1. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Finding Gus and Johnny

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Elgaisma, Feb 25, 2011.

OK I have Iris - she is on my profile always known who physically she was based off. I don't have Gus or Johnny. I have decided to put my current story aside for a time so I am starting them earlier than planned.

I thought I had Gus he is based off one of my old archaeology professors but sometime in last 13 years he has cut his hair and doesn't look the way I expected him to look now lol - need a new idea. Looking for tall, kindly looking grey haired man. Possibly on the lanky side, idea is long hair, beard and glasses but anyone that works with the Gus and Iris stories.

Johnny is a precocious seven year old - I don't want Daniel Radcliffe would like not sure I guess maybe David Tennant as a child or someone blonde

2. -oz

-oz Active Member

...I'm confused. What are you asking for? Pictures of people to base descriptions off of?

3. KillianRussell

KillianRussell New Member

The question is ?

4. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributor Contributor

Why can't Gus still be based off your old archaeology professor? I have characters based off people I knew, am still friends with on Facebook so get a constant spam of their new lives, but totally ignore that in favour of my memories of them. :p As long as you remember what he was like before the hair cut there's no reason you can't base the character off him.

5. Manav

Manav New Member

^exactly my thoughts. Why do you necessarily have to base the physical characteristics of your char on a single person? My chars are physically and emotionally bits and pieces of many people I know. It's like cutting up mug shots of different person and coming up with a completely different person by joining together forehead, eyes, nose and chin of four different mug shots. I may start writing thinking of a person with short hair, but I may just have him have long hair if I come up with a cool scene about his long hair.

6. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

You mean like pictures, casting them? This usually seems to help you.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No idea who any of these people are -- I just Google-imaged "smart kid," "gray-haired actor" etc.

Okay off to write the backgrounder I've been procrastinating on...good luck, hasta luega!

7. Elgaisma

Before I start any new story I build a scrapbook of images - I then know what the locations look like and the main characters.

For characters ideally I like an actor that will have a presence on youtube I can then add videos of body language and movement to the scrapbook. I have been lucky to have picked prolific actors and singers for my main characters before. Yesterday Angus, the Abbot and Iris were all interviewed in one package on the radio (Michael Ball at various stages of his life covers all three). Also its nice if I can get characters that interact at some point but it isn't essential.

My professor is no good - he was too young in the photos I have from Uni and the current ones the look is off.

Johnny is less essential because I do have two little boys I guess I could use my middle one and give him my daughter's attitude. Gus - I do need.
    -

8. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Okay, that makes sense about wanting someone you can look up videos of. I should've thought of that. ;) I'll try and dig up some more stuff tomorrow if I can.

9. Elgaisma

Sorry - message to self do not post after more than one glass of wine.

Thank you Mallory, I need someone who looks like he would carry a handkerchief, stand genteely by smiling while his wife explodes with a loud sneeze. He needs to suit wearing a khaki sweater with elbow pads and probably combats. May even give him a checked shirt. Other alternative is a rainbow sweater that Iris has knitted lol He needs to be fit enough to be able to carry seven year old Johnny on his shoulders but if he is still working as an archaeologist, joining in with the graft he will be fit and strong. Sort of Patrick Stewart but with a tad more hair maybe?