Tags:
  1. aguywhotypes

aguywhotypes Active Member

How do I word this?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by aguywhotypes, Dec 1, 2017.

I'm trying to describe a piece of carrot cake I ate.

I need another word instead of like

This is the segment I have so far:

If you cut it like I do, not with a knife but a fork from the top; you can see thousands of dangling strands of carrots as you pull the piece away. Like when you tear a heavily rooted potted plant and you see all those little strands of roots hanging out.

I don't like the word like I use this all the time and I'm getting tired of it. What other word(s) could I use?
    This is the exact image that came to mind when I did actually cut the carrot cake exactly as described. I remember looking at it and thinking of a potted plant and the string like roots dangling as a chunk of potted material breaks off from the plant.

2. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

If you cut it like I do, not with a knife but a fork from the top; you can see thousands of dangling strands of carrots as you pull the piece away. It reminded me of when you tear a heavily rooted potted plant and you see all those little strands of roots hanging out.

3. aguywhotypes

aguywhotypes Active Member

ooh nice.

4. Robert Musil

Robert Musil Comparativist Contributor

"... as you pull the piece away, like you're tearing a heavily rooted plant from its pot and you see..."?

5. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I'd be more inclined to get rid of the first "like" and leave the second... "If you cut it the way I do..."

6. Mouthwash

Mouthwash Senior Member

"If you cut it the way I do, with not a knife but a fork from the top; you can see thousands of dangling strands of carrots as you pull the piece away, like the roots of a potted plant."

My version.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  7. Seven Crowns

Seven Crowns Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Since you're talking to the reader (If you cut it like I do . . .), switch to an imperative and just tell them what to see.

If you cut it like I do, not with a knife but a fork from the top; you can see thousands of dangling strands of carrots as you pull the piece away. Picture/Imagine tearing a heavily rooted potted plant and seeing all those little strands of roots hanging out.​

But I would trim and condense the thought and add specific detail:

Picture pulling a ficus from a clay pot, its whiskery roots in a thousand naked strands.​

8. Skibbs

Skibbs Member

If you cut it like I do, not with a knife but a fork from the top; you can see thousands of dangling strands of carrot as you pull the piece away; the same as when you tear a heavily rooted potted plant and you see all their little strands hanging out.

(I've changed the underlined section as you had already mentioned it was a heavily rooted plant, so there was little need to mention it again - I hope that's okay.)