How do you deal with writing rejection?

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by Ashley Harrison, Feb 16, 2016.

1. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Are these UK agents?

I've never heard of a US agent asking for anything like that.

2. Ashley Harrison

Ashley Harrison Active Member

Yes, they are UK agents. You're lucky in the US, then.

3. Ashley Harrison

Yes, they are UK agents. You're lucky in the US, then.

4. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I'm not actually in the US.

It's a bigger market, so I focus on it. And if you aren't happy with the state of the industry in the UK, maybe you should try the US market.

5. Ashley Harrison

Do you know, I'm so jaded, that I don't need rejection from across the pond to boot.

6. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Why not just publish on your own?

7. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

....why would they find you? There are countless writers trying to get published; the publishers aren't going to come knocking on your door begging you to give them your book.

If you want to self-publish, OK, do that--I think it's a mistake, but it's your choice. But don't self-publish on the assumption that the odds of a publisher begging for your book are higher than, say, the odds of being struck by lightning.

BayView likes this.
  8. Samurai Jack

Samurai Jack Active Member

I deal with writing rejection the same way I deal with all rejection: a beer a new day.

Cave Troll likes this.
  9. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Well, yes, of course. If a business has an opportunity to create a product that is good, but will lose them money, they will turn down that opportunity. That's pretty much inherent in the definition of "business."

If we want books to be created that are (1) glorious but (2) will lose money, they'll have to come from somewhere other than business, or they'll at least to be subsidized from somewhere else. The first entity that comes in mind in the United States is the NEA; I have no idea if they do any such thing or if they could do such a thing.

Edited to add: Huh.

http://blog.sfgate.com/bookmarks/2014/10/16/mcsweeneys-to-become-a-nonprofit-publishing-house/

"The San Francisco publishing house McSweeney’s will become a nonprofit, allowing the acclaimed small press to continue taking on projects that don’t necessarily make money..."

Cool. One example of the concept.

10. Ashley Harrison

Hi Tenderiser,

Considering your love for the immortal Rik Mayall, do you like the 'Bottom' live stage shows better than the television series and movie they did?

Kind regards,

Ashley.

11. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

For me it goes

The series > Guest House Paradiso (slightly below) > The live shows (very variable in quality, but even the best isn't as good as GHP)

I help run a fan page on Facebook, if you're a member :) https://www.facebook.com/groups/699078866903905/

12. Ashley Harrison

Really? Gosh! I agree about the varying quality of live stage shows. 4 and 5 don't live up to expectations for me. I could be completely off the mark but after Rik's tragic accident in 1998, everything seemed to change. 1, 2 and 3 of the live stage shows, when they can improvise for 100 minutes is amazing. The interaction and chemistry they both have, is second to none. I just watched 'Guest House Paradiso' again two weeks ago and the 'pheeb' bit of the movie when Richie's in the dining room and Eddie's in the kitchen waiting to take the breakfast order, plus the "candle in the eye" made me laugh so hard my stomach muscles ached afterwards. Two of the best comedians that have ever been in the business. Unfortunately this is the only social media I use, I don't have Facebook.

I know they are not equivalent, but you seem to have a great taste in comedy. :) Do you also like Reece Shearsmith and Steve Pemberton? They did 'The League of Gentlemen', 'Psychoville' and are currently making 'Inside No.9'?

13. Kevin Mackinnon

Kevin Mackinnon New Member

12079100_10153572328846291_2191842367714772677_n.jpg

Cave Troll and Ashley Harrison like this.
  14. Ashley Harrison

That's exactly the same misunderstanding, that happens to me all the time. :D

15. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

I don't really care if i get rejected or not, that's just part of the writing process. You have to have faith in your work and never stop, that's how writers partly get their recognition.

16. Ashley Harrison

I wish I had your resilience.

17. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I think I took my first rejection fairly well. Marketing is not my strong suit. I told myself that I was not bad enough to be accepted by some indie publisher, because my novel is out their league. Then I ran out of beer, and decided that it is hard to sell awesome to idiots. Haven't heard back from the other publisher, but hey at least I tried damn it. Then I concluded that no one is gonna want to publish something that breaks the mold on how I wrote the darn thing. Maybe one day you will be able to get it as an ebook for a small sum, and then leave some random review. Lacking the nerve to jump back into trying to pitch the darn thing, cause of noob status as a writer. :p