How Do Spinning Space Stations Work?

Discussion in 'Research' started by frigocc, Mar 6, 2019.

Tags:
  1. XRD_author

XRD_author Banned

You don't seem to understand how important a 20-40X difference in specific impulse is.
    It's game-changing.

2. Fallow

Fallow Banned

It may be, but it specific impulse is not a rate, so it has nothing to do with acceleration. You are confusing different factors in the parameters of engine design - efficiency to weight, weight to power, and power to efficiency. The same reasons we don't build turbine powered cars or diesel airplanes.

Ion engines are efficient BECAUSE of a process that puts out small amounts of thrust over long periods.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    Simpson17866 likes this.
  3. XRD_author

XRD_author Banned

No, I'm not confused at all. Specific impulse is "is a measure of how effectively a rocket uses propellant" (Wikipedia), and it dominates rocket design. A 20-40X change implies a completely different architecture.

I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain to you the details; you'd preferably already have mastered freshman-level college physics before anyone even tries to. But the Internet is out there, "go go google search!" -- Inspector Gadget

4. Fallow

Fallow Banned

"Effectively uses propellent" is not a rate, it is a change per mass of fuel without reference to time. You are basically saying that a car that gets 50 miles per gallon is has more thrust than one that gets 25 miles per gallon. But the 50 mpg car is the one with more specific impulse (and likely less horsepower).

Simpson17866 likes this.
  5. XRD_author

XRD_author Banned

I'm saying no such thing; that you think I am just shows you don't know what I'm talking about.

Now stop making us BS and claiming it came from me. That's dishonest, and defamatory.

6. Fallow

Fallow Banned

Why do YOU think specific impulse means "more acceleration", as you have used increases in specific impulse to support your idea that a high specific impulse engine could deliver high enough thrust to simulate gravity?

Simpson17866 likes this.
  7. XRD_author

XRD_author Banned

Seriously, I don't have time to give you the knowledge nearly a decade of higher education and three decades as an R&D engineer have imparted upon me. And that's not what these forums are for anyway.

Go look it up. Read the Wiki article on Specific Impulse. Google some more and find out how it dominates and limits chemical rocket design. Then think about it, and maybe, if you have what it takes to be an engineer or scientist, all that new learning will make you realize that, yes, you might have been wrong.

8. Fallow

Fallow Banned

I read this well before wading into a debate with you:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specific_impulse#Layman's_definition

And it continues to confirm my point that specific impulse is not a rate, and can't be substituted for acceleration thrust, so a claim that a larger specific impulse is equivalent to a larger thrust is erroneous. That doesn't mean a high specific impulse engine can't be high thrust, but just that it doesn't demonstrate that newer ion engines changed their basic quality in being defined as low thrust engines. Maybe they have change, but I haven't found any reference to an ion engine putting out a significant fraction of G.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  9. XRD_author

XRD_author Banned

This just shows how little you understand even the basics of physics: no rocket engine "puts out" Gs.
    They put out thrust, and that thrust divided by the mass it acts on produces acceleration which can be measured in Gs.
    This is high-school physics: Newton's laws, F=MA -> A=M/F. If you don't understand it, you have no business talking about what various advance propulsion technologies can and cannot do.

10. Fallow

Fallow Banned

No, I was merely stating that I have heard of no application of an ion engine that produces high acceleration in the complete vehicle. No need to try and play gotcha.

All of this comes down to whether there is an ion engine with a very high fuel flow rate to turn a high specific impulse engine into a high thrust engine. Do you know of one?

Simpson17866 likes this.
  11. exweedfarmer

exweedfarmer Banned Contributor

It's science FICTION! Do as you like.

12. XRD_author

XRD_author Banned

What part of "no reason to have only one ion engine, or even only one hundred" did you not understand?

You do understand that when you're running multiple rocket engines, the thrust adds up, right?
    I only ask because you seem to have no knowledge of physics at all.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  13. Fallow

Fallow Banned

You did read the previous comments about how adding engines adds weight, which moderates the change in thrust to mass ratio by adding mass, right?

Satire: I only ask because you seem to have trouble reading.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  14. XRD_author

XRD_author Banned

Then why does the Falcon 9 use nine engines, and the Falcon Heavy 27?
    Seriously, you just don't get it. It's like you think the engine mass is a significant portion of the mass of a typical rocket. Come on man, even a person who can't read could look at the pictures and see it isn't.

15. Fallow

Fallow Banned

I would assume the Falcon heavy uses more engines because it masses more. Are you suggesting it uses more engines to achieve greater acceleration than the Falcon 9?

Engine mass isn't the that significant, unless you're counting the fuel per engine toward that mass, which has already been addressed. We are discussing engine plus fuel.

16. XRD_author

XRD_author Banned

See, here's the problem: you're "assuming."
    I know.

17. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022

I concur. They have an inherent top speed but it’s way above chemical. I didn’t mention it because I assumed we were talking about relatively short flights to the planets. I’d expect by the time we work our way out to the stars, the whole conversation would be mute and we’d use some more advanced technology.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  18. Fallow

Fallow Banned

You really ought to take this down a notch. No one is being as rude as you are, and you really aren't addressing the comments made.

So I formally withdraw "assume" because I'm certain that the Falcon Heavy is, in fact, designed to lift a much greater payload than the 9.

19. XRD_author

XRD_author Banned

Eh, I'm done here.

My WIP is hard SF, and I've got the science and engineering chops to pull it off.
    If other people want to embarrass themselves by making basic physics mistakes in their manuscripts, that's fine. Why should I correct their mistakes? I don't need more competition in my genre.

Besides, this is a writing forum.
    People with physics questions should try www.physicsforums.com.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  20. exweedfarmer

exweedfarmer Banned Contributor

Why does even the simplest thing devolve into a flaming match?

21. Fallow

Fallow Banned

If you can't explain yourself in a dialogue, what makes you think you can do it when no one is asking for clarification? I'm well educated and have worked in aerospace for 12 years.

Matt E likes this.
  22. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Same, but in computers. We use QM on a regular basis.

I’m also a long time member at that physics forum you mentioned, they don’t allow rhetoric like that there either.

23. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Does even a research thread need to be closed nowadays? Everyone, keep it down. Now, I know nothing about Physics, nor do I care enough about this to look it up - what I do know is I don't want a flame war on my turf. People, please speak politely to each other. If you feel you cannot do it, it is ok to be quiet and move on. I'll leave the thread open for now but if this continues, I will come back and close it!

[​IMG]

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  24. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Sci-fi movies and books flaunt even the most basic laws all the time.

25. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

There is already a thread on Artificial Gravity that may or may not have some information you're looking for.