1. The Magnan

The Magnan Active Member

My one weakness is reviewing

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by The Magnan, Jan 25, 2012.

I'm worried the reviews i posted, are inadequate and not in enough detail, in other words I don't want to post my work in the creative writing section only to find the thread locked because my reviewing is terrible and not perceptive enough. I'm not someone looks at grammar since I'm not strong enough in that area myself. However, I do post suggestions or ideas, and what I liked, I would just like to know that my reviews are up to a decent enough standard. Then I can relax knowing I can cease worrying.

I guess my reviewing will improve the more I do it, So I guess I'll give it my best shot in the end.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The effort is the key. Almost no one immediately knows how to critique effectively, and the workshop exists to develop and hone that skill.

Good critiquing is the road to better writing, because self-critique lights the way from first draft to polished manuscript.

3. The Magnan

The Magnan Active Member

Thanks, for the advice.

4. AmyHolt

AmyHolt New Member

There are certainly some reviews that are better than others but if you only tell what you were thinking as you read the piece it's still helpful. If you had to reread something three times to make sense of it and you note that, that's good. Or if you read something and a different/better words pops into your head, say so. If something didn't flow right, mention it. A critique can simply your thoughts and impression on a piece. I find those critiques very helpful because I know my story so well I forget to mention things because I assume the reader already knows it (since I do). If I didn't have readers say, this didn't make sense, it would take me forever to pull a scene together and I might never notice some of the issues.