.
    I gather he wants me to break the mold and be descriptive and not way out either.

His answer was i quote, 'based in reality.'