1. Published on Amazon? If you have a book, e-book, or audiobook available on Amazon.com, we'll promote it on WritingForums.org for free. Simply add your book to our Member Publications section. Add your book here or read the full announcement.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  1. sophia_esteed

sophia_esteed Senior Member

How do I write a query to a publisher, publishing agency?

Discussion in 'Publishing' started by sophia_esteed, Aug 10, 2010.

It's my first attempt at publishing and it's my very first time writing a query to a publisher, or a publishing agency.
    I'd like just a brief explanation of what should I include/not include in the query.

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

there may already be threads here dealing with this issue... i suggest you first do a search for same and check out the info given there...

but you should first be querying agents, if what you are offering is a novel... and there's no such thing as a 'publishing agency'... there are 'publishing houses' and 'literary agencies'... the first publishes books and the second represents the author/work and gets a publisher to accept them...

also, i have a slew of tips from the pros on writing effective queries i'll be happy to send you, if you drop me a line... i can help you write one, too, as i do that for new writers all the time...

it's basically done in 3 paragraphs...

1.intro mentioning why you're querying that agent/publisher; giving the title, word count, genre and intended market...

2.a brief, compelling summary of the plot/storyline...

3.your relevant writing history's paid credits [if you have any]; offer to send sample chapters or full mss; a 'thank you' for considering the work...

whole thing should be no longer than one single-spaced page in tnr 12pt font... you'll find others have their own idea of what to include and how to arrange it, but this is the long-standing standard and will 'fit all' agents/publishers with no stated preference... however, you should always check each agent's/publisher's submission guidelines and follow them, if they specify something other than this...

love and hugs, maia
    maia3maia@hotmail.com

3. sophia_esteed

sophia_esteed Senior Member

Thanks, this should get me started.
    I'll do as you suggest and look for other posts, too, just to make myself an education on the topic.
    I also wrote down your address in case I'd need future reference.
    A big thank you!

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

niente!